Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis

bluebonsai101
11 years ago

I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably titled thread. I've now got 4 flowers open and have collected pollen for use on my next plant when it flowers in the next week:
{{gwi:444579}}

{{gwi:444580}}

And since I know some people like to see an entire plant to get a feeling for size/perspective I took a couple of those as well:
{{gwi:444581}}

{{gwi:444582}}

I hope you like the pics and hopefully I will get lucky enough to get seed :o) Dan

Comments (41)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Amazingly beautiful photos..truly...I hope you get lots of seeds!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words!! I hope to get lots of seed, but from what I have read these do not produce seed readily even when you have two separate clones to cross. I suppose this is the reason these plants continue to remain less common then any of us would like :o) Dan

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Honestly, it takes my breath away! I really do need to get one of these (it goes beyond "want"!).
    :-)
    Kristi

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Dan,

What an absolutely beautiful and healthy plant and the flower has no words to describe how fantastic it is. You must be soooooo happy!!!!!! You have no idea how lucky you are that I live so far away...it might grow legs...LOL

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi and Fred, Glad you liked the pics. What has amazed me the most about this plant is that it is much easier to grow than what is generally posted on the internet. The plant above has flowered once every 2 years and this is the third time it has flowered for me so even here in zone 6 with reasonable care you can succeed it seems :o) Dan

11 years ago

Dan, the Internet says that the blooms range from light to darker blue. Your blooms' color is just so rich. My luck... If I were able to buy one off the Internet.... It would be some sickly, pale blue.

Again, your blooms are just beautiful!
    K

• Started_with_bean
    11 years ago

I'm completely blown away! That is one awesome flower! Your photography skills are also very impressive. I concur; this one goes beyond admire. It is a definite must have! Thanks for sharing!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the nice words you guys! Honestly K, the blooms to me are more purple in cast than a real blue, but that is what I see in my pics as well so maybe this is just my colorblindness showing again. I will post pics of the second one when it blooms over the holidays.....hard telling what it might look like.....there are supposedly claims of white ones which would be quite awesome :o) Dan

11 years ago

Cornflower blue does have a purple-ish cast to it. They are just lovely! White?? blah...but the form would make up for it.

How tall is your bulb??
    K

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi K, Well, white would be pretty amazing because it may be one of only a few in the world and ZERO in cultivation that are known to my knowledge.....supposedly they have been seen in their native habitat is all.

The bulb is ~13" tall from the soil level to where the leaves emerge at the top of the pseudobulb. The other flowering one is about the same size....I've got some that naturally grow taller, but they are not as fat so maybe not flowering size just yet so maybe next year :o) Dan

11 years ago

I guess I'm just taken by the blue!!
    K

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had my second Worsleya bloom starting on Jan 1 so a nice New Years day present. I waited until I had 4 blooms open to take some pics:

{{gwi:444583}}

{{gwi:444584}}

To be honest, to my untrained eye they look the same as my other plant, but then again, it is the same species so I suppose they should look about the same!! I've been splashing pollen about like crazy so I hope that I get to add to my Worsleya farm next spring :o) Dan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Exotic and simply stunning!! Good luck with your pollinating!

Donna

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna, I hope I get lucky! The first set of flowers did not last long so hopefully that means I got some selfs, but from my limited experience and from reading it is fairly common for the seed pods to abort for whatever reason :o) Dan

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Good luck on getting seed... that would be WONDERFUL! Both plants are beautiful. I like the one with the pup... the additional plant and leaves add interest to the photos (not that anything is needed to add "interest" when there are such gorgeous flowers in a picture)!

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

You mention the pseudobulb, but as amaryllids, aren't they true bulbs? (Sorry if I'm splitting hairs!)

Your plants and flowers are an inspiration! Beautiful!

--Rr

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rr, yep, I think I misused that term......should have said the bulb neck. Thanks for catching my oops :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rr, yep, I think I misused that term......should have said the bulb neck. Thanks for catching my oops :o) Dan

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

I try not to nit-pick too much. Lord knows, I live in a glass house!

Why does that not sound like a bad thing??

LOL!

--Rr

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

I try not to nit-pick too much. Lord knows, I live in a glass house!

Why does that not sound like a bad thing??

LOL!

--Rr

• sensiblegardening
    11 years ago

I've never seen this before, all I can say is WOW!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Rr, I would love to live in a glass house at least a few hrs per day while drinking whatever feels right at the time that is for sure!!

Sensible,,.,,,I like the name.....I'm glad you liked them, they are some of my real treasures :o) Dan

• DelawareJim
    10 years ago

So how'd you make out with pollination? Any seed set?

Cheers.
    Jim

• molliebee
    10 years ago

oh my gosh! first blue seen. where can i buy one?..please and thanks.

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

its not where can I buy one, but how much do you want to spend.

10 years ago

Haha Devon!! Good one!!!
    And most that you see for sale don't have this amazing color!!
    K

• ghitasima
    9 years ago

Nice ...very nice flower ....i hope this flower to become not so rare ! As everyone to have it Who love plant

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

K,

I could not find the link to email you.. can you please email me .. radhavall@yahoo.com with the info, thx.. I have one, but trying to get a different clone..Thx again.

9 years ago

I have sent you the email contact info. I know Dan won't ship until it warms up and he will not ship outside the US.

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Thx again, Kristi..

• ghitasima
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wanna someone to send me some seed? just one ghitasima@yahoo.it

9 years ago

Try Cape Seed in South Africa. It seems they may have some for sale. I've never seen them for free!

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

ghitasima, On Worsleya Yahoo group, there was an offering for seeds, 5 4 a seed, I think.. I recieved a mail yesterday..check it out.

• tsucath
    9 years ago

Wonderful pics and stunning flowers. Can't find words ! I hope in a not too far future this plant will become more affordable. I looked on ebay, too expensive by far for me. Maybe one day... ? sob.

Thank you for sharing these terrific beauties.

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dan has 1-2 year old seedlings for sale for just a bit more than a Hippeastrum bulb. He won't ship outside the US and is now waiting for spring's warmer temps. If you want his email, he doesn't want to post his work email on line, email me at kristi (dot) boehm (at) sbcglobal (dot) net. Of course, you need to remove spaces and use symbols.

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Kristi,

I emailed him the same day you gave me the info.. No response yet. Still waiting.. I hope he checks his email regularly..

• tsucath
    9 years ago

Thank you very much Kristi. I would like it badly ! But no hope for me, there's an ocean between Dan and me. (I'm in France)

• Talent
    9 years ago

Hi,tsucath.You're not the only one.I live in Taiwan,also meeting the same problem as you.Is there somebody can help us who live overseas?

9 years ago

The seeds on the Yahoo group are sold out.

Check out Cape Seeds and Bulbs in So. Africa.

• tsucath
    9 years ago

Thanks Kristi

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm