Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gervase evergreen?

Posted by hippifan 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 8:53

I've a question. Can I ceep for example hippeastrum Gervase as an evergreen? My one is in dormancy, so has no leaves at the moment, but I would like to keep him evergreen. How can you see if a bulb is evergreen? Or can you keep every bulb you like as evergreen?

Many questions, but I look forward to the answers!
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gervase evergreen?

It is my understand that you can keep just about any hippie bulb as an evergreen. I have several that always hold on the 2/3 leaves every winter but, Gervase isn't one of them. But, I don't see why you can't try..I'm sure others will have thoughts also...

Donna

o

Hippifan,

My 'Gervase' will not seem to go dormant, it's a huge bulb that keeps shooting leaves constantly! Just continue to water it through the winter, you need to use less water than summer tho.

It may have its leaves but it will usually halt growing during the cold months, this is called "semi-dormant".

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 18:13

"Gervase" is the biggest bulb from my first consignment ever - from RC. I am still amazed, it has a circumference of 36 cm.It is fair to assume that "Gervase" is as much of an evergreen, as are the other TETs with big flowers. The better the care is, the longer the leaves will live. Sufficient light is important.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here