Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nopets

newbie to amaryllis

nopets
11 years ago

A friend at work gave me 2 box kits for the Amaryllis that I always wanted and she also gave me a box kit for paperwhites too. I am just going to try to grow one Amaryllis for now, I have a picture for you and you tell me if it looks ok to you. I am so excited to try to grow the RIGHT one that I am shaking in my booties!!!

Comments (69)

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it is getting ready for a growth spurt, I hope so.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Excellent!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

One might think that being so close to a pellet stove might be too warm BUT, my father has old fashioned cast-iron radiators (which I love) in his house and he has a thick pine board that he sticks between the radiator top and the windowsill and his few amaryllis sit on top of the board for the winter. This is all in front of a morning sun picture window. So, One would have thought that it would be too much heat, but it seems to work for him...

I know it's not really an answer to your question but if it makes you happy, you can keep moving your plant around like you've been doing. Most of the rest of us have so many pots that they basically have to stay put. Just remember when it finally does bloom, take it out of the sun or extreme heat so the flowers will last longer for you to enjoy.
    Your last picture looks fine so keep up the good work and have fun...

Donna

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Donna, I just don't want to confuse it like I did with the Naked Lady (the wrong one)!I think I will put the pot on the back of the stove in a metal pie pan, the bowl I have it in would probably melt. I think I will set it there when we get back and let it have bottom heat most of the day. It is cloudy and cool by the window so they need some heat.

11 years ago

I think that will be too hot. It needs something to offer more buffering between the roots and heat. A friend keeps a kettle on her wood stove to provide steam/ humidity. Sounds like they can get hot. If its hot enough to melt plastic, it could kill the roots not encourage them. How about a board as Donna suggested?
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got the other Amaryllis out of the box and have it in the green vase to get the roots going, does that look ok to you?

11 years ago

Forcing an amaryllis in water is really not optimal. I'd switch it over to soil if you want to keep it after it blooms.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I decided to do as you said K, I put it in potting soil, I was not too sure how it was going to grow in just water and I do want to grow it next year. The first one has greened up and all the paperwhite sprouts have greened and growed up really nice. The first paperwhite bulb has another sprout on it which makes me very happy.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I decided to do as you said K, I put it in potting soil, I was not too sure how it was going to grow in just water and I do want to grow it next year. The first one has greened up and all the paperwhite sprouts have greened and growed up really nice. The first paperwhite bulb has another sprout on it which makes me very happy.

{{!gwi}}

11 years ago

I think it will be much happier with nutrients and structure for its roots. Photos when they bloom please!!
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This brown part on the leaf of the new Amaryllis I just potted up, is that alright to leave it alone or should I cut it off?

11 years ago

It's fine. It's just the dried edge of a leaf that was cut off prior to the bulb being put into dormancy.

K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The new Amaryllis that I took it out the other day is actually turning green, not fast but it IS greening up. I just watered the older one, I took my finger and put it in the soil to my second knuckle and it was dry when I took it back out, so I watered it some not a whole lot but some. I know it is going to take some time and patience(I hate that word)! I get so obsessed with the flowers that my hubby gets worried. I just don't want anything to happen to them.

11 years ago

I see the paper whites are doing well too. You're on your way to being a Hippi addict!!
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Already there K, I have some brown on one of my Paperwhites, I don't know if that is a reason to worry or not, I have Minerva in the window where the light can get to her, the other I don't think is ready for that much light, I don't want to sunburn it, I put the Paperwhites in a place where there is not a lot of light to see if the rest of them will straighten up, here is a picture of the brown on the Paperwhite.

11 years ago

Don't worry about it...looks like could have been damaged in packing.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this something I should be concerned about? There is red on the other side just like it, I am thinking it is growing more, am I right? Help me out K, please!

11 years ago

I have seen places on the scape turn red where it rubs against the neck as it's coming out when the neck is too tight, but I've also seen red spots like that when there is fungus infection. Under the FAQ message look for fungus.

Red spot (Stagonospora curtisii) also called fire, red blotch and red fire is a fungus that thrives in cool, damp conditions. If this is red spot these spots will become cankers with red borders and brown or gray centers. Although it looks bad, it won't kill the plant. It may weaken the scape and it might break, so you can put the scape in a vase if it does.

Maintaining good environment and culture practices such as using the proper soil, air temperature, humidity, watering, etc is vital. Many of us use a product made by Schultz, which is a multipurpose spray: insecticide, miticide, and fungicide. Since your resources are limited, just keep an eye on it and keep us posted. Only water the soil. Try to keep the bulb dry when you water. Cinnamon is supposed to have antifungal properties, so if this spreads, you can make a paste of cinnamon and paint it on the spots.

K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could that be what is making the leaves this strange color? I noticed that the leaves ARE rubbing against the scape as it comes out, I will keep an eye on it and let you know what happens. By the way, do you advise against bottom watering or do you support it? It seems like a good idea to keep the water away from the bulb. What do you think K?

11 years ago

Many water from the bottom. Top with care or bottom... Whatever works for you,

Some hybrids have leaves that are darker, even scapes with a red or brown hue. San Antonio Rose has a big red stripe that runs up the back of each leaf.

The bulb in the photo above looks fine.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks K, I am glad there is a place where I can go and get my questions answered, I was on another page with this one but no one has answered anything I post, so I deleted it. Everyone on this page gives me good advice and I take it seriously. By the way, my first Paperwhite that I tried to plant in the vase, it is doing REALLY good, the top of it is above the top of the pot, the others are straightening up rather well too. How much taller should I let them get before putting them back under the fluorescent bulb?[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/1002847ko.jpg/][IMG=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3473/1002847ko.jpg][/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try that picture again, sorry.

11 years ago

I can't tell you how tall to let them get. Some give them vodka to keep them short (I think it's diluted with water 1:10!). I would think natural light would be best, or on a kitchen counter...or under a lamp on a table. I only grow my baby seedlings under light, so I don't know that much about keeping plants under there to bloom!! Although I have some H. Reticulatum that are thriving.

Don't think it would hurt them to go under the light, but they will get very tall and lanky!!
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have got all of my plants in the windowsill, I will leave them in there during the day and put it on the desk after it gets dark. My neighbor put a storm window over our big picture window so it don't get quite as cold as it did when we first got here. Do you think it is a good idea? My Paperwhites have really taken off since I put them there, I will take a pic tomorrow. I hope the new Amaryllis don't get sunburn, but it is not that sunny today.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have got all of my plants in the windowsill, I will leave them in there during the day and put it on the desk after it gets dark. My neighbor put a storm window over our big picture window so it don't get quite as cold as it did when we first got here. Do you think it is a good idea? My Paperwhites have really taken off since I put them there, I will take a pic tomorrow. I hope the new Amaryllis don't get sunburn, but it is not that sunny today.

11 years ago

yes...good idea. Stop fretting!! They are fine!
    Hot summer sun will burn....low winter sun, not so much. Unless it's blazing direct!

REEEELAX!!!!
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okey dokey K, I will try to reeeeelax as you suggested.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Growing plants takes a good bit of patience, but should be a relaxing hobby... it's supposed to be fun! I agree with K... relax! Don't worry so much! Enjoy watching your bulbs grow and bloom!

I'm in zone 5, Central Illinois, with cold winters, and I grow my bulbs right on the windowsills, where they get the most sun. As long as the plants aren't leaning on the glass, you should be okay.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are my Paperwhites, as you can see they are happy and healthy and the new Amaryllis has at least a inch or more new greenery showing.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The second Amaryllis is showing some new greenery, it is getting taller. Sorry the pic is so fuzzy, was trying to get a close up of the new green. It is going to have a lot of leaves.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ooops!!lol!

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That picture was yesterday, here it is today, it seems to have taken off and I think it likes being in the window. Is there anyone out there who agrees with me that I actually will have Red Lion bloom at Christmas?

11 years ago

To soon to tell that it's really a Red lion. I can pretty much assure that you're not going to have Christmas blooms. That's only 10 days away...
    New Years is ambitious ... but soon enough.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But they will bloom, next year I can start them earlier now that I know what to do with them after they bloom. When do you suggest the best time to bring them out after their dormancy? I won't have paperwhite flowers next year, they don't bloom again right?

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But they will bloom, next year I can start them earlier now that I know what to do with them after they bloom. When do you suggest the best time to bring them out after their dormancy? I won't have paperwhite flowers next year, they don't bloom again right?

{{!gwi}}

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

updated photo 12/16/2012

11 years ago

Read the FAQ for your timing question.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did K and it said start them between the first and 10th of November to have blooms at Christmas. I don't have any decorations up and the blooms that I will have will be the decorations, they will be late but will be so worth it. Every time I see the Amaryllis is like it has grown since the last time, is it possible for the bulb to have 2 scapes? There is something my hubby showed me that looks like another scape on the other side of the leaves, is that possible?

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is another web page that I visit sometimes and they suggest I throw away the Amaryllis that has the red on it, they say it is red blotch. I can't figure out if that is why it is not growing like the other one, what do you suggest?

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the red, as you can see it has gotten longer and it is on the backside of the Amaryllis. What do you suggest, not obessing, just don't want to waste the space if the plant is not going to perform like it is supposed to, like the other Amaryllis is doing.

11 years ago

Yes you could have 2 scapes, as that is common.

Yes it could be blotch, but as I said previously it won't kill this bulb. Good thing you only have 2 and not an entire greenhouse full (OMG I can't imagine your stress if you did!!). As previously suggested, you can spray it with the Schultz fungicide or try the cheaper cinnamon suggestion. Either way, it will bloom for you so just enjoy it. They each grow at different rates so don't compare one to the other.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I moved the good Amaryllis to where I can see them grow without moving the drapes, so I put them on the tv tray in front of the window, will they get enough sunlight? Of course they won't get much today it is cloudy. I have the Paperwhites on there too. So I thought I could watch them better, and besides that I think my hubby was getting tired of me opening and closing the curtains.

11 years ago

Looks fine. Ok.... They are in good shape, now just relax until it blooms and be sure to post photos.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok K, I have my chair turned around so I can see them better, I forgot that they were going to get so tall! I will definetly have to find something to stake them with, but as you said I am NOT going to worry about it now, just enjoying watching them get taller and taller. The second scape on the Amaryllis has gotten taller too, at first you had to practically stand on your head to see it, now it is out there where all can see.YIPPEEEE!!!!

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can see the other scape is making its appearance, I am getting better at taking these pictures. The Paperwhites look like something from outer space or something underwater, the way they have sprung up.

11 years ago

Unbelievable....64 messages and we are still on "scape" watch! They are FINE!! Post when they bloom!!! Scape watching is fascinating for you, but we want to see blooms!! Will you have withdrawals if you don't post everyday???
    :-)
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, no more posts until they bloom. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! And thanks for all your help and suggestions.

11 years ago

You just have to sit on your hands!!! green is green! We can't wait for your colorful blooms!!! It's your job to nurture them...and then share!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
    K

• aacor11
    11 years ago

And? Did they bloom? How do they look like?

11 years ago

I think there was another thread on her blooms!!
    K

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions