Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

The Green Dragon Amaryllis

aveo5
12 years ago

Hi. I have just seen a few 'commercial pictures' of this amaryllis,and wantto buy it...but want to find out if its worth the money, and do i get a GREEN flower or not?

In some pictures it is nearly all white or yellowish with little green, then others look VERY green and only minor yellow around the edges. Is it green or not? Does anyone have some pictures of their own Green Dragons and be willing to post one or two, so i can see what really comes out of the bulbs.

My 'Lemon-Lime' flowers are mostly yellow and only have some green, not a big amount. is this just another version of lemon-Lime? Or is it worth the money to get a GREEN amaryllis?

Does it usually put out 2 bloom stalks? Or is it the usual 1 stalk bloomer? How many blooms do you get per stem? just want to get some information about this one, before I spend the money.

Comments (13)

• haweha
    12 years ago

I can but answer to the "usual 1-stalk-bloomer" question.
    Hippeastrum bulbs of a decent size produce GENERALLY 2 scapes. Exceptions are particularly within species Hippeastrums, such as H.papilio.
    As to the green color, some advertisers are enthousiastic in their appraisal and yes, they tend to "enhance"the colors to a degree...This comes to light, at-the-latest if you carefully inspect the pictures of their complete assortment. I have seen some blueish-purple colors that everybody with a sense of "what is real" can recognize on the spot as "artificial" - I am sad to say that.

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I know that pictures are touched up a lot....thats why I was hoping someone might have some pictures of their own Green Dragon Amaryllis blooms to post, so I could see IF they are green....or just have green throats. I have green throats in my Papilios. I just want to know if this Green Dragon is a Green flower, or a yellow/white one with a green throat?

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

I have 3 that are budded up so can answer as soon as they open. I think I had some last year that got hit by my greenhouse freeze and everything that survived was sick and bad after that but I think I did see nice green color on it.I'm trying again with fresh bulbs this year. I have had other lime green amaryllis I loved...have to look back and see if I can find the name, it escapes me right now. And I was quite disappointed in some of the green tone ones that are mostly yellow. I know I have had one green that was small but lovely.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Aveo5

Here are two pictures of my Green Dragon that bloomed last November..as you can see they are definitely green, albeit light green, the bulb was very stressed and I think it will be another year or so before it blooms again, but I loved it...I could have sworn I had a picture of it with Lemon Sorbet, but I couldn't find it...

outside

{{gwi:436860}}

and inside with flash

{{gwi:436861}}

Hope this helps.

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

If you're really interested in getting a true green get 'Evergreen', it's absolutely GREEN!

12 years ago

But Josh, look how green that eye is in contrast to the rest of the flower..!! (No messing with the colors either..I never do that!!) I bought an Evergreen myself a week ago for the first time so I'll see if I like it as much..I really loved the perfect shape of the Green Dragon flower, and mine was very stressed. It did have two scapes and at least 4 flowers per scape, but I don't think they all opened. I can only imagine how beautiful a non- stressed bulb might be...Maybe I'll like Evergreen as well, but I always like shorter stalks and I'm expecting a tall one on Evergreen, right!!

Donna

12 years ago

Hey, The're messing with my picture!! You have to click on the X to see it...gremlins again....

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. Those are the pictures I have seen in the ads and online. So it is THAT green. They remind me of a Granny Smith Apple:). That is the green I like. I have seen the EverGreen one in a catalog I have and it is ALL green, but each bulb is $27 with shipping! The Green Dragon is not far behind in price, but it is a much bigger flower. But now that I think of it, the Green Dragon wont grow a second year, or forever in the south Fla. heat/sun will it? I just thought of that. Or am I wrong? Is it like the 'Christmas' amaryllis bulbs that give you a giant stalk or two of flowers, then thats it, it dies off in spring as soon as the heat hits? IF you live where it is to hot the Green Dragon is a one shot grower/bloomer...or am I wrong? The Evergreen looks like it would be like A Papilio type, that is evergren and grows all year, even in the Fla. heat. Is that right? I can only get one. Which do I buy? I grow the Papilios with ease,and they bloom all the time. But the Green Dragon looks like the 'Christmas' type amaryllis, that you buy for like $5 now at Lowes, and it blooms great for Christmas, and then thats it for south Fla. and other hot climates. The only amaryllis I see in the ground here in Ft.Lauderdale, let alone in pots, is a small red one, that blooms in the spring, with white stripes, and then the Papilios. Should I go for the Dragon or the EverGreen?

12 years ago

Aveo, I think you should take Josh's advice and get an Evergreen..I think Green Dragon may be a bit to "fussy" for you and might prefer to be pampered in a pot...Just about everybody has an Evergreen and if I remember correctly everybody loves theirs...

Donna

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I would agree with Donna... my Evergreen is a strong grower, and the flower color is a gorgeous lime green! Link to my previously bloomed bulb below... photos untouched.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Evergreen

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I have ordered a Green Dragon on EBay....cost alot! I like the Green color of it. I have all my papilios and my Lemon-Lime and Limona in pots and they all do well here. I a mhoping i have enough money left to buy an Evergreen from the catalog i have. See my next posting...need some tips.

• heinie
    12 years ago

I purchased a few Green Dragon bulbs from Hadeco and they are all green. The bulbs are small and flower with up to 3 spikes at the same time. They offset like crazy too. I have one bulbs that I planted in a 23cm pot and there must be about 15 offset bulbs in the pot if not more.

Heinie
    Cape Town
    South Africa

12 years ago

Heinie,

That's good to know that Evergreen is so prolific with her bulblets..nothing nicer than a big pot full of the same bulb. I am having that experience with my Giraffe..finally about 8 of the 15 or so bulblets attached to the mother bulb have sent up substantial leaves..I am so happy! And, this year I finally bought myself an Evergreen..a nice orange size bulb that just jumped into my cart! I will be thrilled if it even gives me 2 scapes let alone 3 and I will be watching for bulblets!!

Donna

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH
More Discussions