Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Target sales ad today

Had Smith & Hawken amaryllis bulb kits for $7. Disappointed that they were the typical Minerva, Red Lion, and Paperwhites...but were in a nice glazed ceramic pot, so if you are looking for a holiday gift, might not be toooooo bad.

K

Comments (4)

• aveo5
    12 years ago

I went to my local Target to get a few amaryllis after seeing that ad...thinking the bulbs are new...never saw any up till now at target. I went to Lowes and Home Depot yesterday,and all of theirs are already bloomed in the boxes and were half dead, and they still want full price for them!
    Well this target had the same thing! A $7 amaryllis kit got you a ceramic pot with a bloomed out bulb in it, or a rotted bulb in it. All the boxes had been opened already, and there was nothing to buy. I never saw them in teh store over the past month or so. So they had them hidden away someplace, and i never saw them,till now. For $7,all you get is a burned out bulb and a pretty pot. No thanks.

BUT...I found a VERY small selection of amaryllis bulbs in jute bags. Only two types, 1 Red lion and 2 Minerva bulbs in a jute bag. No soil or anything, just the bulb and instructions. Kind of nice. Would make a nice gift, IF they didnt bloom by Christmas in the bag!

Both on sale for $6 for 1 Red Lion bulb, and $7 for 2 Minervas in a jute bag. 'On sale', but no ad for them. Well i got two HUGE Red Lion bulbs,maybe over 24CM each, rock hard, lots of roots, each has 2 bloom stalks just starting to peak out and the tips of leaves. I was hoping for the ones for $7 in the pot, but man, they were horrible looking. Then i found these hidden away on a bottom shelf, from the same company, and only like 5 of each left. Why they had 2 Minervas in 1 bag, and 1 Red lion in a bag, I dont know. But I dont like the Minerva and most of them were bloomed out already, there was only like 1 good pair left. The Red Lion had 4-5 left. So i got two. See my next post. anyone else run into already bloomed ones as well at Target?

• aveo5
    12 years ago

Just re-posted my experience about Target on another post. I guess I got deleted or something. I am buying all my bulbs on EBay, and have gotten my first one already, a Papilio,with a bloom stalk peeking out of the bulb, possibly a second one, I see something coming up on the opposite side!, and a bulblet the mother bulb! A great buy. A huge bulb, especially for Papilio. I have 2 more coming and an 'EverGreen' from Park Seed at half the price I was going to pay, and its on sale now! And a 'Green Dragon' also from EBay. Many different colors and 'rare' ones. And the 2 great big Red Lions I got at target. They should bloom right at Christmas,I think they are timed just right.

• gshepherd
    11 years ago

I got a Red Lion bulb in a jute bag in a ceramic pot. Do I plant the bulb in the bag in the pot? Since the bag seems to be glued to the bottom of the pot, I don't know whether to remove it or not.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remove the bag!!! If this your first amaryllis, read the FAQ (but don't reply to it) for hints. I don't recall if those ceramic pots have drainage holes. Amaryllis hate wet feet and need drainage. Plant the bulb up to its shoulders and water it. Don't water again til you see growth. If it's already growing, then water it about once a week or when the soil dries out.

Good luck!
    K

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions