Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxgardeneruga

Overwintering outdoor-grown amaryllis

foxgardeneruga
11 years ago

I am currently growing several dozen of what I believe to be Johnson's amaryllis outdoors in a couple different locations. I have some planted in the ground in a newly installed garden I put in this past spring. I have some others that I used as foliage accent plants over the summer after the blooms faded in half whiskey barrel planters.
I am confident that the ones in the ground will survive the winter since the ground does not freeze deeper than the top inch or two here. The foliage was killed back by the first frost of the season this week though. The ones in the half whiskey barrel were also killed back. I was afraid that those bulbs might be freeze killed over the winter though. So I dug them up, cleaned them off, cut the roots back a bit, and put them in an open air plastic plant pot in the garage where it will be dark, cool, and dry over the winter.
Was this the correct course of action?
I have no intention of forcing these to bloom indoors. I want to plant them back outdoors in containers in the spring and I would like them to bloom then.
So what have I done, and what should I do?

Sponsored
More Discussions