Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum papilio -- Bad Season?

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi Guys,

I just ordered a H. papilio with all the talk on the forum and I got something very, very damaged.. I was a bit upset but I'm sure the retailer will make it right. I wont say where it came from so don't ask!

It seems there are many papilio being sent out this way, it's obvious the problem is in Holland. These retailers have paid for these bulbs and they should have sent them back!!!

{{gwi:372668}}

Comments (13)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Josh, that is one of the ugliest bulbs I've ever seen!
    Hope they send you a replacement.
    Kristi

• aveo5
    12 years ago

WOW Josh! That didnt come from MY seller did it? She will replace that in a flash!! THAT is worse than my first bad one, that brought me to the forum. Wow. That wont even live will it? The basal plate is half gone isnt it? IF that retailer wont replace it and or refund your money....tell us all who it is! 'Bad word of mouth' will make a 'seller' change their mind very fast! Just like 'good word of mouth' is nice to give a seller, when you get something nice. IF you have any problem, tell him/her that you are on this forum and will spread the word about the 'high quality' that that person has. Bet it makes them move fast to fix this problem. Boy I hope it isnt my seller...it could be from one of the others I used, I have gotten 2 'lemons' and screwed out of over $25 on them.
    Still waiting for paypal and EBay to refund my money on them. Well good luck, and show us the replacement,when you get it! If the ywont help you, tell us who it is, and WE can write to them and tell them how WE will wont be buying from them anytime soon!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Josh,
    I thought I saw that "baby bulge"(I'm sure you can see it in your picture) but didn't want to say anything and start another riot (just kidding) but I did notice it!! I have a giant Nymph that has 3 or 4 bulblets attached to the basal plate and also a big bulge on the side up high..same bulb..

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

If you get a replacement bulb, the one in the photo might be a good option for cutting up and creating new bulbs!

• aveo5
    12 years ago

Well good luck Josh. You all told me to plant my torn up and rotting very first Papilio,and I didnt have any of that powered or liquid anti-fungal you all reccommended I use to water it and stop the rot. Well that bulb is now rock hard and growing a bit, at least it is alive and showing life.

So if you have that anti fungal powder or liquid to water it with, peel off the bad scales/rot, get rid of the rot, AFTER you show that company what they sent you!, and plant it up,and keep it watered with the anti-fungal or powder it down with anti-fungal powder and wait a while and see if the rot stops, THEN plant it, and see what happens. But get a NEW and better FREE replacement,or post their name here,to warn off the others. I guess I will see if you had some good luck,when I come back in a month or two.

Good luck Josh, thanks for the help and info. on my Papilios.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, still haven't heard back from them and tomorrow will make a week and two e-mails..

I'm crossing my fingers they've been busy with Christmas and have been closed?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WELL, I ordered another papilio from a different source... I can't believe what happened with the other source, they STILL haven't responded to my e-mails... It's been over a week now but I understand Christmas happening.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Well...I just looked on the site where I bought my mislabeled bulb, and here's the guarantee! I just called them and left a message (and my phone number no less than 4 times) stating that there's no way you would know if your amaryllis was mislabeled within 7 days...I planted mine about 2 months ago and it just bloomed...I'm ready to start revealing the names of some sources that give less than good service.
    K

Our Guarantee
    We guarantee that the bulbs and plants you receive will be:

True to name
    The size noted on our site or larger
    Healthy, firm and ready to grow
    Disease and pest free
    The varieties you ordered. No substitutes are made without your expressed permission.
    Clearly labeled so you'll know which bag is which
    Commercially cultivated; never taken from the wild
    Supported by detailed planting instructions; just go to the Planting Guides section, found at the top of this page on the tab labeled "Planting Guides & Helpful Info".
    We pack each order with care and constantly monitor our shipping partners' performance to ensure that your bulbs arrive in the same great shape they were in when they left us.

Please inspect your bulbs upon receipt and notify us within 7 days if there are any concerns.
    We are happy to offer a full refund (less shipping & handling) for items returned to our warehouse in resalable condition within 30 days of receipt. Exceptions are fast sprouters like paperwhites, amaryllis, Asiatic lilies, Oriental lilies and dormant bareroot perennials; these must be mailed back to us within 7 days of receipt to be in salable condition. Return shipping costs are the customer's responsibility. If you are returning goods, please notify us in advance either by phone or email.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have notified them twice within 7 days... You know, this bulb should have NEVER gone out so why in the world would I spend my money sending it back? It's obviously in horrible shape to begin with....

I think this is absolutely insane.

"to ensure your bulbs arrive in the SAME GREAT SHAPE they were in when they left us"

YEAH right, did they pack my bulb with their eyes closed?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just sent them ANOTHER e-mail, this is the third one...

I refuse to send this bulb back on MY dime when it was obviously shipped in this condition.

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

I am hoping that the 5 bulbs I purchased from them are really the ones I ordered. From the postings above, I'm not so sure of their customer service. Maybe they are taking some days off for Christmas vacation? I was going to order some seed from Harris Seeds and they state that their orders won't be processed until January 2.

Josh, that is a really sorry looking bulb. Hopefully they will make it right. (And yours too, Kristi.) Their bulbs are not cheap.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay..

I have sent four e-mails now and have called (no answer) and I haven't gotten even a HELLO from them..

I paid with paypal and I'm about to file a claim with them. I am very unhappy. It has been almost two weeks!!!

This bulb was in HORRIBLE shape and it should have NEVER been sent out.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz