Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Garden Web and my work computer

Lately I've been accessing GW and this forum from work. They don't mind (much), but I have left the site up overnight with my computer locked the past few nights.

Tuesday night they ran a scan and found spyware and malware had been installed and then last night between 10PM and 3AM there was all sorts of web activity from the Garden Web site. After a hard disk clean up (not erase!) I've been told to make sure this site is closed when I go home...as the gremlins seem to use it at night.

Just an FYI....

K

Comments (3)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Well, Kristi this is interesting because, a few months or so ago I was doing something or looking for something I can't remember what, and I came across this "stuff" and I recognized the moniker as someone from Garden Web! It wasn't anyone from this forum, but it was from someone that I came across when I was first learning how to post pictures and GW had the test forum..I don't know if they still have it. If you want to know who it was, I'll tell you in an email..don't want to post it here..It appears to be gone as when I searched for it again, I couldn't find it. Maybe, hopefully my spy ware took care it it?

Donna

• npublici
    12 years ago

I recieved spam,yesterday and today, inviting me to click on a link for details about my direct deposit failure. I knew I hadn't made a transaction recent enough to be notified.It looked very authentic except for the fact that it was addressed to multiple recipiants.I used a method to prevent intrusion on the second one and sure enough it tried to install malware.I suggest windows security essentials it's a free download from microsoft.
    I didn't recognize any of the other user names but I'm very forgetful.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, this is the cost of being online. I keep GW and several other websites open 24 hours a day, but I also run programs that clean and protect my computer from storing up unwanted adware, malware and spyware... and I'm kept virus-free. Luckily, my husband is a technology wizard. :-)

At no cost, you can download a program called "Spybot Search & Destroy". My husband's business is computers, technology and electronics, and that's what we use. There's no reason to spend money if you don't have to.

If you got to their website through Google, be sure you're at the actual Spybot S&D website, and choose the download option for Spybot S&D that is free of charge. Download it, install it, and run it... it will remove all spy, ad, and malware from your machine... and running it at least once a week will keep your computer clean.

"Avast" is a very good, and free, anti-virus program to run. Be sure to set it to pick up constant updates for new virus definitions... and set it to run on a schedule so your computer stays cleaned of all viruses.

If you can afford to purchase an anti-virus program, Norton SystemWorks is actually the best. It's just rather expensive.

Clearing your cache files daily will help, too... by removing all the junk we look at daily and our computers store. It will keep your machine a little less crowded.

There are many programs available for these purposes, but it's not necessary to spend a fortune to keep your computer clean and virus free. The names I've mentioned offer the best bang at no cost.

My husband has been working with computers since they've been in existence. I've never bought one or had to take it in for maintenance... every one I've ever had has been custom built to fill my needs, and he keeps our entire network and all systems operational and running at top condition.

Sponsored
More Discussions