Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grand Cru

Posted by lizalily (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 10:53

I have not seen anyone talking about this one but am so crazy about it! I have taken photos but since it is red, I really need to wait for daylight and take some outside. I think a description might be better anyhow.

Grand Cru is by color a beautiful current red, with both lighter and darker shadings, going to almost black along the mid lines. There are almost iridescent shimmers. Along the lower petals there is a slight ruffling.

The texture is like a heavy, luxuient satin ball gown! It also seems to be lasting well.

This morning I plan to use some of its pollen on my last "Eternal Princess" flower out in the greenhouse, but I brought this one in to light our Christmas Day and we got to watch it opening for the first time.

I think this was one of the ones I bought from Van Engelen, which means there should be 2 more like it out in the greenhouse. I sure hope so, Anyhow!

If you see a bulb for sale, grab it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grand Cru

I LOVE (ok loved) my Grand Cru. I got it at WalMart and it was the most spectacular bulb. I know I have previously posted photos of it on this forum. I have a 2nd from MZ, but it's never bloomed.
Kristi

o

Nice to find someone else who loved (loves!) it! And I did find two more in the greenhouse who have nice buds coming. Mine are among the healthiest of the bulbs I bought this year and that went through the freeze. We had a shopping trip to the city and to take my sister to the train today. My sis brought back the bulbs I had given her in past years, a Scarlet Baby and something pink I gave her 2 yrs ago, and both have bulbs on them! I have a Sweet Nymph for her to take home New Years when she will have car available for the 2 hr ride home.

I hope tomorrow to be able to photograph Grand Cru in natural daylight. The ruffles down the sides of the petals are unlike anything I remember seeing, as is the variation in shades of red on the petals. I am betting she will be a wonderful "cut flower" due to the heavy substance of her petals!

o

GC12-20-08
Had to go back 2 years to find this! While going through photos I also realized that I liked Carmen too. I'm not usually a "red" person.
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here