Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlon2009

Walmart Amaryllis.4 flower scapes?

marlon2009
9 years ago

Is this something i should be worried about? Its been a while since i have had any amaryllis. This is a red lion from walmart that i got for 5$. Will my amaryllis still flower next year? I know that this bulb has put a lot of energy into producing these flowerbuds.

Comments (10)

• marlon2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd angle

• Carl
    9 years ago

Hi Marlon,
    I wouldn't worry too much. Some shrinking is normal since these plants are grown under very favorable conditions so that they'll flower for you immediately. But at home you probably can't keep up with the manufacturer's care. They are grown very fast to be profitable, which results in fat, plump bulbs. Once these plants have settled with your less intensive care, they will form new layers of the bulbs, that may not me as fat, but more resilient.

Yours is the extraordinary. 4 scrapes will power out the poor bulb, but you can't do anything against it other than giving it the best care possible. Set it on your brightest window and water regularly. Don't let the soil dry out completely but don't let it sit in the wet for too long. Give it a little of a well rounded fertilizer with every watering and enjoy the blooms! :D

• marlon2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably a mislabel? I did some research to find out what it could be. I think it's Amigo.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

I'd agree with H. Amigo...that pale stripe is a giveaway!
    Looks good!
    K

• palmfan
    9 years ago

Lovely plant! Be sure you don't keep your blinds closed as in the picture. Your 'Amigo' will be a happy amigo with sun to help restore its bulb. With good care your amaryllis may actually have a larger bulb by next fall, especially if summered outdoors in a sheltered spot from late spring to late fall. Expect next year's blooms to arrive in mid or late spring, unless you decide to force it again. I'm inclined to suggest that you don't force it again unless you've been successful in forcing, and that your bulb has put on a lot of girth.
    I had great success with Olaf, a beautiful large red. I planted it out in a sheltered location in my zone 7b/8a garden where it grew at least 20-22 leaves. If it returns in the spring, I'd expect five or six scapes. Does anyone know how many scapes a well grown amaryllis bulb can produce? My amaryllis usually survive winters in my Cape May County, NJ garden. I do usually plant my bulbs with two or three inches of soil over the neck of the bulb.

• palmfan
    9 years ago

I am curious. How many scapes can an amaryllis produce from a single, well grown bulb?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I've never seen more than 4 but I personally really only prefer 2 or 3 scapes as the bulbs with more than 2 or 3 scapes will be so emaciated after blooming it might take a 2 years to recover! I never knowingly order these oversized bulbs but that's just my preference. Nothing you can do about it so enjoy your lovely blooms and just make sure to treat the bulb well when the leaves finally arrive!

Donna

9 years ago

I've had 4, but sadly it really drains a bulb to put that much into blooms.
    5 from a single bulb during the spring blooming season would be a rarity for sure.

Veronica Read says occasionally 4 scapes develop, and under ideal conditions 1-2 additional scapes may appear in late summer or early autumn. Page 163.
    K

• palmfan
    9 years ago

Which varieties tend to re bloom late in the season! My Scarlet Baby amaryllis often rebloom for me. They are wonderful in my zone 7b garden, returning faithfully year after year. This variety has attractive, glossy, disease resistant foliage.

9 years ago

I've had H. Blossom Peacock bloom later in the season and I think Donna has too.
    K

Sponsored
More Discussions