Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquarius_2016

Amaryllis Bulbs All Have Red Blooms

aquarius_2016
11 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have searched the forum and internet for an answer to this question, but haven't found an answer yet, so I apologize if this is already on the forum.

The last few years most of my amaryllis bulbs have bloomed red even though they are different varieties. I bought amaryllis from Home Depot this year (looked healthy and were a good price). They were supposed to be Minerva, Red Lion, and Appleblossom, but they have all bloomed red. They look similar to Red Lion. One of the bulbs even has small flowers that look more like a dwarf variety than a large flowered variety.

The red bloom problem has happened the last few years with my amaryllis bulbs. They all bloom red. They are new bulbs from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc. The only bulbs that did bloom with the correct colors where the ones from Amaryllis Bulb Company.

I don't remember having any problem like this even a few years ago.

Any ideas what the problem is? Are the big chain stores just throwing Red Lion's into any box and selling them as any variety? Is this an environmental problem (I plant them in fresh soil and clean pots, and give them plenty of light and warmth and moisture)?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!