Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

A Happy Ending :)

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

So this morning I woke up, walked down stairs to let the dogs go potty, well I decided to glance out the front door prior as we were to get tons of snow.... and OH MY GOSH, there was a BOX!!!!!!!!!! I frustratingly remember the Hippies I had previously ordered and I flipped, they had been sitting out all night and most of the previous day! I live in Indiana, the lows have been barely in the double digits, wind chill even less. I hurried the box in and pull out the contents, all my bulbs, frozen and not just frozen BUT ROCK SOLID! I seriously said some prayers as I layed them down in a row hoping they'd survive!

So........ tonight I checked them and wow, they're perfectly fine, I peeled back a layer or two and everything seems normal, no mushy spots, nothing! They're as hard as new bulbs always are?!?

Now how in the world did these sit out for at least 16 hours in 12 degree weather and a few inches of snow with no harm?

I hope no one is offended by this :(

Josh

Comments (8)

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Congrats, Josh. I'm happy for you.

But... may I ask, why didn't you get the box when it was delivered? Were you away from home?

Xuan

• organicstarbuck
    13 years ago

Praying for your happy ending to be complete with beautiful flowers!

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I hope you successfully saved these but must warn you that I found damage showing up 2 weeks later on mine. I would suggest keeping them as warm and dry as possible, and rather then planting them as usual barely bury the bottom growth plate until seceral weeks have passed and your are sure. The two results of freezing that seemed most common on mine were (1)leaves turning yellow and with closer examination finding freeze damage right at their base so that nutrition was cut off from the leaf and (2) freezing between the layers at the neck that let rot spread downward to the core of the bulb. {{gwi:438755}}, {{gwi:438758}},{{gwi:438760}}. I wish you the very best and my heart breaks for the feeling you had when you discovered the bulbs! None of us should have to go through this!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Josh,
    I hope your bulbs are truly all right, I'm thinking the damage may show up later...hope not... how many were there anyway...were they hopefully buried under the snow and therefore insulated from the winds..? And, why in heaven's name would anyone be offended by your post....?? Best of luck with this situation and keep us posted.

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the deal, UPS must have put them on the porch and forgot to knock.... This is why I don't like to deal with them, if they did knock my dogs wouldn't go without telling me! USPS always makes sure to hand me the packages and I always make sure to come home at the time the mail runs to get my plants!

There were four in the box wrapped in several layers of paper, "Green Goddess" and "Jewel", two of each! I've been paying a lot of attention to them, they're kept dry and warm as well! I wonder if them being in cold storage prior helped "harden" them off? I noticed that my other "Jewel" I have is very vigorus growing 12 leaves and two scapes in a matter of 2 weeks!

Only time will tell but so far everything is kosher, even the roots are still nice and firm, hopefully it all works out :)

BTW, I didn't want to offend Noni, she just went through this on a much larger scale and I didn't want her to think I was rubbing anything in :(

Josh

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Hey guys, after just going through 2 nights of freeze, couple of the Florida forum experts recommend the 10-day-rule after freeze. Supposedly it takes 10 days for freeze damage to fully saturate plants etc. You can Water, move, but Do not cut or trim plants until after 10 days following last freeze...just thought I'd share.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Josh, that does not offend me at all. I just don't want you to get too excited too soon. As Cindi says, and as I was trying to warn you, it is really too early to tell yet. I hope you really did luck out.

Besides, the only one I would really be offended at is my husband who was having a major ADD snit and ran off to his nice warm office leaving us without electricity. I did have serious thoughts of divorce, but thought better of it after 42 years. I think he has repented :-) And I don't think he will ever do that again...the queen was NOT pleased!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Honestly, I have decided to let I check them daily to make sure they're alright, I figured they'd thaw and be mush.

Oh no, he left you? Well we all make mistakes ;)

42 years, that in all sounds absolutely amazing, it's so wonderful to hear, refreshing really ;) I can't complain about divorce as everyone's situations are different but I commend you!

Sponsored
More Discussions