Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiarella_gw

RE:sighting Hadeco buls

tiarella
13 years ago

Just found a great new place for breakfast, Grace's, in Anderson, SC and was amazed to see 4 Hadeco bulbs in bloom in the windows. 2 Christmas Star 1 red one and one white one. Asked about them and a local florist decorated the diner for Christmas with a Christmas tree. They used cup and saucer and silverware ornaments, Amaryllis and small poinsettias-very festive! and the food was good too!

Comments (9)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I love when you find bulbs used out and about, it's always exciting!

• tiarella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This sighting led to a local florist who did the decorating and tomorrow she will receive a truck with more hippies on board and she will sell them to me naked (without a pot ribbon or soil)for a mere 8.95 she is calling tomorrow and will read me the names of the types and or colors available. That's what I call service! BTW the Christmas Star that I saw looked like it was a pink star instead of a red star. Could this be due to culture? or is it just another mislabelled bulb?

• tiarella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just one more note to this story; I am picking up Rock n Roll and Intokasi(sp?) tomorrow. Who knows what they will bring to the table?!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

How nice to find a good source! Especially if you don't have to pay shipping charges. Do you know where the source of her bulbs are? From a US mailorder, or directly imported? Good luck with your new bulbs.

Alana

• tiarella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't know the source but she has a delivery truck bring in new supplies to her every Tuesday and she said he would try to look for some different colors or types for me. This is a blatant case of enabling! BTW the Rock and Roll is showing clor on the bud alread and the leaves are blushed with purple on the tips which usually indicates the colors of the bloom will be very strong!

• tiarella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ack! Because I bought 2 nice glazed pots perfect for potting hippies 2.45 each at Lowe's I decided to repot the 2 that I bought from the florist. Rock and Roll was OK but Intokasie had poor roots and a large soft spot! I cut off the side of the bulb but now it looks like a sliced onion! Should I peel the layers off or let it harden off and plant in a few days and hope for the best? It has 2 buds coming up and afraid that if I peel will destroy too much of the bulb.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

About Intokasie, I would let it harden off then plant it with only the root plate in soil. That is really all that needs to be in soil...the only problem would be that it may tip over as it gets bigger. Build a support tower for it if it grows and prospers. Hopefully it will fill in eventually and build new outer covering so you can bury it deeper, or make many babies for you to try again on.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

That is what I do also if I have had a rot issue, let the bulb actually sit on the soil with only the basal plate buried, as Lizalily says. I would also dab some Captan on the freshly cut wound AFTER it has dried for a few days, then plant. If you got all the rot off, then it should be OK. If the wound is kept dry then it should heal and as previously said you can add more soil to bury it deeper. Good Luck....

Donna

• tiarella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted Intokasie today with a layer of stone on the bottom of the pot then a layer of coir material then the bulb (touching the coir) then a layer of granite grit(available at Tractor Supply) to stabilize the bulb. I was going to plant it with a row of bamboo skewers around the bulb to stablize it but thought it would look unsightly(even if it did work!). Now I will have to use a skewer to poke into the side of the pot to "see" if it needs water. This might not be a bad idea for all my hippies!

Sponsored
More Discussions