Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exotic Star

Posted by johnsonm08 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 8:20

It only has 2 flowers on the scape, but its pushing 3 scapes.
It could be my new favorite.
There is lots of pollen on 'Siren'.....
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exotic Star

Very pretty Mike. Your Exotic Star seems to have a different shape than my original one..your lower leaves are more "butterflied" than mine were and the color is lighter like Leena's was.

I bought another one this season so I'll see if my new one has those traits too.

Give it a try, you never know what will take...

Donna

o

Congrats Mike, it looks nice and three scapes, that's great. The color indeed resembles mine.

I didn't succeed in pollinating it but it seems to be a very productive pollen parent, this with a caution though, it is still too early to tell for sure.

o

Very beautiful, indeed!

o

Mike, did you had any luck in pollinating your ES?

o

No, the ES didnt make any pods, but Evergreen and Emerald look like the pods with ES as the Dad are looking good.
Mike

o

It's good to know that is ES is a great dad. I dabbed some pollens of Joker and it did not take, hence my bumping up this thread.

I also have 3 stalks on my ES. I crossed the flowers of the second stalk with Neon and frozen pollens of Bogota. I'll see in a few days.

Lily

(Edited to add the pic.)

This post was edited by lila888 on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 1:15

o

I did manage to get one successful seedpod on Exotic Star with Blossom Peacock of all things! I tried in vain to get Sweet Lilian to take and a few others but this Blossom Peacock pod is the only one that has taken this year so far. My bulb also had 3 scapes the 3rd about to open.

So keep trying everyone you never know when Exotic Star will take a liking to someone unusual!..Donna

o

Congratulations Donna! You achieved something with picky ES!

I am going to try to backcross it with Pap.
Will keep trying with the other pollens that I have frozen from last year.

o

These are great! I was wondering who might backcross this.
Keep us posted!

--Rick

o

Rick, Would this be considered a backcross??

Papilio was the seed parent and Exotic Star was the pollen parent...I should have put the top pictures the other way around..

I intend to put PapExStasy back on Exotic Star..I didn't put it back on papilio as I didn't want to loose the red/pink color... would either of these be considered a backcross??..Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 7:03

o

You're asking a rank amateur here, since I don't know the genetics offhand. That said, I think backcrossing would involve breeding ES to one of the original parent species. Anyone?

--Rr

o

Rick, I'm not sure if papilio is one of Exotic Star's parents, (I was always under the impression it was..) but if not, then it's definitely got papilio in it's background..maybe Hans-Werner or someone can tell us who the parents of Exotic Star are...??..Donna

o

Rick, we think the same hence the term I used. From what I know, ES's parents are papilio and neopardinum.

o

Rick, we think the same hence the term I used. From what I know, ES's parents are papilio and neopardinum.

o

I tried doing a search on neopardinum but only found results for pardinum. How is it I have never seen this 'panteramaryllis' before? That spotty design is so cool!

o

Looks just like Exotic Star don't you think?? Or rather the other way around..Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: H. neopardinum

o

Donna, that is too funny that you would get seeds from the exotic star x blossom peacock cross! The first cross I ever made was with EX x Red Peacock.

o

Update on ES:

It took Pap and Bogota pollens. Failed to take Neon as seen on two yellow and shrivelled pods.

o

Lila,
Both Bogota and papilio will do great on Exotic Star. After all that's what my PapExStasy is!! I am also going to put papilio on Bogota as it's sending up a scape currently. Both great crosses, you should have beautiful seedlings shortly.

Primeribs,
So how did your seeds look, Exotic Star x Red Peacock. Were they good and have you had any blooms yet, I'd just love to see them! Many times I'll set a big fat papilio seedpod and the seeds are all pock marked. I can't wait to see whether my seeds are good or not...Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here