Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippeastrumadmirer

Paperwhites Question?

hippeastrumadmirer
12 years ago

Hi, guys i'm really sorry for asking this in the hippeastrum forum, but since I talk more to you folks, I feel more comfortable and that I can rely more on you guys! Anyways so the question is:

I bought paperwhite kits for christmas and some are almost blooming, NOW THE REAL QUESTION IS 1. CAN I KEEP PAPERWHITES AFTER THEY BLOOM AND IF SO HOW CAN I MAKE THEM REBLOOM NEXT YEAR? THANKS! 2. IS IT POSSIBLE TO POLLINATE A PAPERWHITE FLOWER SO IT CAN PRODUCE SEEDS, I LIKE TO EXPERIMENT! 3. CAN I PLANT PAPERWHITES WHEN ALL DANGER OF FROST IS PAST AND LEAVE THEM IN THE GROUND YEAR ROUND?

Comments (16)

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

The answer to the questions in the order listed:
    1. Yes you can. Watering, fertilize and more light. They are still with green leaves are very long, because in the spring after frost is better to put in the open ground.

2.Yes, It`s POSSIBLE but better to use pollen from other variety.

3. Not, pure tacettas is not frost hardy.

• hippeastrumadmirer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your help oleggrower, I just have one more question after the flowers fade, do I still let the folliage continue to grow, and when the folliage fades do I put it in a dark spot after or do I place the bulbs in the fridge?

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

My name is Oleg))

Wild grown in the Mediterranean type of climate, so they just fall chill + watering.
    Their flowering time for Christmas - it is not forcing, but the natural flowering time.
    Of course, after drying the leaves can be put in a dark place. When I want to change the time of flowering then put dry bulb in the refrigerator and keep it before planting.I plant them for 1-2 months before the desired date of flowering.
    Flowering in December for Christmas variety Paperwhite:
    {{gwi:444568}}
    Flowering in July cultivar Avalanche
    {{gwi:444569}}

• Mongoose20
    12 years ago

You can keep paperwhites after Christmas, all you need to do is fertilize and keep them moist until the leaves die back. After the leaves are brown you can store the bulbs in a mesh bag or paper bag. Make sure they stay dry.
    Paperwhite Narcissus aren't cold hardy and can only survive in zones 8 and warmer. You will have to store them in a bag until next fall/winter.

You can also cross pollinate paperwhites but it would be best to just buy new bulbs instead of growing them from seed, since the seeds can take up to 3-4 years to bloom.
    If you want hybrid narcissus you can select any fertile flower and use it's pollen. I suggest you look on daffseek to see it it's fertile or not.

Good luck.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Citate from Daffseek:

Paperwhite Grandiflorus
    Fertility:

Both Seed and Pollen.
    Explanation: this variety may be use as mother both father parent.

Mongoose20:
    Sorry, my previous answers have mistakes?

• Mongoose20
    12 years ago

You can use any narcissus to cross with paperwhite as long as it's fertile. That is my point.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

It's not uncommon for more than one person to answer a post, no one should take offense to that. It's best for more than one person to answer the same question that way the person who asks gets the best advice.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

josh,
    In the Russian people There is a saying: a judge who?
    This is me to the fact that the questioner can not objectively judge whose answers are correct.

Because Mongoose20 said nothing, then I'll tell.

About "cold hardy".In your language has two terms: the cold hardy and frost hardy. Although they are close in value (their semantic overlap area), but it is not identical concepts.
    Example: papillio. He cold hardy but not frost hardy. Indeed, in the words of the difference is small, does not it?
    Same with tatsetta Daffodills, they are much more cold hardy than papillio, but not frost hardy.
    Therefore, they do not recommend them for conditions of Canada as not cold hardy but must specify the right - not frost hardy.

2. On the crosses. Tacetta differ from other daffodils number of chromosomes.
    Therefore, long been known that even if hybrids with other groups of daffodils succeed, they sterile.
    And what is the point to repeat the work of breeders of the last century, when it has reached an impasse. It is because of the sterility of these hybrids.
    But hybrids between varieties tacetta daffodills is generally fertile.

Finally, another our people proverb: If you, Uncle, do not know - and then do not say.

• npublici
    12 years ago

Oleg, no one wishes to insult you,or to detract from your wonderful knowledge.We often have postings which are long delayed and postings don't necessesarily appear in the order of time which they were initiated by the various writers.
    Several of us have been successfuly defying the rules of
    genetics in the matching of chromosome numbers when breeding plants.You obviously have far greater knowledge than I.I don't have a doctorate in botany,or in anything else.I have over fifty years of practical experience growing and breeding plants.I am constantly surprised and delighted by the things I see other people achieve in breeding plants.Please continue relating to us the things you can contribute to our knowledge.
    Del

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Del,
    Thank you for your kind words.
    No, I do not be insult.We say to the offended carry water.))
    But to correct inaccuracies do need, right?

I wish you Del,Mongoose20, Josh, and all the Garden Web members, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas Holiday!
    Oleg,
    :-)

• Mongoose20
    12 years ago

Narcissus 'Cyclataz' is an example of a hybrid between a tazetta and a non tazetta narcissus.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Oh, yes. But you have to say everything completely.
    Cyclataz was obtained from the cross Grand Soleil d`Or x N.cyclamineus pre 1922 y. Alfred Wilby Tait (Portugal). It have 17 or 28 chromosomes (DIP or TRIP? probably aneuploid) , fertility: seed only.
    From him Alec Gray received (pre 1953 y.) as a result of open pollination three sibling varieties: Jumblie (chrom. count 24+1b, descendants - none), Quince (24 chr., descendants-none)
    and Tete-a-Tete,1949 y.(24+1b chr.),both seed and pollen fertile - such information is of Daffseek, but I pollinate it and used the pollen, and seeds has not received any.
    But there are information about two descendants derived from it: Anticipation (Alex Gray,1975, Tete-a-Tete open polinated) 6 Y-Y, descendants none, 1 flower per stem - This means that the chromosomes tacetta dropped out of the genome, and we've got cyclamineus.
    Second variety: Bumblehead 1 Y-Y (D. Adams,NZ,1997, Wee Bee x Tete-a-Tete, descendants none) even more interesting in the sense that it confirms the postulate of a loss of tacetta chromosomes from the genome subsequent generations of seedlings.
    Here are today the case ...

• ocbrian2
    12 years ago

I have about 20 or so paperwhite bulbs that are now done blooming for christmas. I would like to be able to plant them in the ground, can I do that now or wait till spring? How well do they do outside, since I have always grown them in little pots inside the house? I would like to plant them outside in part sun with my amaryllis bulbs that I got as christmas gifts as well. How well do amaryllis do outside in the ground? Thanks!

Brian

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

If you have a winter without severe frosts, or you can put them in unheated greenhouse that papervites - you can. It is well watered, and transplanted, trying not to break lumps of earth from the roots.
    Hippeastrum: I did not grow in the garden because of unsuitable weather conditions.
    So you better wait for the council of those who grow in open ground in similar conditions to your.
    Good luck!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Brian,

According to your username I suspect you're in California, eh? ;) I looked up OC, California and it suggests a Zone 10. Even so, in zone 9 the information will still apply.

Where you live Hippeastrum and Paperwhites can be grown in the ground. Hippeastrum hybrids may need some supplemental watering during the summer considering how dry it probably is where you live but the Paperwhites are accustomed to the Mediterranean climate.

• ocbrian2
    12 years ago

So for planting my paper whites outside in the ground, how deep should I plant them since they still have all their leaves intact. They were all gift plants for indoor use so the top half of the bulb is sticking out. So I'm not sure if it is ok to plant 6" deep with the leaves intact right now. And should I dead end the paper whites? Thanks!

Brian

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure