Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Saving Forced X-Mas Bulbs...How?

aveo5
12 years ago

Ok..I am going to TRY and save my 2 new Red Lion bulbs that I bought today. After the bloom show, what do i do with them? I can grow Papilio easily,in pots, and Lemon-Lime,and Limona. But when I have tried in the past to save these X-Mas forced bulbs, I usually ened up with nothing in a few months. Should I try to grow them in the pot outside, here in south Fla? Or plant in the ground,where....in shade or sun? Remember in summer it is an oven on full here. Or should I just ditch them after Christmas like I use to do.

But now that I am going to get a Green Dragon, and it seems to be like a Red Lion 'type' amaryllis. Not like a species that is easy to grow. I kind of need to know how to grow the Green Dragon after it blooms. I know they are not like the Papilio...even the Lemon-Limes are smaller and they do well here,in pots,and potbound. Is potbound good for them? I mean the Red Lion and Green Dragon. The Papilios get potbound in 1 season. I have to seperate them nearly every spring.

So...any tips on growing the Red Lion/Green Dragon 'types' after they bloom. At the price of the Green Dragon, I HAVE to save it. The Red Lions are no great loss....but i would like to TRY and save/grow them. Hints?

Comments (3)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

You live in Zone 10? Straight into the yard they go! I grow all of mine in the round, year-round. Pick a part sun/part shade or all shade spot. Florida is ideal for hippies. :)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Aveo,

I wouldn't classify Red Lion and Green Dragon as similar types at all! You really shouldn't be having any trouble getting your Red Lions to grow well in the ground..give them shade from the hottest part of the day, several hours of sun in the morning and later in the afternoon would be great. But, as for Green Dragon, I wouldn't plant that out side in the soil after it blooms. Maybe if you're successful getting it to grow leaves, you can try growing in the ground another year, but Green Dragons can be fussy. Now this is just my opinion based on my experience, but I would plant it in a good sized pot ( I use clay ), and definitely give it some shade..If it is in a pot, you can judge for yourself if it is too hot and move the pot around as you see fit. Red Lions are work horses and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be able to get them to grow many green leaves after forced bloom, with just normal care, but then again, I'm a Northern gardener and maybe Red Lions don't like the heat, I don't know. I think Green Dragon needs to be pampered, it's a miniature, so try it in a pot for the first season, if it thrives, you can always plant in in soil at a later time...Good Luck. By the way, my Green Dragon languished out on one of my sunny decks for the summer, growing a few leaves, but not growing vigorously. Now it's inside in a sunny window for half a day and it has sprouted 3 new shinny green leaves. I think it likes the moderate temps of the house and the half day of just bright light..All this is just my opinion of course, so listen to what others might have to say on this subject after all I'm a northern gardner. And don't forget your other alternative..Evergreen...

Donna

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I couldnt have imagined planting any amaryllis into teh ground, we have such a nematode problem here, that is why I only see this one red amarllis in old gardens.I think it is a native or something. I wouldnt put the Green Dragon in the ground anyway. i expected it to be like the Papilio,a special one that needs a bit of better soil and care. I thought the flower was bigger than the everGreen one that others have told me to get, and I am going to try and but a few.
    But i will put the Red Lions in the ground after blooming and the leaves start to grow again. I would love to get a big clump of them growing, and if they bloomed again next year, I would be thrilled!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions