Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Greenhouse nearly packed to the rafters - ok, not really!

I just went out and counted the pots in the greenhouse. Most are 1 gallon, straight-sided....on 12 shelves and the floor, there are 190 pots. Many have more than one bulb (mother and an offset or 2). I actually have room for another 2 -4 shelves, just isn't practical since when they start blooming, I need to have a few feet for scapes (bloomers get moved to the top 5 shelves to show off!).

THEN on he enclosed porch there are 50 pots of 1-year-old seedlings, typically 2-3 bulbs/pot...and I have about 10 in the house, either in the greenhouse window or bathroom window, that are "special" or getting ready to bloom. Ten more bulbs are due from RC and there are 20 in the fridge...

That's over 250 pots!! and over 400 bulbs! Can't wait until spring as it looks like...fingers crossed...many of my crosses may be large enough to bloom!!

:-)

Kristi

Comments (20)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Uh Oh...I forgot the 50 pots of this year's seedlings growing under lights....2-4 seedlings/pot. I'm sunk!! That's 500+ bulbs...
    Kristi

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

OH MY :)

How many of your crosses may bloom this spring? I'm excited!!!

• allstarsgymnast7
    12 years ago

Good heavens! Haha. Seems like someone will have a beautiful greenhouse in the spring!! Can't wait for pictures!!

-Kate

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Hello Kristi!

I am a bit more calm, since my baby is born! But i have ordered some ar RC! pssssssst!
    Best regards

Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered from RC, but apparently my box was the last to be shipped (hoping that means Paul saved the best for last!) and I hope it arrives today...or maybe Friday. I have spaces waiting for them...

How is the baby? We havent' heard much from you at all lately!
    Kristi

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Holy mackerel! (I hope you already maxed your IRA and 401k!) Now that's an addiction! But I understand... I suffer too...

Original Author
    12 years ago

In my earlier life, I loved "bright shiny things"...now it's amaryllis. This is definitely more affordable!

Josh...I'll try and post some of the seedlings that are getting big enough...a few I know off the top of my head are:

Gordie selfs (lots of 'em)
    Gordie x Exotica
    Gordie x President Johnson
    Gordie x Limona
    President Johnson x Charisma
    President Johnson x Charmeur
    Lady Diana x Jewel
    Red Lion x Jewel
    Limona x Jewel
    Red Pearl x Red Nymph (what I was hoping for!?...red)

Those are the ones I know by heart...but I know I made lots more...
    K

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Kristi,

I CAN'T WAIT to see those Jewel crosses and the Red Pearl and Red Nymph could result in a very dark red double? Wouldn't that be really nice!?!

I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed ;)

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Wow, Kristi! That's a good sized addiction! :-)

I know they'll be beautiful... and it's so exciting to see the results of crosses that you made yourself!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

:-) The baby is fine, getting his first tooth and is growing really well.
    {{gwi:436828}}
    In summer i am sharing my addiction with tropical hibiscus, for that reason it is a bit silent around me in this forum in the summertime.
    {{gwi:436829}}
    All my hippies are in the cellar now for dormancy, except the Japanese. But a RC- order will come next week and i think, You will hear a bit more about me in the future. Lots of greetings to all, they did miss me! :-)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Frank!

Your baby is adorable, but why did I think "he" was a "girl"..my mistake! Good luck with that first tooth and look at all that hair!!

Your hibiscus is stunning and hope you get some real beauties from RC..good to see you back!

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Nooo she is a cute little girlie!
    You are right!

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Adorable baby... and a beautiful Hibiscus!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

She's adorable!!!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

It is like with all the other parents. She is the best! :-)
    And she is interested in plants! She likes to rip off the flowers and toch everything green.
    Best regards

Original Author
    12 years ago

YAY!...start her young! Helpful little hands are useful as they can reach into tiny places yours can't!

Please post occassional photos so we can watch her grow too!
    Kristi

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

I will Kristi!
    But remember me from time to time.

{{gwi:436830}}

Here with Your friend!
    Best regards

Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh...Donnie has a new best friend!!
    Of course I remember you!!! Laka does too!
    K {{gwi:436831}}

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Very nice photos... of baby and friend, and of Kristi's companion... very nice!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Laka looks likeshe is watching TV! :-) She is a real beautie. Sorry at all for the lots of offtopics.
    Frank

Sponsored
More Discussions