Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewel106

lowes susan

jewel106
13 years ago

about a month ago i bought one of the susan kits and it is now blooming. i know for a fact that it isn't susan but it is one of the most beautiful miniatures i have seen to date. the blooms are cerise pink, I'll post a few pics later :)

Comments (35)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Jewel, Please do post a picture, if it's that nice we'll all go and get one! Ususlly when they are mislabeled, they go to all the stores mislabeled and maybe someone can identify it. Sometimes you can pick up some great varieties this way as all the bulbs appear to be of good quality this year so far....

Thanks.

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

They were probably all out of Susan's since that's all everyone got last year for other bulbs ;-) I'm looking forward to seeing pictures! Alana

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I went back to Lowes last night to look through their boxes again and NOTHING, I couldn't find the displays anywhere! I couldn't imagine they would be all gone by now???

Josh

• jewel106
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay here they are :) The color simply refuses to be captured correctly, but they are the most beautiful shade of raspberry pink in pixie like proportions.
    {{gwi:436636}}{{gwi:436638}}
    {{gwi:436639}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Is that Hippeastrum "Donau"? I think my Lowes sold this this season.

It's beautiful :)

13 years ago

Thanks for posting..is it Donau? I don't have one so I don't know...does anyone recognize it as it is coming through a raspberry color on my screen.

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

I also purchased a Lowes Susan which was not a Susan but IâÂÂm glad I got the NoID instead of another Susan. This Pink NoID has darker pigmentation near the center of the flower.

{{gwi:432141}}

{{gwi:436640}}

{{gwi:436641}}

I highly suggest anyone who likes pink take a stroll to your nearest Lowes and pick up one of these beauties for yourself.
    I was going to give this flowering bulb away but seeing these flowers made me rethink my generosity (boy am I stingyâ¦Oh and the possible recipient hinted they would not want it).

AJ

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Looking at AJ's pics, this is Donau which a wonderful hybrid :) It is supposedly really hard to come by! I hope my two turn out to be "Donau" :)

Josh

13 years ago

So..if Lowe's Susan is Donau, what is Lowe's Donau....Susan?

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

IDK, good question, did anyone happen to buy a Lowes "Donau"? I didn't pick that one up, they didnt have it here but Kristi said they had it at hers?

Josh

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Ha ha ha I love that question! My Lowes did not carry Donau but I did also pick up an Oskar and so far it looks like a miniature and not like the picture on the box, BIG surprise there.

13 years ago

Oh No! Is it at least red??! I was going to give my Oskar to my Father, he likes Big and Red, but not Small and Pink...so I guess I'd better keep it.... and so.... the season begins.....

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Donna, it is red and small. It looks to be smaller than the pink NoID, nothing is wrong with it. Only it does not exactly match the picture on my Oskar box. You know how these bulb kits are. It will probably be quite cute only not exactly what the box shows. The Swith-a-roo only makes me laugh, you know it is coming when you buy the kit.

• beetle_2007
    13 years ago

Hi Jewel,
    It sure looks like you have a Donau:) I have had mine for six years or so, and it is a Wonderful plant. It pups readily, and never fails to bloom [four small but exquisite colored flowers:). When I first got it, it came in a box kit labeled Orange Sovereign lol, so the miss labeling continues :)

• beachplant
    13 years ago

The Lowes in Texas City and the one on 646 got new displays sometime last week.
    The top of the display has little boxes with Susan, Oskar, Star of Holland, Desire and apple blossom, there may have been another like Red Lion for $3.98, bulbs only, the bulbs are pretty decent size. Texas City was almost sold out of them already, only 2 left.
    The next shelves have decorative boxes, 4 colors, then 4 colors of a ceramic pot, each with a diffent bulb. The bulbs were Donau, Aphrodite, Lady Jane, Vera, Denver, Prince Carnival, Pasadena and DUH! I forget the last one. Ah! Apple Blossom I think it was. $9.98 each. The boxes are hard to look through and one of the workers came and stood over by me when I was going through boxes so I left LOL. The Denver I picked up was huge but when I went to Texas City and looked through boxes the rest were much smaller. Bulbs are medium size and for the most part in good shape. Same company as last year. They do have contact information. The display on 646 was still shrink-wrapped and I almost missed it.
    Sams has a display of Red Lion, Minerva and paperwhites, these are in glass jars, just add water kind of thing. $14.27. I couldn't take them apart to see how big the bulbs are and wasn't going to pay that much for Red Lion or Minerva bulbs.
    Somewhere in Time in the Heights in Houston is advertising they have their amaryllis bulbs in now.
    Tally HO!

• jewel106
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the prompt responses y'all :) actually i knew it wasn't going to be susan when i bought it, the pre-emerged scapes were far to petite, but i prefer miniatures anyways :) i think i may cross it with papilio...
    i saw the ones in the little takeout containers at my lowes also, there were only a few left and you could tell that they had been examined by others bitten by the hippy bug. it seems chad is spreading like wild fire these days :)
    ~ julie

13 years ago

Oh No! You say the pre-emerging scapes were far to petite, but I never thought of that, there is quite a large scape on the Susan I bought hoping for the raspberry red! Oh no, I'll probably end up with another Susan, not the Donau!! Why can't they get these mislabels straight and mislabel all of one variety...What say you all...is this Susan or Donau..or am I just going to have to sweat it out..?

Donna
    {{gwi:436644}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Hard to tell from the picture I'm afraid Donna - was it one of those little boxes you got? I just went and got one today. They didn't have many left and I didn't notice them when I bought the Oskar in the bigger box. I have to say, though, that the Oskar I bought in the bigger box is a bigger bulb than the ones in these "little take out containers" - perfect name for them Julie!

Donna, need me to go buy you one just in case?

Alana

13 years ago

So everybody's Susan that turned to Donau came from those take-out boxes like my Oakar? All they had at my Lowe's in the take-out boxes was Oskar. My Susan came from one of the 4.98 or 5.98 box kits. I guess I'll just have to wait it out... I hope you got the right one...and hope that all the Susans are mislabeled...!

Thanks,

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Here is my Oskar, it is a red miniature with white markings.

{{gwi:432140}}

This hippie is smaller than the Susan NoID. I am not confident the pink NoId is a Donau because all top three petals of mine are thinner than the pictures I have seen of Donau. The top three petals also have all firmly bent backwards in a form I have not seen in Donau pictures. Just what I have been thinking about mine.

Oh and my NoID Susan is more of a midsized flower than what I consider a miniature but again my two cents about my bulb.

AJ

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I don't know if each variety is mislabeled, like are all the Susans the same not Susan? Or are they all going to be different, will you get 6 different bulbs if you bought 6 Susans? I bought pretty much one of each, except Apple Blossom so we'll see.
    At least the bulbs all appear healthy this year, even those $5 ones at Walmart, I looked in the boxes but resisted.
    Tally HO!

• beetle_2007
    13 years ago

Just for interest, here is a pic of my Danua. Sorry it isnt a better shot of it, it is a lot brighter pink and has the same white stamen as Jewels?
    {{gwi:436648}}

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Sorry everybody if I seemed argumentative about labeling the not Susan a Donau. I re-read my post and thought it sounded argumentative which was not what I was going for at all. What's in a name right? Beetle if you think it looks like Donau your probably right. I looked at other pictures of Donau that showed similar white color breaks that also appear in these not Susans. :> Your pictures also show back bending petals. I think if anyone can get your hands on one of these you will love it.

AJ

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

The "Donau" and the Pink NOID both have the deep canals on the tepals as well as the white tipped stigma as well as the same general size and since the same company that is selling "Susan" is also selling "Donau" I would think it's safe to bet the pink NOID is "Donau". I had a "Donau" several years ago, it was my first Hippie :)

Your red NOID looks to me like an "Oskar" with white color breaks, it's beautiful :)

• cindeea
    13 years ago

I agree with Donau on NOT-Susans. I got my Donau as an mis-label a few of years ago and it is dainty with a most stunning pink with lavender hues here in the Florida sun. The more sun mine gets the more it pics the lavendar side. ...pic of my Donau(I was playing with lighting)
    {{gwi:375276}}From Amaryllis 2008-09

I also just purchased Susan-In-A-Box from Lowes a few weeks ago (while wheelchair bound and hubby couldn't refuse me). My bulb is quite large, near Jumbo size, so I am hoping I get the real Susan...we are all on a wait-n-see train for Susan!!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Cindee, let me know if you don't get the Susan you're looking for... I kept trying for Mistys last season and getting Susans so I do have a few extra ;-) Alana

• cindeea
    13 years ago

LOL, thanks Alana, Misty is another fav of mine that I replaced this year from John Sheepers. I hope I get it right! I loved my Misty. But it suffered from my way too often Rehab times. It is a delicate type flower that really makes a decent pollen parent. I crossed her with Striatum and can't wait to see those results of pink and orange. The Susan I bought this year because one of my best friend's name is Susan...now when are they going to come up with an "Alana" and a "Cindee"???? I bet EVERYONE would run out to buy those two!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Ha - well it turns out they used to have an Alana Maguire but they retired it. Phoenix Ryan had tried to get it for me but it wasn't available. We'll have to look for a Cindee for you. Or just maybe some close second like "Lovely Friend" ;-)

Alana

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I got a "Misty" this year and the bulb seemed to resemble that of a cybister, I'm a bit worried that it's mislabled :( You know how cybisters have that very narrow longer neck and they have the certain color about them??? I hope it's a "Misty" :):)

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Josh, I double checked my new Misty from Sheepers, it doesn't have a goose neck, rather regular. Where did you get your Misty? Mine made a lovely seed parent BTW.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Mine is from Easy To Grow, I hope it's correct, it is one of the flowers you've just got to see in person :)

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Not even a good photo, but I love it's trumpety shape and girly pink & green
    {{gwi:436650}}From Amaryllis

I hope yours is true Josh, she is a gem!! I lost this one and I pray my replacement is good.

• linda.s.green
    12 years ago

I recently bought a "Susan" amaryllis bulb at my local Lowe's. It's a lovely pink color, but as the other posters have said, it's not Susan. Guess Lowe's just wants to sell mislabeled bulbs. I for one like to choose a color other than red for amaryllis bulbs. I have so many red one already. I won't buy any other bulbs from Lowe's from now on, knowing that this one was mislabeled.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

This year's Lowe's "Susan" looks exactly like Jewel's photos in the fifth post from the top. There are so many blooms exploding out of the box tops that it is easy to confirm that each Susan is, well, not a Susan.

Carol

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Same with the Lowe's box that shows a darker pink bloom labelled "Best Seller". All those box jumpers look identical to Jewel's photo also.

Sponsored
More Discussions