Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raydio_gw

'Lilly Star' ?

raydio
12 years ago

Can you confirm this as 'Lilly Star'? I ordered 'Naughty Lady' hoping to receive Ludwig's 'Voodoo' but got this instead.

The scape is 12 inches from emergence to umbel. The flowers are 5 inches wide (from the tips of the lower sepals across).

{{gwi:443510}}

Comments (15)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Looks just like my 'Lilly Star'

Here is my picture as posted on the Pacific Bulb Society page.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:443509}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

It looks like my Lilly Star too. Mine was hiding out with a Tres Chic tag around her neck..and I think the color on mine might be a bit more saturated, but looks the same. I wasn't even sure if I liked it enough to keep it but, it grew so well this summer and it still has some of it's dark green glossy leaves, I haven't got the heart to give away a healthy bulb anymore just because she isn't pretty enough...

Donna{{gwi:443511}}

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Mine came way as 'Full House' which is 'Tres Chic' before it was renamed.

I think it's a nice little salmon flowered thing but I don't think I kept mine... I might of put it in the ground with 'Limona' and 'Apple Blossom'

Josh

12 years ago

Actually Josh now that I think about it I think mine said Full House also, but the picture was of Tres Chic..that's why I bought it thinking I could end up with another lovely Tres Chic.. can't outsmart these mislabelers :-)

Donna

• raydio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. It's 'Lilly Star'.

Thanks all.

R.

• blancawing
    12 years ago

First of all, it was great to see Raydio's moniker when I dropped by. Hello Robert! Secondly, although it is fairly certain that Lilly Star is synonymous with Full House, I think that Tres Chic is a different variety. My opinion is based on the fact that Tres Chic has attractive purplish stems. Perhaps, they are hiding in Donna's photo.

Happy Holidays to all,

Blanca

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Whatever the name, they sure are lovely!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Blanca,

According to Emaryllis, 'Lilly Star' has been substituted for 'Full House'. 'Lilly Star' *shown above* is supposed to only be available in Europe but makes it way here by way of mislabeling! He explains it in the description and it's rather confusing unless you can piece it all together.

I'm posting a link below to Emaryllis of the real 'Full House' which Bill says they change the name to 'Tres Chic' for marketing purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum 'Full House'

12 years ago

Hi All, Just in case there was some confusion as to the above picture posted my me, it is my "Lilly Star". My TRES CHIC is totally beautiful, although as I look at my pictures, I don't seem to detect a purplish stem...

Tres Chic has bloomed twice for me since I bought it and I was hoping to acquire another but the joke was on me.. enter Lilly Star..

Donna

Tres Chic:

{{gwi:443512}}

{{gwi:443512}}

12 years ago

..and I forgot one more thing..Josh mentioned his Lilly Star was a salmon color, and from the look of Raydio's picture his is a salmonish color also. Mine was a garish orangey red..

Unfortunately my Lilly Star seems to be extremely happy and has grown into a large hard as a rock bulb..my Tres Chic on the other hand, actually seems to be a bit smaller than when I purchased it, but it does have a good sized baby...

Donna

12 years ago

..and another thing..that was pretty dumb of me to post the same picture twice..here is the other I meant to post with a shot of the stem..

{{gwi:443513}}

• raydio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Donna. Lovely 'Tres Chic. It reminds me of 'Pretty Lip' (sp?) from Japan.

R.

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Hello again Donna,

Do you remember if the bulb in your first photo has the red markings in the throat, which are visible in your second shot? I'm always curious about these subtle differences. By the way, when it was registered in 2009, Tres Chic was described as a red and white (rood met wit in Dutch) flower with approximately 5-inch (130 mm) diameter blooms. Whatever its official name, I love the flowers shown in your photos two and three!!!

Cheers,

Blanca

12 years ago

Raydo,

Thank you..Yes, it does look a lot like Pretty Lip but not as much white in the center and I'm sure Tres Chic has many more flowers per scape as well as other differences. But luckily, most of us can acquire a Tres Chic as Pretty Lip is rather hard to come by these days...not a bad substitute at all :-)

Blanca,

All my flowers from Tres Chic, (two bloomings,two different years) have the red in the center. I'm curious, why did you want to know, is it indicative of something?

Donna

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Hi Donna,

No, I don't think that anything is wrong. Sorry if I worried you. Since we were trying to determine if Full House (aka Lilly Star?) is equivalent to Tres Chic, I wondered if these red markings are a characteristic that distinguishes the bulb in your photos two and three from the bulb in your photo one. To my eye, there is a distinct, albeit subtle, difference in color and shape in Raydio's photo and your photo one when compared to your photos two and three.

I apologize for any confusion.

Best,

Blanca