Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz62_gw

Amaryllis are growing

liz62
12 years ago

My little green sprout is now almost 5 1/2 inches tall! Every day it has grown a inch or maybe more, do you think it will bloom this winter? They say to water it no more that 3 days apart, but it feels moist to me, I think I should wait a couple more days. Should I think about staking it now, or not? her{{gwi:441447}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.use is a picture of it so far.

Comments (15)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Well,

Looking at the leaves more closely I really doubt these are Hippeastrum and take the bulb we saw into consideration I doubt it even more.

Do not water it until the soil is dry, do not water it ever three days or even a week or two if the soil is still moist.

Can you take a picture of the front side of the leaves?

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the front side of the leaves, sorry it is kinda fuzzy was trying to get close.{{gwi:441449}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:441451}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I think this is a naked lady plant, it had the pink flowers on it this last summer, if so, how long after the leaves come on does the flower stalk appear?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

This is for sure Amaryllis belladonna from South Africa.

Like I've said, it will not bloom this season as the flowers come BEFORE the leaves and in summer. It grows leaves in fall, winter and spring.

This is NOT a Christmas "Amaryllis", it is a different kind of plant than the kind you buy at Lowe's to force for the holidays. This is a bulb from Africa, not S. America, it requires very different care.

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So Josh what you are telling me that it will not bloom this year even though it bloomed last year right?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Liz,

When did it bloom last year? What did the blooms look like, what color and how many do you think?

The leaves look like Amaryllis belladonna as well as the bulb, the fact that the leaves are shooting up in the winter months also match the growing habits of A. belladonna. If it is indeed A. belladonna it blooms only before the leaves as it's hysteranthous. When moving bulbs like these were it is very difficult for them and can set them back for quite some time, A. belladonna resents being moved as well.

Bulbs are much different than many other plants, they don't always bloom every year and sometimes take a year off if they were stressed or had a very productive fruiting season the year before. Hippeastrum don't seem to be as bothered as being moved once mature but the S. Africa bulbs like A. belladonna really hates it.

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It bloomed in late summer, the blooms were trumpet shaped and were pink and there seemed to be 3 or 4 blooms on each stalk.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Liz,

In the spring months I would plant these bulbs outside so they can really flourish.

It's possible they could be Lycoris squamigera too but usually the foliage is a bit more glaucous and doesn't pop up until spring or late winter but with the warm indoor temps it could have been fooled.

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My other one is staring to sprout, here{{gwi:441453}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us is a picture of it.

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

This web site has a couple of good pictures if it is the Lycoris squamigera (Also known as a Surprise Lily, Naked Lady, or Resurrection Lily--probably more names for it.)

http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/2010/04/clothed-ladies-of-spring.html

If you saw the blooms, you might recognize if you have this same plant from the pictures on the web site.

I have a big patch of these and the leaves come up in the spring. I can never remember what month the leaves come up--whatever month it is, it's already mowing the yard season. Eventually the leaves die down.

Then it's right before school starts, in August, that the flowers come up--with no leaves.

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a picture of my leaves, they are really growing tall and I have 2 others that are {{gwi:441455}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.ussprouting now.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I CAN FINALLY BE SURE OF WHAT THESE ARE :)

Lycoris :)

Plant them in the ground this spring, you don't want to grow them in pots as they rarely bloom unless given AMPLE space!! These will not bloom until next summer. They bloom before the leaves in late summer and will probably skip a season from being dug. They really resent being moved.

• liz62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Have you ever heard of them being grown in a vase with water?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Liz,

No, most plants cannot be grown with the roots emerged in water and if so they will die. Unless you find them growing submerged in nature or they're aquatic it is not advisable.

These plants in particular NEED to be planted in the ground to thrive unless you pay extremely careful attention to them. Please research Lycoris squamigera and since this plant is hardy in your zone it will do best in the ground.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Liz,

I don't have any specific information about growing bulbs in water. I have seen quite a few setups for purchase that suggest it (glass container, rocks/pebbles and photo on box), but since I live in Florida, I grow all of my hippeastrum bulbs outside in the ground. I would think that one of the main concerns would be that the bulb itself not sit in water - only the roots. Almost any kind of bulb tends to rot if sitting in water (or soggy soil).

If you want to give it a try, there is a Hydroponics Forum on GardenWeb that may be helpful - see link below.

Have fun!
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroponics Forum

Sponsored
More Discussions