Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinum ID?

Posted by amccour (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 21:43

Not a Hippeastrum, but it's sort of in that ballpark ;)

It looks sort of like an asiaticum, only the foliage is a lot shorter, it doesn't really have the thick pseudostem, and I'm not sure if it's visible, but the bulb is a lot broader than the stem it has now and I haven't really seen a lot of C. asiaticums with that, although maybe mine is just potted to shallowly.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinum ID?

I'm not sure you will get a proper ID with pictures of it flowering.

How large is it?

o

Pseudo-stem is about six inches tall, maybe two inches in diameter. Leaves are maybe about a foot long each. Bulb's like five or six inches in diameter.

o

with it being so young it's hard to tell, my asiactums actually look like that due to freezing back last year, I should clarify and say the babies around the mom look like that.
Tally ho!

o

I would say that without a flower, it would be very difficult to offer any kind of concrete name suggestions. How long before we can see a bloom?

o

I have crinum which I've never seen blooming,since 1979,when I first moved here. I have some which bloom every year,without fail.The ones I have which were identified as asiaticum do not have bulbs,but have swollen stems with root callus.C Amabile, which is said to be the result of a cross between Asiaticum and zeylanicum,is also a swollen stem type.
Del

o

amccour,
I'm no expert on Crinum, but I suppose that it C. americanum or C. erubescens.
My Crinum americanum has bulb and leaves him similar.

o

You might check out C. jagus 'Rattrayi'.

R.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here