Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

My newest favorite is Exotic Star. Have had this bulb for 2 years and this is it's 3rd blooming. It's first time blooming it had 3 scapes with 4 flowers on each. Next time it only had 2 scapes with 3 flowers each..this time 1 scape with just 2 flowers. But, the bulb is really fat again so I'm hoping there will be more scapes to come. Really beautiful flower, I just love this one and it has never had a rest since I've had it.. just keeps growing leaves and flowering when it feels like it...also has a good sized baby...

Donna

{{gwi:437547}}

{{gwi:437548}}

{{gwi:437549}}

Comments (12)

• haweha
    12 years ago

Thank you for showing! My suggestion is that you store each and every Hippeastrum, that tolerates it, leafless, cold and dry during winter.I have become aware, that Hippeastrums do not "reward" it accordingly, when you provide "non invasive" husbandry (= never cutting = never forcefully putting them into storage).
    Continuous growth is very rewarding for seedlings, in order to obtain bulbs that will produce their "maiden" bloom ASAP though.

• haweha
    12 years ago

My bulb of "Exotic Star" is from 2009; 3+2flowers. 2010:2+2; 2011:3+2 the third floret was a "reduced" version with 4 segments LOL! Now the bulb is fat and it is in storage and it has a nice, big fat bulblet attached to it.

{{gwi:437551}}

(with "Ambiance" in the background, it had been EPIC!)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine also is from 2009..maybe they are siblings;-)..my bulb is huge too, but had no rest, still has 5 healthy green leaves and a baby..I do expect to get more scapes from her this season...

I am saving the pollen, but don't currently have anything to put on her except a self..which I've done before with no success, so I don't think I'll bother again. All pollens that I do have I'm not 100% sure they are "safe" and I won't take any chances with this beautiful bulb..

I have a question for anyone who wishes to answer...

My Giraffe mother bulb has gone dormant, but she has many babies all around her with the leaves still green and growing. I'm afraid to stop watering completely so should I carefully water around the edges of the pot so the babies will receive some water and hopefully, the mother won't rot? There are about 6 or so babies and I can't wait to have a whole pot full of Giraffes...!Thanks,

Donna

Here is a picture of her last year before I repotted her..not all of these bulblets grew on..about half of them...

{{gwi:437553}}

• haweha
    12 years ago

Keep your Cluster at the window for a while, until the residual transpiration via the green leaves of the sucklings has reduced the humidity of the substrate. Then cut all leaves down.If some of the leaves insist on further growing, cut down repeatedly.You will be successfullypreventing further growth rather fast, believe me. Leaves during dry storage are detrimental, they extract humidity from the respective bulbs and bulblets. On the other hand, water during storage promotes the premature formation of spindly, pale, weak new leaves; don't do it, out of an un-due compassion.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I will refrain from further watering..Giraffe is currently under lights in the basement with many others that still have most of their leaves..would that suffice for a windowsill, I can do either..

Thanks,
    Donna

• haweha
    12 years ago

Mature bulbs of Hippeastrums under electric lights...you might already guess; it is not truly rewarding.Except for forcing if light conditions are poor. Or, when it is inevitable for obligately winter-green Hippeastrums, For example the commercial version of H.papilio (Veronica claims that the species H.papilio is not generally winter-green).

Of "Giraffe" you might vaguely remember, that I had had a beautiful cluster of it. Then, I neglected it together with the vast majority of my TETs,for reasons that should not be discussed here, and I revived 4 surviving bulbs after storage from 2009 to May 2011 in a cool room under the entrance of my new home. With some luck, the strongest bulb should produce a scape for me!

Original Author
    12 years ago

I certainly DO remember your photo of your huge pot of Giraffes!! Your picture is exactly what I had in mind when I lifted my bulb and saw all the offsets!! I do hope the majority of your clump will bloom again for you..:-))

Is there anyway we could get Garden Web to supply us with smileys (like all the other forums)!!

• haweha
    12 years ago

Here comeZ...

{{gwi:437555}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm.. I don't use Photobucket...and when I try to copy and paste, I don't get the paste option..that's me, the green guy scratch his head...

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

haweha, in your picture above, the striped Amaryllis is an Exotic Star. What is the one that is to the upper right of the Exotic Star--the red one with the pink vein on each leaf? These two go well together.

• haweha
    12 years ago

Sorry for posting the wrong picture (it should rather have been a further Emoticon). The picture shows some siblings out of crossbreeding:
    "Pink Floyd" x "Giraffe"
    For documentation please click the link as provided below:

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Pink Floyd' x 'Giraffe'

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Hans,

While reading that thread I noticed many things about the seedlings, they had very short filaments, I already wondered if H. evansiae was involved in 'Giraffe' and that proved my suspicion. H. evansiae has very short filaments.

I noted that you towards the end admitted you thought the same about 'Giraffe' and I think you can rest assured that it is that.