Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonm08

Exotic Star

johnsonm08
11 years ago

It only has 2 flowers on the scape, but its pushing 3 scapes.
It could be my new favorite.
There is lots of pollen on 'Siren'.....
Mike

Comments (19)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Very pretty Mike. Your Exotic Star seems to have a different shape than my original one..your lower leaves are more "butterflied" than mine were and the color is lighter like Leena's was.

I bought another one this season so I'll see if my new one has those traits too.

Give it a try, you never know what will take...

Donna

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Congrats Mike, it looks nice and three scapes, that's great. The color indeed resembles mine.

I didn't succeed in pollinating it but it seems to be a very productive pollen parent, this with a caution though, it is still too early to tell for sure.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Very beautiful, indeed!

• lila888
    11 years ago

Mike, did you had any luck in pollinating your ES?

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, the ES didnt make any pods, but Evergreen and Emerald look like the pods with ES as the Dad are looking good.
    Mike

• lila888
    11 years ago

It's good to know that is ES is a great dad. I dabbed some pollens of Joker and it did not take, hence my bumping up this thread.

I also have 3 stalks on my ES. I crossed the flowers of the second stalk with Neon and frozen pollens of Bogota. I'll see in a few days.

Lily

(Edited to add the pic.)

This post was edited by lila888 on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 1:15

11 years ago

I did manage to get one successful seedpod on Exotic Star with Blossom Peacock of all things! I tried in vain to get Sweet Lilian to take and a few others but this Blossom Peacock pod is the only one that has taken this year so far. My bulb also had 3 scapes the 3rd about to open.

So keep trying everyone you never know when Exotic Star will take a liking to someone unusual!..Donna

• lila888
    11 years ago

Congratulations Donna! You achieved something with picky ES!

I am going to try to backcross it with Pap.
    Will keep trying with the other pollens that I have frozen from last year.

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

These are great! I was wondering who might backcross this.
    Keep us posted!

--Rick

11 years ago

Rick, Would this be considered a backcross??

Papilio was the seed parent and Exotic Star was the pollen parent...I should have put the top pictures the other way around..

I intend to put PapExStasy back on Exotic Star..I didn't put it back on papilio as I didn't want to loose the red/pink color... would either of these be considered a backcross??..Donna

{{gwi:440962}}

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 7:03

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

You're asking a rank amateur here, since I don't know the genetics offhand. That said, I think backcrossing would involve breeding ES to one of the original parent species. Anyone?

--Rr

11 years ago

Rick, I'm not sure if papilio is one of Exotic Star's parents, (I was always under the impression it was..) but if not, then it's definitely got papilio in it's background..maybe Hans-Werner or someone can tell us who the parents of Exotic Star are...??..Donna

• lila888
    11 years ago

Rick, we think the same hence the term I used. From what I know, ES's parents are papilio and neopardinum.

• lila888
    11 years ago

Rick, we think the same hence the term I used. From what I know, ES's parents are papilio and neopardinum.

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

I tried doing a search on neopardinum but only found results for pardinum. How is it I have never seen this 'panteramaryllis' before? That spotty design is so cool!

11 years ago

Looks just like Exotic Star don't you think?? Or rather the other way around..Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: H. neopardinum

• primeribs
    11 years ago

Donna, that is too funny that you would get seeds from the exotic star x blossom peacock cross! The first cross I ever made was with EX x Red Peacock.

• lila888
    11 years ago

Update on ES:

It took Pap and Bogota pollens. Failed to take Neon as seen on two yellow and shrivelled pods.

11 years ago

Lila,
    Both Bogota and papilio will do great on Exotic Star. After all that's what my PapExStasy is!! I am also going to put papilio on Bogota as it's sending up a scape currently. Both great crosses, you should have beautiful seedlings shortly.

Primeribs,
    So how did your seeds look, Exotic Star x Red Peacock. Were they good and have you had any blooms yet, I'd just love to see them! Many times I'll set a big fat papilio seedpod and the seeds are all pock marked. I can't wait to see whether my seeds are good or not...Donna

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations