Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azngrnthumbs

Hippeastrum papilio photos

azngrnthumbs
18 years ago

One of our pups bloomed just a few weeks ago here at the University of Washington Botany Greenhouse.

I donated the original bulb to them during my freshman or sophmore year and it has done outstandingly well!

I love this species and I hope you all do as well!! Enjoy!

{{gwi:439112}}

{{gwi:439114}}

Cheers,

Riz

Comments (32)

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Lovely
    I must get one soon.
    ARIF

• kniphofia
    18 years ago

Just gorgeous!

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

Wow, that really is stunning!

I notice that the bulb is almost completely out of the soil. I'm new to hippeastrum and thought the bulb should be at least 1/2 in the potting mix?

• Creeping_Fig
    18 years ago

Great pictures. The plant looks really healthy.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember where you originally purchased your papilio from?

CF

• lora_in
    18 years ago

That is lovely! I got one this year and I'm praying its true to name. Thanks for the picture! Lora

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

That's really something, the color and pattern and shape are all perfect. It's amazing something like that just blooms away on it's own in the jungle and has been doing that for hundreds of years before someone found it and took it home!

• haweha
    18 years ago

{{gwi:3501}}

I estimate H.papilio to be the best of all Hippeastrum species.
    Not only a priori but in the sense that it is a rewarding target for hybridization projects.
    Until now I have obtained encouraging results when I used it for breeding, and actually I like to judge my
    PapDonAmb #4 to be the best result of my first cross breeding experiments - with its saturated blood red color and strange shape:
    {{gwi:3405}}

• Wildcat_IN_Z5
    18 years ago

Haweha,

Wow!

That PapDonAmb #4 of yours is incredible!!!

Wildcat

• azngrnthumbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great hybrid there! It has really inherited the shape of H. papilio.

The papilio from the UW Greenhouse is planted so just the basal plate sits on top of the soil medium. I've always been told to pot up this species in this way to help discourage rot. With the basal plate near the surface, it can dry out quicker after watering.

The original bulb was purchased through Brent and Becky's Bulbs or Wayside Gardens, I can't remember for sure.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos and I'd like to thank our friend from Germany for posting another lovely clone of papilio and his lovely hybrid. The breeding being done with this species has produced some amazing results!!

Cheers,

Riz

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

lovely hybrid.
    I hope the papilio I recrive this time is a true papilio.
    ARIF

• haweha
    18 years ago

I hope you have ordered more than one of this species amaryllis',
    Arif,
    they are not the most reliable bloomers in....ummmmh.... pot-prisonship pardon... confinement *ggg*

I would NOT count on flowers shortly after planting; and some bulbs need more than one season.

I am now experimenting on the significance of the pot dimension (the soil quantity) and I try to explore the potential benefit of bigger pots.

I replanted three of my 30+ bulbs, with their 1 to 3 attached-untouched offsets - into cubic 11 Liter pots....with square soucoupes notabene....for watering from below.

H.papilio is apt to produce enormous quantities of roots - rapidly! Therefore I HAVE chosen this amaryllis in order to reveal the advantages of a veritably "oversized " pot *ggg* And furthermore these roots are more stable than those of the most tetraploid Hippeastrum hybrids.

On the other hand - in the light of this observation - it seems funny but it is at it is and it is relevant:
    This Hippeastrum has a considerably MINOR water consumption as compared to these big blooming tetraploids!
    H.papilio roots are rather likely to rot - I know what I say. So take care...

Hans-Werner

PapDonAmb#1
    {{gwi:3399}}

• haweha
    18 years ago

{{gwi:389748}}href>

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Hello
    Hans-Werner
    Out of thr two only one has bloomed.Is selfing succesfull.
    I have polinated many let us see if they take.
    here is the bloom.

{{gwi:439118}}

ARIF

• plant_guy
    18 years ago

Hans, what is the parentage of your PapDonAmb#1? Also, when you say something like red lion x picotee, is the first name the pollen donor, or the pollen recipient? TIA.

Plant_Guy

BTW, outstanding flower, that one, let me know if you feel like getting rid of any :)

• haweha
    18 years ago

what is the...

Well that means that I have caught you -
    tell me the worst
    Did you really never read about my crossbreeding experiment with H.Papilio, Donau and Ambiance in the Bulb Forum Galleryhref>?!
    Now, catch up for that:
    'Papilio' x ('Donau' x 'Ambiance')href>

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    18 years ago

Oh that is great terminology
    pollen recipient
    For my part I like that - and even more uncommon expressions, and I often like to assign the seed parent or mother plant as Muttertier, too *ggg*

Now, short and clearcut sense of a long opening speech:
    By convention this mother ummm.. plant is the first which is named in a crossing formula!

• plant_guy
    18 years ago

Well, Hans, I must admit *cough* *cough* that I have not been on the bulb forum for over 2 years. I was starting a new business after the company I worked for (10 years) moved their software development division to India. See the link below, it is my company, just a little over 2 years on the Web. Anyway, your posts are very informative. I really like some of your crosses much more than commercial cultivars.

Plant_Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Day Job

• haweha
    18 years ago

Thank you, plant_guy:

I wish you all the best for your firm!
    For my part I indeed believe too, and that has a priori little to do with my yet actually existing hybrids:
    The progress in hippeastrum breeding has for decades gone into a false direction, as the accent has been put on superficial perfectness (in bloom size, coloring, firmness and symmetry) and not on interesting proportions hors du commun.

I like uncommon proportions, and I have the vision that the most spectacular proportion is what would strongly accent the already inherent feature of hippeastrum flowers: The principal zygomorphism,
    Working out and intensifying that feature would lead to a flower similar to orchids, and the core of my vision is that this is generated by broad upper left and right segments and far narrower lower segments which are furthermore directed downwards.
    Only H.papilio offers the great opportunity to realize that and therefore I am focusing my efforts increasingly on this extraorinary species Amaryllis and my (just primary) progeny thereof.

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Hello
    Here today gone day after tomorrow.That is my PAPILIO.
    No other Hippeastrum of mine has such a short life of flower.
    Is it the nature of Papilo or our 37 C temperature.
    The flower is INTERESTING,has a WILED look, apprecciated by a few.
    I am sure cross breeding will produce interesting results.

{{gwi:410320}}

The secound day.Dont ask about the stamens.
    ARIF

• haweha
    18 years ago

That is correct; H.papilio flowers are very transient

I hope that you pollinate(d) all flowers in due time.
    In this direction you will be far more likely to be successfull than using pollen of it on your mongrals !

Huns-Vairnair

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Hi
    Hans-Werner
    There were only two flowers. Both pods are looking healthy and so are some of the pollen recipients.
    I hope I am lucky.
    ARIF

• deepak
    18 years ago

Excellent photo. Brig. Arif by any chance did you obtain your bulbs from Royal Colors in Holland ? I wish I could visit you to see your collection in bloom.

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Hello Deepak
    Yes this PAPILIO is from ROYAL COLORS.The majority of my collection are my own production I call them my mongrels.
    I do have some known varietes too.
    You are welcome to visit in last week of MARCH or first week of APRIL when they are in bloom.
    ARIF

• haweha
    18 years ago

Hi Arif:

I read elsewhere that generally H.papilio does efficiently produce seeds after self pollination.
    However, the evergreen clone sold in Europe does NOT.
    I was not very amused to find that out.
    I hope that your H. papilio is derived from one other clone which is self fertile.
    Please examine that on the next flowers or on the first flowers of your 2nd bulb.
    However... after repeated view on your H.papilio photo I am not so very optimistic - I presume that it IS from that "European clone" but... do not care for what I told you now *ggg* and try selfing at least ONCE. But, IF seeds develop, then inspect them carefully while they are still fresh - in order to discriminate if they are viable or only "chaff"...

Hans-Werner

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Hello
    Hans-Werner
    My 2nd bulb has no intention of blooming if it does I will self it .
    The PAPILIO pollen was rejected out-right by most.Some which seemed to have accepted it, have produced small pods.I will let you know the rsult on maturity.
    I pollinated the PAPILIO with a white, the pods are growing fast, as you can see.

{{gwi:439121}}
    ARIF

• haweha
    18 years ago

Oh thank you Arif -
    I am looking at this picture with one smiling and one weeping eye (ooops that is the German terminology) - you certainly understand that I want to express my mixed emotions in view of well-developing H.papilio seed pods - after the flowers have been fertilized with pollen from tetraploids - and finally the so-well-stuffed seed pods reveal chaff, only chaff; more then 100 big & worthless seeds per pod.
    So you are pre-warned.
    But, IF you WILL be finally fortunate despite my experience-based pessimistic preview - WELL then you should praise the karma and send me some of these seeds in order to corriger MA fortune...

BEST wishes
    Hans-Werner

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Hello
    Hans-Werner
    I have not yet seen a pod grow to full size stuffed with chaff only.
    My PAP pods are still smiling. An other few days and I would know.
    ARIF

• JaapM
    17 years ago

Hello all,

.. and of course I did try it again.
    As this year my papillio was the first to bloom, I only could get Hipp. Pamela as a cut-flower from the florist.
    One flower I selved, and the 3 others ( oh yes, two stems ) I pollinated with Pamela. They became nice pods:
    But alas only chaff.

Jaap

• brigarif Khan
    17 years ago

Hello All
    Hans- Werner
    GURU JI my weeping eye has taken over the smiling eye. The pods did not grow any further.The pods produced mostly chaf. There are some distorted seeds which feel as if there is an embryo. Tomorrow I will float them and see if any germinate
    ARIF

• haweha
    17 years ago

Although I could to a certain degree predict the unfortunate outcome of these crossbreeding experiments I am so sorrowfull with you.

As far as I can see is crossbreeding H.papilio with these "old" hard-core-bargain big blooming hybrids simply impossible.
    It was for example my major amaryllogene wish dream to perform the cross between H.papilio and Appleblossom. I have given that up now.
    H.papilio x LemonLime will work
    The results displayed in this great website from Taiwan was veritably convincing;
    WUFhref>
    BUT: Using inferior green amaryllis like Yellow Pioneer and Yellow Goddess will work to, but yield far inferior results.

And I would try to supply pollen from DONAU (Danube) when H.papilio is close to bloom.
    However, I do not have the slightest intuition what makes these both mentioned 4ploid knight star lilies so particular that their pollen is working effectively on H.papilio.

However, IF you receive a mountain of chaff - DO NOT discard it before you dids not investigate seed-for-seed, thoroughly, for any may-be-viable embryo...

Hans-Werner

• brigarif Khan
    17 years ago

Hello
    Hans-Werner
    Any seed that had a hint of an embryo is floating in the bowl. Another two weeks and I would get the answer and report.
    ARIF

• brigarif Khan
    17 years ago

Hi
    REPORTING A COMPLETE FAILURE
    ARIF

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21
More Discussions