Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Lowe's Star of Holland Not

mnwsgal
13 years ago

My Star of Holland is blooming, another orange Naranja.

0 for 2 so far

Comments (6)

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Last year my Star of Holland was a lovely orange...either Orange Monarch or Soverign Orange (or Orange Soverign...can't recall). It was almost radiant!! Is yours orange with a star??
    :-)
    K

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, kaboehm, I looked at it again and it does not have the dark throat of Narangja so may be Orange Monarch or Orange Sovereign or maybe Oscar. It is difficult for me to see the differences.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I cut the scape and put it in a vase as it was growing horizontally. This was a bargain bulb with the scape already 6 inches long when I bought it.

The flower has darkened as it has aged. It has another bud but don't think it will open as it is wilty looking.

{{gwi:439202}}

• Edie
    13 years ago

'Gal, is that a regular-size, or a miniature? It's hard to tell without something else in the pic for scale. To this newbie, your flower looks too orange to be Oskar. All the "Oskar" pictures I've seen to date are what I'd call a "true red," evenly balanced between orange and violet. I have a Lowes bulb purchased as "Oskar" but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Keep in mind that cameras do not see color the same way human eyes do, and color perception varies from one person to another. "Red Lion" is an orange-red, so if the bloom looks red to you, that might be a possibility.

So far my "Lowes potluck" bulbs are 0-3, but I bought two in bloom so I knew those were mislabels at time of purchase. Seems kind of wrong to me to buy a mislabel on purpose, or buy a bulb hoping it's mislabeled, but I did both this year. :-)

Edie

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The blossom is 4" wide from a regular sized Lowe's bulb. I would say it is more orange than red. Certainly not Oscar, that was said tongue in cheek as a reference to several of Josh's bulbs being Oscar.

I am also 0-3 and like you bought bulbs hoping they would be mislabeled and I would get something interesting. I wanted a Lady Jane and have it from a mislabeled Vera. Still hoping for a couple of pinks or multicolored ones

Sponsored