Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's happen to the flower?

Posted by BigBulbs none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 0:56

Hi, another question.
Last year the flowers were ok but this year I don't know why the flowers like this picture?

This post was edited by BigBulbs on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 1:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's happen to the flower?

pic of last year flower

o

mosaic virus? or something environmental

o

Mostly likely the virus caused this.
K

o

VIRUS

o

Yup, I know you guys would all think virus and if I hadn't had this experience with my Pink Diamond I would wholeheartedly agree.

I've had my Pink Diamond since 2009, Always bloomed perfectly up until March 2012 when it put out a flower like this:

so when I posted this picture everybody said VIRUS and I agreed. But I couldn't quite part with this bulb until I saw the signs on the leaves. So she went over in the corner of the yard all by her lonesome and grew just fine during the summer, the leaves remained pristine even in the hot sun:

then she bloomed again on Feb 2013 and this time the flowers were just fine still with perfect leaves:

now I know some people will say those little white lines on the bottom of the flower are an indicator of virus but....

and again this Nov she bloomed with 4 stalks (only two have bloomed so far) (two bulbs) and the flowers were perfect (so far). The leaves are all gone. I still keep this plant away from my others and will continue to do so just in case but I can't get rid of her until I see the leaves show some signs of virus.

so what is the moral of this saga you say?? Just wait until the leaves grow out, keep it away from your other plants if it is something you cherish and, if not, then you can chuck it but I'd wait for the leaves....Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 9:36

o

I would keep it and forget.

o

Life's too short to fuss on amaryllis. I grow and make them bloom to enrich my life. I get depressed when I have a sick or weak bulb that needs to be given extra care. So I just burn them and go on with my life.

We and our gardens are what they are because of our choices.

Edited that last sentence as I don't mean to be judgemental or accusive. Life is good!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 11:32

o

Given the appearance of the leaves, on BigBulb's post, it seems the cause would most likely be the V.

o

Thanks for all the helps! This is my friends's Charm Amaryllis bulb from Japan. The leaves are still OK now. There is no sign of virus yet.

I will quarantine this bulb and wait to see the leaves.

The yesterday post with the infected leaves are from another bulbs and another vender.

Many Thanks :)
Big

This post was edited by BigBulbs on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 13:30

o

It seems that even virused bulbs don't show the pattern on the leaf when the weather is cooler or they aren't stressed. It is best to keep this separate until you are sure.
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here