Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjbish

Amaryllis in CA

kjbish
9 years ago

Hi all,
I'm having trouble getting my amaryllis to start budding right now.

A little background:
Two years ago I moved 9-10 amaryllis out with me to CA from VA. I've had them all for a long time anywhere from 6-2 years. In VA, I of course hibernated them in my closet for a few months in order to get them to bloom again. Here in CA, I haven't done that because of the weather. I have just let them bloom on their own schedule, and so they have done until now. They all bloomed anywhere from december to march this year, and when each was done I removed the stem and moved it outside onto my patio to let the leaves grow out. Normally, by this time each year I can usually see the flower buds start peaking up out of the bulbs, but as of yet there is no sign of them. And all their leaves are thriving rather than wilting. Anyone else in the LA area knows that its been unseasonably hot (75-85 degrees) throughout october and december.

My question: How can I get them to start blooming again? Should I cut off the leaves and bring them inside? Should I put them in the dark closet for awhile? Should I just bring them inside and keep watering them as usual?

Any help would be so much appreciated. I'm very attached to this particular batch!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions