Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Damaged Ruby Star Bulb..

Hi,

I received my Ruby Star yesterday and was dismayed to find a huge what I think is a harvesting gash on the side of the bulb. I'm wondering whether anyone thinks I should just cut the piece all the way off or leave it and douse it with Captan, which would be what I probably would normally do, but I'm afraid that when I plant it, the wet soil and water will cause it to rot. A piece of the basal plate is missing also, but it looks dry and OK.

Take a look and I'd appreciate any advice. Last year, I had a similar gash in my Madrid aka Aphrodite from the same company also, that was only 1/3 the size of this one and you could see that it sufficiently dried and it wasn't a problem. This one is MUCH larger and goes in much deeper. I am going to email these pictures to them, just to register the problem, and I am quite annoyed, there is no way they couldn't have seen this gash..!! I will say that the bulb was huge, and the Bogota was fine. Take a look....

{{gwi:442902}}

That's my husband's thumb by the way....

{{gwi:442903}}

Thanks in Advance...

Donna

Comments (12)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

This is much different that what I thought! It is absolutely huge and I think it would be very difficult to keep it from rotting, removing it would leave a very large void. I would request a new bulb!

Josh

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I would definitely say this is sub standard, though you may be able to save it by planting only the root plate in soil. THis is not a bulb of full value! I got one that had a gash right above the root plate like this from VE last fall. It's doing fairly well t(hough all those bulbs had some minor freeze damage but I have been able to clean them up and they seem OK now). Just OK, not " value for money"! They should have been in a "seconds" bin or sold in grab bags at a reduced price.

• mariava7
    13 years ago

You paid good money.
    You deserve good bulbs.
    Period.

I would go ahead and cut it out, apply Captan paste, let heal and plant.
    It doesn't look like it reached the heart of the bulb.
    If not, that part can cause problems later on.
    Water/soil can accumulate in there.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone, I just want to thank you all for your advice regarding my poor bulb...I did contact the seller and sent them these photos, (they are rather compelling aren't they) and they are going to send me another bulb right after Christmas. Can't ask for anything more than that! I do think I will do as you say Maria, and cut that section off since the layers are seperating anyway and I know that it will hold the wet soil and promote rot and as you say Noni, I will still sit it on top of the soil and when and if it heals, I can then bury it deeper. What would we do without our CAPTAN..!!

Thanks, again,

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

I'm really happy they're sending you a new one :)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, too bad about your bulb. It's the right thing to do to let them know and get a replacement. You might be able to save the bulb, but that gash will set it back a whole lot. And I think, based on what I've seen from other bulbs, a gash or nick will kill the whole layer not just one side. So you'll wind up this summer with a bulb a lot smaller than what it is now, and will take a few years to grow back to the same size. Consider this one a free bulblet ;-) and maybe you'll still get blooms from it this year.

Alana

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

I have to agree with everyone about getting a replacement. However I would like to offer you some hope as well. I think all the tips about the antifungal and keeping it above the soil are sound. I really think it will be ok though and I might even shy away from cutting the chunk off. I've stuck bulbs that have been sliced in half by my own careless shovel right into the ground and they have rebounded just fine with nothing more than mother nature caring for it. In fact I have read and experienced that trauma sometimes encourages offsets. So I would say get a replacement but don't count this one out for sure, good luck.

Jason

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice, but I've already pealed off the damaged layers as they were already seperating. It doesn't look too bad, I'll let it dry for a few days and then make a paste (in this case) of Captan and I'm pretty sure I'll get to see some flowers. It was a goodwill gesture on ETGB's part as I didn't request a new bulb, so they've made a friend. I only ordered 4 bulb total this year from them, but they are very friendly and good to do business with. I'll let you know when I get my new bulb.

Donna

{{gwi:442904}}

{{gwi:442905}}

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

I think it will be just fine, it will take a while for the bulbs to grow the layers out but it will eventually. Glad to hear ETGB stands behind their product. I have been toying with the idea of buying from them. I agree that you should see flowers, it doesnt look like it hit the scape bud. Cya.

Jason

• tiarella
    13 years ago

I got an Intokasie bulb that was potted up and repotted only to discover rot on the bulb. I preformed surgery and repotted it. I told the florist I bought it from about the problem and she said she would replace it but I told her I would try to get it to grow. None the less, she will replace it of there is a problem with it in the future. I like dealing with people who will back up their merchandise. I told her about what not to buy and she gained a customer and she gained information on what is really good in a bulb.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I hate buying pre-potted bulbs! They're always over watered and potted in a horribly retentive mix!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All,

Just a final note on the saga of the sliced Ruby Star..ETGB's sent me a replacement bulb free of charge and it arrived today and it's a nice healthy looking bulb. Good customer relations! I appreciate that!!

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions