Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstropic

Cirque de Soleil in poor shape

jstropic (10a)
9 years ago

Well, I received the first of my orders from Royal Colors, and the bulbs looked good except for Cirque de Soleil which has a lot of rot, not only on the basal plate put also in the neck, only about a third of the basal plate was left after I cut out the slimy rot.. Royal Colors said I should try planting it, but since it has rot in the neck as well, I wonder if it is better to slice it open and see if I can save it that way. Anyway here is a picture, what do you think. - J

UPDATE: Royal Colors is sending another Cirque du Soleil bulb. Thanks Royal Colors. - J

This post was edited by jstropic on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 5:59

Comments (12)

• blancawing
    9 years ago

OMG, J, that bulb looks terrible!

If there is rot in the neck, and only a fraction of basal plate remaining, cuttage may be your best option. Planting a bulb in that condition without extensive surgical intervention, followed by the application of a fungicide and a drying period, would be a death sentence.

I shudder to think about my RC orders that are still somewhere in transit.

I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 8:22

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Oh No!! That looks pretty horrendous!! I guess I would scoop out every bit of rot and let it dry and dust with
    Captan and hope for the best. It looks like the rot will go right through the center of the bulb but with a little luck it will form some bulblets for you if you plant what is left of it. Some people might plant the remains in just perlite, but I usually just use the same potting soil, just keeping it on the dry side. You've got some decent roots as long as they don't get lost when you do more surgery.

I hope they saved a few for replacements. This isn't what we were expecting but I'm sure they'll make it right for you. I wait with trepidation for my order...âºâºâº

I got an email today that my order from White Flower Farm is on its way, I had two gift certificates that I had to use!

Donnaâºâº

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Royal Colors has been good about satisfying clients, in my experience... so, even though it takes a while to receive packages, they do make good on any errors or other issues.

I would perform some major surgery to get rid of any rot while maintaining as much of that basal plate as I could, dust with an anti-fungal, perhaps give it a day to 'form a slight callous', and plant as you would for pieces of cuttage... I would ensure a little bottom heat, and keep the pot in greenhouse-like conditions until roots sprout.

Keep a close eye on it, but be very patient... the cuttage I performed several years ago on an "Emerald", I think it was, was a big success. The basal plate pieces sprouted healthy roots and grew little bulblets, which eventually became a pot of small bulbs that continues to grow today. I've re-potted them, separating the little bulbs to give them some space. The old basal plate pieces eventually die away after helping to feed the bulblets. It was a very interesting process.

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

I have not received my orders yet from Royal Colors. I am a little worried with this cold weather. Our average first freeze date is December 20, but it may freeze next week. If the bulbs are in the ground by then all will be fine.
    Maida

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, you confirmed what I was thinking. I've been letting it dry after extensive surgery on the basal plate but was concerned about the neck rot. So, I will try cuttage and let you know.

On the positive side the rest of the bulbs look very healthy, this was the only one with rot,

Donna, I asked them if they had extra for replacements,and I'm hoping they do as I really would like to see the flower on this one.

9 years ago

Now that the Arctic Blast has covered most of the U.S. those of us who have yet to receive our bulbs wait with fear of receiving frozen bulbs!!

It's nice to see that a few of you have your orders already. Good luck with your Cirque du Soleil and I do hope you will receive a replacement, a credit for a special irreplaceable bulb isn't much good...

Donnaâºâº

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, unfortunately Royal Colors had no more Cirque du Soleil bulbs :( Hopefully they offer it again next year.

But their customer service was great, as usual, and offered to send my choice of a replacements. Since one of the few bulbs I hadn't ordered (thanks to the enabling of this group lol) was 1804 - that's what I ordered.

I hope all of you get your bulbs soon and that they are in great shape. - J

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

I don't usually worry too much about weather if shipping is through Priority Mail, and if I have a tracking number so I can keep an eye on its progress and know when the package is sent out for delivery.

However, I do worry about items sent by regular post. They are typically not subject to the same care... meaning that packages may be left on a truck overnight, etc...

I normally do not order perishable items after a certain date, and if the weather is rather iffy, I will pay extra for a faster method of shipping.

I hope your package arrives in good order.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Jodi, I don't think anyone could have predicted this storm and the widespread freezing temps lasting for days. For boxes originating in the US, we can track them and it's usually just a few days in transit.

Packages from RC can take weeks to reach us as their shipping methods are "creative", but why a seller in CT would send out packages via "ground" in the middle of this mess and then tell me "the bulbs were just dug up so they had to be shipped while they were fresh" is a bunch of bull. I can't wait to get a box of 5 frozen bulbs that will fill my nostrils with an instantly recognizable stench the moment the box is in my hands. I won't even have to open it to smell the decomposition of a bulb that will soon have the texture of wallpaper paste!!

The fate of my 25 RC bulbs is also in question. Luckily, we are above freezing during the day, but if the box sits out in a truck at night...Ugh. only 3 more days of freezing temps. I would think once the boxes hit the US, they will be at my house within a few days and I can stop worrying.

If I receive unacceptable merchandise, I will have my cc credited for all shipping and merchandise. I know it's not anyone's fault that Astro is blanketing the country with temps so far below normal. RC shipped their boxes a couple of weeks ago; they couldn't predict this weather. Anyone who initiated a shipment in the midst of this mess is nearly guaranteeing unhappy customers.
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great news - Royal Colors found another Cirque du Soleil and will be shipping it. Yay!!! I was really looking forward to seeing that flower so - now I will :), It is so nice to work with Royal Colors. - J

9 years ago

That is great news!! Hope they have a few more on hand just in case some of the rest of us need one!!

Donnaâºâºâº

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hopefully the rest of the bulbs will be in as great shape as the one's Kristi just received and you won't need any replacements!. I still have some coming as well, so I'm hoping and praying along with the rest of you. -J

Sponsored
More Discussions