Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

'Mystery Maiden' Blahh!!!!

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

Well my "Mystery Maiden" has bloomed, I'm not anywhere near impressed, it's green with a yellow undertone and absolutely BLAND!

{{gwi:442480}}

Comments (21)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Well, Josh, You've taken a very nice picture of a "bland" flower and you make it look pretty good. I wouldn't buy one, but I've seen worse...

Donna

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Josh,

This time, I think you may have a mislabeled bulb; unless being a "mystery" means that substitutions are okay.

To me, the photo looks similar to 'Lemon Lime' (albeit an underperforming one), but it is difficult to say for sure.

-B

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

To quote y'all...."I see lots of potential"! Hey...look at this past spring's blooms (do a search for Exotica), especially Limona and Exotica. They weren't particularly stunning in the past, but the cold winter of 2009/10 made the coloration amazing! So...let'er cool down and grow for a year and I bet she will surprise you.
    K

• mariava7
    13 years ago

ETG's description of Mystery Maiden...

"with fuller petals, accent washes of pink, cranberry whiskers, a spring green throat and plump buds splashed with crimson."

I agree with Josh. Blahhhhhhhhh!!!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, it is kinda plain, but might be a nice potential cross for something with more color. Maybe it'll just make that perfect backdrop?

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of "Lemon Lime" so I can compare? The plant is much greener in person, I couldn't quite capture the actual depth!

Alana, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve ;)

13 years ago

I think the person who wrote the description, has another job as a menu writer...

I think your flower is reminiscent of Limona, but not as pretty....

{{gwi:376144}}

Donna

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Here is a link to a post that has some shots that will help you compare Lemon Lime and Limona. Limona has pink shadings and reddish whiskers radiating from the heart; Lemon Lime does not. I use to differentiate between the two hybrids. The photo of 'Not Mystery Maiden' appears to be absent these characteristics. Hope this helps.

-B

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparison Shots

• mariava7
    13 years ago

This is a fool proof test with these yellow/greens.
    Expose them to coolish temps with direct sun.
    Limona would blush.
    The rest don't.
    {{gwi:412572}}

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Maria,

That is a gorgeous photograph of your blushing Limonas, and a great identification test!

Many thanks, Blanca

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria,

Those are gorgeous! They almost remind me of "Apple Blossom" :)

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Have you asked ETGB for an ID???

-B

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Here's my Lemon AND Lime as John Scheeper labels it. There seems to be differing ideas with Lemon AND Lime vs Lemon-Lime.
    {{gwi:442481}}From 2009-10 Amaryllis
    {{gwi:442482}}From 2009-10 Amaryllis

(I love my Lemon And Lime-big blooms!)
    My thoughts, Josh, is yours is a pale version of Limona, too. Maria, dahlink...I didn't realize Limona blushes so deeply! I hope my Jodi-seeds look like that when they grow up!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Cindee, I just love that Lemon AND Lime - the color pattern is perfect. Sorta looks like what an artist would draw. The bulb reminds me a bit of Moonlight too.

Maria, your blushing Limonas look lovely. That's such an interesting tip - thanks for that! Did you find that out quite by accident? Can't wait to give that a try with mine this spring.

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SOOOOOOOO

Bill from Emaryllis determined his 'Mystery Maiden' to be 'Limona', do you guys think mine could possibly be as well, just a very pale version? Mine opened in very hot temps, most of my blooms around the same time were very washed out!

13 years ago

Josh,

My Limona is just opening this year and it's nowhere as beautiful as last year.. the blooms are smaller, and paler with no blush or markings.. too soon to post a picture, but it does have 2 scapes that will bloom at the same time though, with at least 6 flowers, so will give it a couple of days and then post pictures, I do think it will look just like yours..

Donna

• haweha
    13 years ago

The (genuine) "Lemon Lime" is capable of blushing too, but not to this conspicuous degree admittedly.

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

This is my Lemon Lime. The shape of flower is quite different from that of Cindee A

{{gwi:389956}}

{{gwi:389955}}
    May be mine is ---?
    Arif

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Arif, I think yours looks a lot like 'Sunny Prince', when did you get them?

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Sunny Prince'

• mariava7
    13 years ago

The "dimpled" original Lemon Lime with the original Magic Green.

{{gwi:373845}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

'Lemon Lime' seems almost impossible to get a hold of, it seems they're ALL mislabeled? All the 'Lemon Lime' I tried to buy this season turned out to be 'Lemon Star' or 'Moonlight'...

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions