Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lowe's trip

Posted by tiarella 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 22:03

I went to buy plastic liners for my plant stand and of course I had to look at amaryllis. Prior to Loew's I was at Target and purchased 3 hippies (2 for me, 1 for a gift). Smith and Hawkin bulbs and $7 each 2 Red Lion and 1 Apple Blossom. I was surprised because Lowe's had some hippies I had not noticed before and I was going to get some when I remembered that any unsold items go on sale sometime before Christmas and some of them had leaves or buds sticking out so I decided to wait a bit. Besides I forgot to get some potting soil and I will have to go back again to also buy a gift for my husband in the tool dept.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lowe's trip

tiarella and others, it would be sooo much better if youall included your location next to your zone. in cases like this, lowes stores vary from store to store so i have no idea if your experience is relevant for me!!

o

Several people have posted that when they asked the clerks or the customer service reps about discounts for bulbs that were/had already bloomed they were getting great discounts, $1.50-$3.00 for the bulbs. Spring, Texas I know and several other states, perhaps Arkansas?

I'd ask for a discount! I plan on stopping in Friday for some things & will see if I have any luck getting cheap bulbs.
Tally HO!

o

I was visiting my parents in Murrels Inlet, SC - they had a bunch of amaryllis in boxes that the scapes were already busting out of the boxes (many were already blooming). They were marked at $5.98 and their other bulbs (daffs,crocus, etc) were marked 75% off - I asked the lady in the garden ctr and she said that I could have them for .50 cents each!! I got ten!

o

To clarify - upstate SC. I just took another trip to a local nursery and got Blossom Peacock, Elvas, Gold Medal (in full bloom with second stalk to blossom). Yes a Hadeco bulb I didn't realize when I was there previously that they had them. I won't make that mistake next year! Then I went to Lowe's and picked up Minerva and Star of Holland. At Home Depot scored a Desire. Help, I need a doctor!

o

Lowes in Texas City and Dickinson sold me the already bloomed marked down to $4.98 box bulbs for $2.49. I got 6 of the not Susan/Lady Janes, 2 ?Apple Blossom, 1 Star of Holland, 1 White-Christmas something. 1/2 off the $9.98 that had bloomed but I passed. Will wait & see if they will go down to 75% off.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here