Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Myth or reality

brigarif Khan
10 years ago

Bulb pulls itself down.
Not true
Bill from Amaryllis study group once recommended placing a 4X4 tile under every bulb to prevent it from digging in.
I say it is not true. When we plant seedlings the small bulb is placed completely below the surface, it keeps growing below the surface and after three years when it blooms it is half to one inch below the surface.
A mature bulb in ground or pot produces bulb lets which keep growing below surface and over years they also produce bulb-lets which are even below the second generation. Once I visited a friend who had a pot of Papillio full of leaves which had never bloomed in many years. We opened up the pot and found it full of bulb lets down to half the height of the large pot.
This you may find in beds left untouched for years.
The bulbs in this picture were planted 4 years ago; they have not gone down at all.
{{gwi:383319}}From Misc 2013

Water from below,
Possible only if you have a few bulbs.
Water only when the soil is dry
Pots or ground, It is better to keep the soil moist all the time (my experience).
Dormancy is a must to ensure blooming
Not true; ever greens will bloom normally even if you do not force dormancy.
HEDCO advised to force a resting period of at least two months (by withdrawing water). This would be the time to do so but many of mine are growing new leaves, why should I stop watering?. {{gwi:442447}}From Anaryllis 2013

Amaryllis does not require much soil to flourish
Root bound it to get blooms
Not true; bulbs in the ground grow much better than those in the pots.
Even in pots the bulbs in smaller pots don�t grow as well as those in larger pots.
The soil has been removed to show the size of bulbs,
Small shallow pot with four bulbs {{gwi:442448}}From Anaryllis 2013

Large pot with 12 bulbs {{gwi:442449}}From Anaryllis 2013

Standard 14 inch pot with 5 bulbs {{gwi:442450}}From Anaryllis 2013

Mosaic virus bulbs should be destroyed
I don�t agree
Lemon Lime, confirmed diseased is doing very well and has increased from one to twelve over five years, {{gwi:442451}}From Anaryllis 2013

Repeat blooming without chilling
Not true.
Bill (Amaryllis Group)Once suggested that you can get re-bloom by pulling the bulbs out keeping them out in shade for few days and replanting without cutting leaves after a specified period. I followed and lost many bulbs.
You can�t grow competition Amaryllis in hot climate as Yours (Hans)
I think it can be done, I am quite happy.
Arif

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions