Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pongalong_gw

what to do???

Pongalong
11 years ago

Hi. I have a amaryllis that I kept, all summer, but I am not sure what to do? It only has 3 leaves on it. Do I force it into dormancy by withholding water or do I wait for it to grow more leaves? HELP!!!

Comments (7)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Actually, you can do either. If I only had one bulb I think I would bring it in, put it in a sunny window and continue to feed it and let it grow through the winter. Then, I'd go out any buy another bulb that has been already primed for you to bloom for the holidays..You can buy nice cheap bulbs at just about any big box store.. the choice is yours!

Donna

• Pongalong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help Donna! Should I use bone meal for fertilizer? What kind of potting mix do they like?

• Pongalong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help Donna! Should I use bone meal for fertilizer? What kind of potting mix do they like?

11 years ago

They like a fast draining soil so the roots don't stay too wet. They need to be allowed to dry out between waterings. If your plant is inside you could use bone-meal. When my bulbs are out for the summer I stay away from bone-meal but only because it attracts racoons and skunks. Inside you shouldn't have any problems. Only feed your bulb when you have leaves..no leaves will only burn the roots.

Most amaryllis will grow as an evergreen and then of course they will bloom when they feel like it. Most of my bulbs that I keep as evergreen usually will bloom in the late winter or right through spring. The time is up to them unless you force dormancy. If you buy a new bulb for the holidays all the dormancy requirements have been done for you. Just plant and sit back and enjoy your flowers!

Good luck...

Donna

• Pongalong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Donna your a lifesaver! So if I let it keep its leaves it will flower when it wants?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Pongalong, please read the FAQ posted at the top of the message list (do not reply to that message!). It should tell you the many things you need to know about growing amaryllis , soil, getting them to bloom next year, etc.
    K

11 years ago

Pongalong..Yes it will. Do you know what variety it is? Just curious. So, now you can go out and buy yourself another bulb or two.. and when you have the time, do as Kristi suggests and read the FAQ it's full of helpful information.

Donna