Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Opal Star'

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hola :)

"Opal Star" has finally decided to open, I feel like I've been waiting forever! :) I really like this one, it's very pretty, lets just hope that next year the colors aren't as muted! It has been in a pot for at least 6 weeks and still no roots :(

{{gwi:443010}}

Comments (13)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Very Pretty, is that another Israeli bulb from ETGB?

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

This is "Seductress" or "Cherry Crush", the real name is "Opal Star" :) It is from the Israel breeders and growers Saad-Assaf :)

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Verry nice!
    Congrats to that flower!

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Joshy...Are you giving your Hippies enough direct sunlight?
    Your flowers do look "anemic". LOL! If this is the same variety as my mislabeled Seductress, then it is lacking some color in it.
    Try exposing your planted bulbs with scapes more to direct sunlight so they'd color up.

13 years ago

Josh, So this is THIS year's Seductress, mine is from LAST year and didn't bloom, but it is sending up a scape for this year, I'm hoping mine will look like Maria's, not yours, no offense....will certainly post pictures when it blooms. Yours is pretty, but not as pretty as Maria's...

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria,

My plants get sun exposure from east and west facing windows as well as 700 watt equvielant of 6500k and 700 watt equivelant of 2300k, I'm sure they get more than enough. Sometimes the temp in the room gets up to 88 which can also decrease coloring. :( I've also had to spray for mealybugs several times so I wonder if that could have something to do with it? When the room was cooler before I had to heat as much the flowers were a bit brighter, I think i'm going to decrease the heat in the room and see if it doesn't make a difference :)

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Keep it around 70F. Your flowers will be brighter and last longer. I would think that the mealy bug spray is not causing this. Unless you sprayed the flowers when they are already open which could "bleach" their color.

There was a season that I used to keep my newly planted bulbs downstairs. Temps. there were in the mid 60Fs. They stay there until their scapes are around 6 inches tall. Then I bring them upstairs (70Fs) to bloom. I remember having such good blooms.

Memories of my good old CHAD Days.
    {{gwi:443013}}

I have written something about this somewhere here in the forum. It was recommended to keep newly planted Hippie bulbs in the 60Fs first. At this temps, the bulbs concentrate in rooting out before putting out a scape. At warm temps high 70Fs and above, most of them will shoot out scapes even without roots yet. And of course, the bulbs that bloom with roots usually produce nicer flowers as the bulbs could take in nourishment already compared to rootless ones that get "drained out" when they flower.

Something you guys might want to try....

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

maria, now i AM confused. so many GW people seem to advocate heating pads under the pots, so mine are all on radiators(we keep our heat down to 60/65) and seem to like it there/are sprouting stalks. but you are suggesting NOT doing that and keeping them cooler?
    thanks,
    mindy

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Mindy...No! I am not suggesting for you to NOT doing what you're doing right now. If that works for you and your Hippies then KEEP IT!

I said..."Something you guys might want to try...."
    I have always been saying this, that every gardener and garden is different. What worked for me might not work for others. And what works for others might not work for me. Only me or you would know what's going on inside that pot. So KNOW and observe your Hippies.

Don't forget that we are "FORCING" bulbs. This is not their normal flowering habit. If planted in the garden, they experience cooler spring weather first before the warmer temps. This is one reason why established bulbs that were given enough care the prior season bloom beautifully. If we get lucky and receive bulbs with live roots to plant then the bulb does not get too stressed out and bloom right. Some bulbs do root out fast but some do not. Like Joshy's Opal Star above, still rootless 6 weeks after being planted. Planted and exposed to 80Fs temps and it blooms like this.

This was mine last season. Planted it right after I received it, rooted out first and bloomed middle of February. See that it already had leaves. A sign that it has roots down there.
    {{gwi:435905}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria,

THANK YOU :) It's a nice 71 degrees and 40 percent humidity, I did notice that before the heat was as HOT *lol*, the flowers were so much more vibrant and obviously lasted MUCH longer!

Thanks a million :)

*BTW, beautiful blooms, and I'm a bit envious at your "Opal Star" :)*

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Josh, my eyes must be crossed or something because I like the looks of your Opal Star. Very dainty trumpety looking and I love the colors!

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I like both your Opal Stars and would be thrilled to have one! What company sells this one? I do not believe I have ever seen it offered in the ones I buy from.

I do not know about rooting or bringing into bloom but I have noticed how much longer my blooms are lasting in the greenhouse. They are getting good light with our bit of daylight plus natural daylight and I have the thermostat set at 60 degrees, which mean they are about 57 degrees most nights when I check the thermometer and get up near 70 on our normal cloudy days. I would heat the greenhouse more but am worried about the electric bill so am hoping the daylight compensates some for the lower temps. As the days lengthen again the sun exposure should bring the temp up. Today it is below freezing all day and glorious sun, so will see what happens in the greenhouse.

13 years ago

Noni,

ETGB sells Opal Star and they also sell Star Ruby...They just sent me my free Star Ruby in place of the one with the huge gash in it..they mailed it on Mon and it came on Wed..from CA to MA..amazing...when the mail works, it works...!

Donna

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling