Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depth of Planting in the Garden

Posted by quail USDA 9b, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 7:25

Hi, all.
If one were to plant Amaryllis/Hippeastrums in the garden, how deep would you plant them? Or, shall I say, how much of the bulb should be above the soil? Someone else was asking (another forum), and I'd like to help, but don't have experience planting these in the garden. The other thing you should know is that this person plans to only have them planted out in the garden during the summer. The bulbs will be dug up again in the fall as it is too cold in his/her zone to keep them outdoors year round. Thanks!
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depth of Planting in the Garden

Hi Michelle-Merry Christmas. In Florida, I plant my bulbs as shallow as possible. The roots will support the bulbs once establised. Be sure they are planted in very well draining to drying soil. I leave my outdoor amaryllis in ground the year around, so in the rainy season it is good to have the bulb perch upon the soil and not underneath where it may get too wet. Others probably have other techniques. I hope this is helpful.

o

Well, Michelle, Last summer I planted 8 bulbs in a whiskey barrel which would be similar to planting directly in the ground, and I planted them just as I would have planted them in a pot. They were at least half out of the soil, knowing they would be pulled in the fall, they were actually pulled sooner for a hurricane and had to be replanted in pots, but for most of the summer they did fine. Now, our southern gardeners who leave them in the ground all year would probably plant them deeper, probably entirely covered, but up North, there is no need to.

Donna

By the way Michelle, in case you missed the post about 'Splash", it is quite fragrant, we were pleasantly surprised, and my husband couldn't keep his nose out of it..!

o

• Posted by quail USDA 9b, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 19:50

Donna and Cindeea, thanks for the info. I'll pass on the tips. The person who was asking will not be leaving the bulbs in the ground year round (gets too cold in the winter). But, I'll also give him/her a reminder to be sure the soil is very well draining.
Donna, I did see the thread about Splash. Made a note on my wish list. Thanks for checking :)
Michelle

o

Michelle, it depends on where you live. I'm in zone 9 coastal. I plant them where 1/3 of the bulb is above ground, then I add a fine layer of mulch, they do really well for me. In the colder states you would have to plant much deeper. I also soak them in superthrive overnight before I plant them. Barbra

o

I'm 9b on the coast, I plant mine so the entire bulb is buried, I've tried burying them shallower but they are totally buried within a few months. I'm not sure if they pull themselves down or if they just gradually sink. Our "soil" is about 99% sand here. They stay in the ground year round, often I forget about them and then one will pop up a bloom and be a nice surprise.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here