Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollen longevity?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 10:49

If pollen is stored securely in the fridge, how long is it viable? Is it better to let it dry out in the fridge, or protect it from drying out?

Thanks!

--Rr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollen longevity?

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 12:50

Pollen should be stored in airtight vials or containers in the refrigerator, and according to Veronica Read's book, it will last about 5 months, or thereabouts.

The pollen should be stored in either gelcaps, or plastic or glass vials, and a desiccant should be used to absorb moisture. Desiccant can usually be obtained at a craft store, and you should be able to locate gelcaps or vials there, too.

Pollen can also be frozen, if you want to store it longer. It's important to let the pollen and desiccant filled vials sit at room temperature for 24 hours prior to freezing, to allow any moisture from the pollen to be absorbed by the desiccant. Replace the moisture laden desiccant with fresh before freezing.

Keep an eye on the desiccant... you'll want to exchange it for fresh desiccant as it absorbs moisture and changes color.

o
RE: Pollen longevity?

I had pollen from spring 2007 pollinate flowers in spring 2008 and I have nice seedlings. I store my pollen in clean pill vials.
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here