Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rythen_

Acquiring Hippeastrum Species

Rythen.
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am interested in collecting and breeding species Hippeastrums to develop new hybrids unlike anything that has ever been seen. I know this is a grand project that will take many years, but I am young and have time to learn :)

One trait I'm particularly interested in introducing to my new hybrids is fragrance. There was a program done at UF in the late 1980s with similar aims to what I am planning. Link is at the end of this post, or you can google the terms 'Hippeastrum Meerow' (no quotes). The authors of this paper cite a few species as being particularly fragrant, most notably H. brasilianum. I cannot find this species or its seeds available anywhere!

Currently I have 11 named hybrids in my collection (not my own), and 12 species. I've obtained most of what's available from Telos, and picked up a few others on eBay that weren't ridiculously expensive. I don't know where else to search! Is there anywhere else you all have obtained species bulbs or seeds from? I'd also be interested in trading, but I probably don't have much to trade back because I'm still relatively new to growing Hippeastrums. I have an extensive collection of seeds of other plants though (probably nearly 100 different species), but many are old and may not grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meerow Program

Comments (4)

• bluebonsai101
    9 years ago

Well, as you point out, one person you can try to contact is Dr. Meerow himself. I received a plant from him in the past (not a Hippi by the way) so it is possible at least. Get involved with the International Bulb Society and the Pacific Bulb Society if you are not already. Some really good growers there. You can get some common species (seed) from Mauro in Brasil as most of us already have, of course. As you likely know by now, most of these sorts of things are traded amongst growers rather than being sold. It is the basic principle of money is not the problem, finding the rare new bulb is so I find people would rather trade most of the time. I know most of these are obvious suggestions, but thought I'd toss them out anyway. There are a bunch of people on here that love to hybridize so I'm sure they can give you better advice! Good luck in your quest :o) Dan

• Themmie Swnrs
    9 years ago

Hello there... I also am interested in collecting and breeding Hippeastrums. I have just started so still have a small collection. I got some of them from Telos, Komoriya, Ebay, BrazilPlants and from local nursery. I am living in Thailand now so let me know if you would like to have any species which are available in Thailand (well, most of local species are available on ebay though.)

One of my target is to have 100 bulbs of Hippeastrum reticulatum in my collection and I am very close to that target ^__^

• Rythen.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I managed to get H. Aulicum on eBay the other day, and I've emailed Mauro with fingers crossed!

Themmie, what species are available to you in Thailand?

I've also seen that some species such as H. mandonii, H iguanizam, and others sell for over $150 a bulb on eBay for just seedlings! I'd love to have these in my collection but I just can't afford to pay that much (or trust my growing abilities enough with something so young and fragile).

-Rythen

• marhelm
    9 years ago

Hi!I bought an expensive lamp H iguanizam on the ebay. The lamp had 2 kids . Now kids have their roots .I have people who want to exchange for H. mandonii,H.bukasovii I got 3 different lamp for one price

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm