Houzz Logo Print
agapanthe64

Cirque de Soleil

agapanthe64
9 years ago

My Cirque de Soleil is opening :
{{gwi:2123036}}
{{gwi:2123037}}
2 floral scapes from a small bulb (6 cm diameter when I received it) , so I don't know how it will recover
{{gwi:2123038}}

Comments (16)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Bonjour Dear Béatrice!!

Hmmm...well, it's pretty, but it doesn't really look like the picture on RC does it?? Maybe it will look more like the picture when the bulb has time to repair itself.

Donnaâºâºâº

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Those are huge scapes in relationship to the size of the bulb!

9 years ago

Here is the picture from Kristi's link to Herculesflora and I guess it's the same...

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right Kristy , I don't understand where thoses scapes can come from ! the bulb is so small.

Donna , here's RC's picture , it's the same than yours , my plant is less coloured , and has less contrast, but maybe it's due to the weakness of the bulb.
    I'll try a best picture;

did you order that variety ?

{{gwi:2123033}}

• salpal
    9 years ago

I think it's really pretty! any fragrance?

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Very pretty!!! Now I can't wait for mine to arrive. I really like the colors and like Kristi said, the size of the flowers are huge!!! I think, with some of these, that next year's blooms might show a big improvement. Especially since some my the scapes had some small damage. I wonder though, if the bulbs will stay as small as they are? Time will tell. - J

9 years ago

Mine is about to open in a few days too, with a damaged scape (there is an actual hole in it ) and a very small bulb but the flowers look like they're going to be good sized also, I can't wait!!

Donnaâºâº

9 years ago

I may not have the chance to enjoy any of these blooms at my house. This bulb had some questionable spots when I got it and I soaked it in an antifungal, but it's rotting from the inside out. A bit disappointing...

You can't see that it has a healthy looking offset. There was a cut/broken scape and then a little rotten one between layers. I am dusting it heavily with Captan and crossing my fingers.
    K

9 years ago

Well, that's a shame!! I hope you can save it and hopefully you can get a credit.

Mine had a spot about the size of a small dime of rot on the underside of the basal plate which I scoured out and dried but as it's now under the soil, I don't know if it's progressing. There was a good sized offset on mine that had a bit of rot too.

I guess Cirque de Soleil is a fragile one that probably should have been sent out a month or two earlier. Hopefully, they will offer this one again next year.

Donnaâºâº

9 years ago

It was an ugh moment. I cleaned it up and then scrubbed my hands extra well. Look at the angry red on the peeled back portion. Fungus? Red blotch? yuck...

I probably will let RC know, but won't ask for a credit as the offset looks good. I fear with so many complaints that they will stop selling to the US.
    K

9 years ago

My thoughts exactly, so we'd better buy what we want this year!! I fear the complaints are just starting, what with shipping problems, mislabeled bulbs, rotting bulbs and red blotch... and more to come I'm sure!! I do feel lucky to have been able to add all these new cybisters to my collection, now if we can all only get them to flourish!!

Last season Santos was a real winner and is doing well for us all I believe and I am very grateful to have him!!

Donnaâºâºâº

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Salpal , no fragrance.
    Kristy , did you see mites ? I read some people found infestation on this variety.
    Maybe our bulbs are small because they are in poor condition , next year they should increase in size.

• haweha
    9 years ago

I wonder whether Royal Colors has a quality manager who has random samples of every stock forced, if not even does it "with his own hands" so to speak, including a meticulous observation "how do the bulbs behave during forcing" and finally does examine the level of congruence between "claim" (from pictures as provided by the producers) and "reality" (how will the stock perform under average, standardized conditions). I am disappointed about "Cyberspace" (the white midrib is not what it "should be" namely by the implicit claim from the commercial-picture) and about "Cirque de Soleil" (the pink color/venation conspicuously fades towards the tip of the segments, which degrades the whole appearance).

This post was edited by haweha on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 21:16

9 years ago

In 2010 when there were so many mislabeled bulbs, I was told that it was due to a fire in the offices of one of the larger growers. I wonder what the reason is this year.
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Kristi,

Oh, so sorry - this one is going to need a lot of help. Its so disappointing when you keep hoping that underneath each layer will be a healthy layer and its not. - J

9 years ago

And you can see that the bulb is not much larger than the scape coming out of it. RC will make it right if the bulb doesn't survive. I just am sure my blooms won't be as lovely as the ones posted here...
    K

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions