Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippeastrumadmirer

Has this ever happened to you?

hippeastrumadmirer
12 years ago

Have you ever bought an amaryllis (hippeastrum) bulb from a reputable companie and it was completelly healthy and everything, but there was never even one blooming stalk that came out of the bulb even after 6 moths-1 year?

Comments (6)

• haweha
    12 years ago

The only case where this should be - rather - likely to oCCuRR is H.papilio.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I have had this happen with the variety "Misty". It's not completely unheard of.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I've had it happen with Rock N Roll, Misty, Amoretta and Charmeur..two of them still haven't bloomed..so it's not unheard of..as well as of course papilio....there are more, but I can't remember off the top of my head....

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Hmmm... Misty seems to be a reluctant bloomer, then. I'm not the only one with a Misty that wouldn't show itself! It did finally bloom... but it took well over a year after I planted it!

I wonder what the problem was? I have had bulbs skip a bloom cycle, though, after several cycles of regular bloom... so, maybe it simply needed more rest to recharge. Or perhaps conditions weren't right to set buds for the following cycle.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I don't think 'Misty' is the strongest grower, I think it's an F1 hybrid between two species one I'm assuming to be a form of H. vittatum such as var. tweedianum. The leaves are reminiscent of a desert species, maybe H. parodii. H. papilio I thought to be included but I'm not incredibly sure now.

Isn't this a Fred M. hybrid? He typically used very exotic Hippeastrum for his breeding programs which are quite difficult to grow successfully.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Detailed information on the origin of some named varieties is hard to come by, though I believe Fred Meyer did, indeed, have a hand in the creation of many familiar and unfamiliar varieties, with quite a few Cybister types and those originating from Papillio.

I can't seem to find much information on Misty, as an individual bulb. It doesn't appear in "The Gardener's Amaryllis" by Veronica Read, and any other information I've come across is sketchy, at best... although, I didn't follow every link Google coughed up.

I couldn't guess at the heredity of Misty... such theorizing is not my forte. Now, if my husband were interested in Amaryllids, he'd be able to accurately name the parentage... as a lifelong canine enthusiast and successful breeder, his knowledge of canine ancestry is unparalleled and his theorizing of crosses uncanny. Seriously, he can accurately state the ancestry of any dog, most easily the Molosser types. But that's part of lifelong involvement with, and study of a species, I suppose.

Certain genetic crosses do tend to be weaker than others, though, which could apply to Misty, quite simply. And if one of its characteristics is a particular difficulty in culture, there we have it... it's just not a strong or forgiving bulb to grow for the average gardener. It probably requires certain variables that the average grower doesn't think about, or can't reproduce.

My Misty bulb is still viable, still quietly sitting in its clay pot on the windowsill, but it's not doing much of anything. It grows leaves occasionally, but has only seen fit to bloom the one time. I'd qualify it as a rather "sleepy" bulb. :-)