Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonm08

Opal Star

johnsonm08
11 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised --its from the box kit at Wmart!
Mike

Comments (9)

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And a close up.
    I think it will get some Exotic Star pollen!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Yep that's it! It gets better as it's open longer too...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Yay!!! Was it labeled Opal Star??
    K

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it was labeled Opal Star. When I saw the box I grabbed it right away-it was the only one--later I was thinking it would turn out as Amigo or whatever the sub was this year......
    Does anyone have 'Cherry Crush' to compare? Emaryllis says they are the same. My CC isnt even close to blooming so I doubt I'll be able to compare them side by side.
    Mike

11 years ago

Cherry Crush and Opal Star ARE the same! AND, believe it or not, I bought my Opal Star under the name Seductress!! They dropped that name and started calling it Opal Star (which it is) and this year they are calling it Cherry Crush. This is all at EasytoGrowBulbs. For the life of me I can't imagine why they changed the name of this bulb in particular as it only serves to confuse people..wouldn't be to sell more bulbs would it?
    Whatever you call it I love it. It's a bulb that has the colors of autumn leaves..it would be a very appropriate bulb for Thanksgiving if one could get it to bloom at that time!

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 12:03

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

And one could get it to bloom for Thanksgiving if one wanted to go through the process of changing its dormancy schedule. As Hippeastrum bloom naturally in spring or early summer, and are forced for Christmas, it wouldn't be too difficult. It would require a cooler or refrigeration of some sort, but... it's possible!

Why certain companies feel the need to play around with names, I don't know... people normally buy bulbs based upon the flower, and not the name. Normally, that is.

Whatever it's called, it's extremely lovely!

11 years ago

Very nice Mike, I was always under the impression that Cherry Crush and Opal Star were the same..even Bill from Emaryllis.com though so too. I don't know what that different one is that Kristi got but her Cherry Crush appears to be different..lucky draw!

I wish you luck pollinating with Opal Star. I have never had any success with Opal Star at all and I've been trying for 2 years. I think I finally got a few seeds using Ruby Star last season after dozens of attempts. I've got about 10 seedlings labeled Ebay # 1 x Ruby Star...time will tell..whenever I get aberrant seedlings I'm always afraid I may have selfed it by mistake...
    Since you've got so many flowers to play around with I'm sure you'll be successful!!...Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I think that the areas in Opal Star that are greenish-cream are whiter in Cherry Crush. I see it in your photos too Mike! The upper tepals are red and white vs red and greenish-cream; the centers of the blooms look very much alike, but the only clear difference I saw was in the midrib stripes and tips.
    ;-?
    K

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions