Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berkeleysgr8

Easy to Grow sale?

berkeleysgr8
11 years ago

Last year Easy to Grow Bulbs had their amaryllis bulbs for sale for $8 each for New Years. I'm crossing my fingers that they will have the sale again this year. I am desperate for some papilio bulbs and a couple of cybisters they have that I don't yet have in my collection. *cross fingers* I'm hoping to ring 2013 in with MORE BULBS!

My boyfriend made some mounts for papilios, so I can attempt to follow in houstonpat's footsteps! I just need the bulbs and then I can get started. -Tina

Comments (17)

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

I had to do a search for this mysterious Papilio mounts? And found the thread. That is so cool! I couldn't do it here. The birds would pick the moss out. I remember getting a hanging tomato kit that had a wire container where you line it with moss. The birds had a field day just picking moss out of it until all that was left was the plastic bag that held the dirt in.

Good luck! :)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Tina,
    I would think that in order to mount a papilio houstonpat style that you might have to start with an established bulb, (one with roots) I wouldn't think that a new rootless bulb would work. But since I've never done it nor have any plans to do so, it's just a thought on my part..Good Luck.

If you do order from EasytoGrowBulbs and they have any LaPazs left, they are really Tango! I was so pleased with my Tango,(see pictures somewhere in the near past) a lovely pink cybister..I'll try for La Paz another year. Some mislabels can be great, this was....

Donna

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

It's done basically like mounting Orchids. I never thought to try this with Amaryllis. Now I must!

• berkeleysgr8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the warning about LaPaz. I bought Tango from another vendor (assuming that is really what I got... it hasn't bloomed yet). I love cybisters!

Donna, thanks for the advice. I do have a potted papilio that probably has mile-long roots. It's a bit smaller than when I bought it though... it's not happy in its current medium. I was planning on mounting that one and a new bulb.

Here's hoping they start their sale on Jan 1, like they did last year!

• berkeleysgr8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh sadness! No sale on the site today. I'll keep checking back though.

Happy New Year everyone!

Tina

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

While ETGB doesn't have a sale, plenty of other places do. Be sure and pass on TyTy, although their site is always good for a laugh!! No sale there for sure!!

Some I found that are still apparently shipping were:
    Holland Bulb Farms
    Eden Blooms
    American Meadows
    Amaryllis Bulb Company
    White Flower Farm

Be sure and ask them to pack for cold weather or hold off til March.
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ETGB is still selling and shipping hippies (at decent prices), they're just not discounted yet. I expect that they will put them on sale soon. Thank you kaboehm.

I recently purchased bulbs from Eden's Blooms. Most of the bulbs looked good, others were kind of mangled or had red blotch. It was a hit & miss group this year. I really WANT to support them, but I wish they'd do better quality control.

Tina

• seaj
    11 years ago

Last year ETGB was selling amaryllis bulbs for spring planting. It's possible that they were all the leftover bulbs, but who knows. Maybe instead of a winter sale they will sell the leftover bulbs this spring? I don't recall the exact pricing, but they were offering packages of assorted bulbs for nice prices. Not the full catalog of Amaryllis, but I like the idea of Amaryllis for spring planting. If they do it again this spring I will probably place an order.

• cara_567
    10 years ago

This year it looks like the ETGB site is abandoned. Homepage talks on 1/23 about enjoying the holidays. No sign of an amaryllis sale. Something's changed with this company.

As for buying amaryllis in the spring, well, these bulbs will have been out of the ground since the prior August. Proceed with caution. . .

10 years ago

I find everything the same at their site, maybe they just aren't shipping due to the frigid temps in half of the country. Maybe it's a bit early for their sale and they will resume shipping in March..just a guess.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: ETGB

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Brent and Becky's bulbs have all of theirs on sale, and have quite a good selection remaining.

Here is a link that might be useful: B and B bulbs

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous to buy anything with all these vortexes and blasts going on...

Out of curiosity, on the B&B site, what is the real appearance of Estrella? It's a striking pink color on their website but I don't see any pictures that look anything like it when I search for Estrella in general.

10 years ago

Do you mean Estrella or Estella..they're two different bulbs. Estella is the pink one I believe you are referring to.
    Estrella is an orange and white fragrant trumpet shaped flower that I haven't seen for sale for years. In the past I twice bought what was labeled Estella and ended up with something else.

Donna

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

B&B has it listed as Estrella. Looking up Estella brings up a lot of pictures that look like it but I think B&B's version of the plant looks like the color was tinkered with to make it more bold than it is.

10 years ago

B&B has the wrong name. This is Estrella: I'm pretty sure...

The one B&B has is Estella and the color is stronger than reality but so are most of their other bulb's photos also.
    Actually, I don't recall anyone ever posting a picture of Estella, you could be the first!

• blancawing
    10 years ago

I am usually very fortunate with the bulbs I grow. However, I purchased three 'Estella' bulbs from ETGB in 2009 and three more from VE in 2012. None of them have ever bloomed. That is an unprecedented failure for me.

It looks like my two 'Emerald Dawn' bulbs may not bloom this year either, but they were only planted in early November of 2013.

Optimistically,

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 23:49

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

BTW, according to the Hadeco, 'Green Dragon' is being discontinued. This may be the last year to purchase one. B & B has them now for $3.55.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Dragon Information

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists