Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danab_2109

Should I water this amaryllis?

DanaB_2109
12 years ago

Hi, everyone! Several years ago, I had a ton of amaryllis bulbs but sadly lost them all when I moved. After that, I got away from my obsession for a few years, but this year I decided I wanted my addiction back and bought a few bulbs that are currently in various states in my kitchen.

Anyway, that leads me to my question: As I was planting my new bulbs, I remembered that I did have one plant last year, but it never grew a flower scape (stalk?). It did, however, have leaves. After a few months, thinking that the plant wasn't going to bloom, I put it in my basement and promptly forgot about it. Tonight, I went downstairs to look for it and found that the bulb is smallish but firm, not rotted as I had thought it would be. Should I bring the plant back upstairs and start watering it again? Is there a possibility that this could be a viable bulb?

Thanks for your help.

Dana

Comments (9)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Dana, if it's been downstairs for a couple of months and has rested, I'd bring it up and pamper it...with some good water, warmth, and light. Since this is the time of year we would force bulbs for holiday blooms...why not try it. It might not bloom for you, but then...you've actually done what you should have so it just might. I only say it might not because of it's size! I'd pamper the heck out of it and get it good and plump for next year if it doesn't put out a scape this year. And...don't be disappointed, it might just be waiting for it's own bloom cycle in May!
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Dana,
    I too would bring it upstairs and just water it thoroughly "just once" being careful not to get any water down the neck of the bulb. A warm sunny window and/or lots of light with the watering should stimulate new growth..when you are sure the bulbs is thoroughly dried out again and you see signs of leaves growing (or if you're lucky, a bud) then you can continue to water it very sparingly until it is flush with leaves. Good Luck and hope your bulb flowers for you soon.

If your bulb is bone dry, you might try setting it in a bowl of water for a day or so, (assuming you have enough drainage holes in the bottom of the pot) sometimes when you water a totally dried out pot, the water tends to run down the side of the inside of the pot and the center of the root ball doesn't get wet.

Donna

• DanaB_2109
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both! I'm looking forward to seeing what this plant will do.

• DanaB_2109
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was getting my plant ready to go back upstairs and noticed that it has two bulblets! I've never had a plant with bulblets. Do I leave them there or detach them? Thanks for your help.

Dana

• allstarsgymnast7
    12 years ago

From what the more experienced growers have said, it depends on your preference. By my clumsiness, I recently knocked over a pot containing my Apple Blossom, Nefertari (yes, they have names, haha). She had 2 or 3 offsets, and I just let them be. As I was putting them back into their pot, I noticed that the 2 / 3 bulblets detached themselves (now I've got to name them too!). I panicked at first, thinking I killed them with my klutziness. I realized they all had their own basal plate, with their own developed root system. So, I would say if you wish to separate them, make sure they have developed root systems and a basal plate first.

I'm sure some of the more experienced growers could chime in on this and throw in their 2 cents.

Here's some additional info from the FAQ:

What is growing on the side of my bulb & what do I do with it:
    Sedum37 says:
    Amaryllis have little offshoots starting near the mother bulb called bulblets. Just let them grow with the mother plant. What I do is put the pots outside all summer, fertilize them with liquid fertilizer then in the fall bring them into the basement to rest in their pots for few months. Then restart them in January.

Bubba62 says:
    If bulblets form, you'll see smaller sets of leaves rising alongside the mother bulb as it grows over the summer. I wouldn't be in a hurry to detach them - they'll grow faster connected to the main bulb.

Good luck!
    -Kate

P.S. For those of you who think I'm weird not knowing if I have 2 or 3 offsets... 1 of them was fully by itself. The other 1? or 2? are fused together like Siamese twins! They share a basal plate at the moment, so I guess I'll see what happens, haha.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Some growers prefer to remove offsets and give them their own pots... some growers prefer to leave them with the mother bulb. Either preference works.

I would suggest that if you do remove them, make certain each offset, or bulblet, has its own fully developed basal plate and at least the start of its own root system before taking it away from the mother bulb. If it's ready to be on its own, it will easily detach from the mother bulb, and have its own basal plate and little roots.

• DanaB_2109
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Your advice helps a lot. I think I'll leave the offsets in place for now. I'll let you know what happens.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I just leave them alone until such time as they crowd the mother plant in the pot or they reach a substantial size. At golf ball size and they will be ready to be on their own, large grape size or smaller I would leave them with the mother..In the past when I would remove my bulbs from the pots to let them dry, I would always seem to knock off a bulblet or two and even if they had their own basal plate and a few roots, they most always died or languished a slow death..of course if you do knock them off they have to be potted up immediately, but I'd wait to see how your mother bulb does before I pulled it out of the soil to remove the bulblets..just my opinion though...

Donna

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I agree with Donna, and I do the same. As long as there's room in the pot, I leave them alone.

In fact, several years ago I had a very large Minerva mother bulb that developed a daughter bulb... I left the two together until I was forced to separate them, mainly because they had grown so large that they had cracked the clay pot they were in!

Sadly, I have since lost the mother bulb to NBF, but I'm very hopeful that her daughter will survive. She is, so far, still firm in her pot. I've got my fingers crossed that NBF has not found a way to get to her, and I've used a preventative systemic. I just hope I didn't get to her too late.

But, all that aside, I don't think there's any harm in allowing bulblets to grow alongside the parent bulbs.

Sponsored
More Discussions