Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Espoma Organic Potting Mix

Posted by GrowSis 9B Inland Empire,CA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 19:09

I am not going to mix my own. Really and truly I'm not. Given that limitation will the following product work to grow my (only) plant and not harm it. It's been growing in coir for 2 years and now needs to be re-potted when I take it out of dormancy next week. I just need fresh soil in a bigger pot that won't hurt my plant. I would like it to grow stronger than in the coir (which has been just fine but is not readily available) but only if I can achieve that easily/cheaply. Unfortunately the company doesn't list the product sheet so I can't investigate the ingredients. Although I am suspicious of the myco-tones. Has anyone used this one? Any wisdoms? Complaints? General reviews are good but none are Amaryllis-specific. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Espoma Organic Potting Mix

If it's organic, then I suppose (guess!) it's got lots of wood, mulch, etc. Stuff that will break down. You could add inorganics to improve draining and air circulation around the roots. This would include things like: sand, perlite, decomposed granite, pea gravel, and/or "chicken grit" (I think this might be crushed oyster shells). Look at the FAQ(don't reply to it) and read the discussion on potting media. Lots of good info there!
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here