Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

This doesn't even look like an amaryllis!

One of my seedlings has mutated into almost like a cancerous bulb. The leaves are growing out of control in no particular order. Has anyone ever had a seedling that did this and if so what did it end up looking like? This is a Pres. Johnson times charisma. The leaves of the normal appearing seedlings in the same pot have very dark green stripes on them. It's just odd!
K

Comments (25)

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

Has it been like this since the first leaf or is it a new development? I always find it odd when any plant seems to mutate when it is "older". I have a Drcontium that was perfectly normal and the offsets in the pot are normal, but the past year or so every time it tries to grow a new petiole it comes up pure albino....weird. It will be interesting to see what it ends up doing.....maybe something interesting? Good luck with it :o) Dan

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It used to look like a normal seedling. I'd say this happened this past summer. I'm gonna baby it to see what happens. I've planted it pretty high just so it doesn't get too wet, etc.

K

Original Author
    11 years ago

I just looked through my photos and I took this about a month ago. The mutant has put out nearly twice the number of "leaves " in the past month.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see what this looks like!!! Should be really interesting although it won't be anytime soon will it... I still see stripes on those leaves....

Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you see the stripes on the normal seedling too! Odd!
    K

• npublici
    11 years ago

A few of my mosaic virused bulbs exhibited whorled leaves and light and dark stripes,without any mottling. The stripes were unlike the genetically inherited ones seen on some Hippeastrum.I kept one awhile and it exhibited mottling under stress of heat and water and fertilizer deprivation.
    Del

Original Author
    11 years ago

I said stripes, but on closer inspection, they are "ribs". Well I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.
    K

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

It is multiple splitting of the bulb.
    Last year I saw it in five of my year old seedlings. Here are two as today,
    {{gwi:371812}}From Misc 2012

{{gwi:444725}}From Misc 2012

Arif

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Arif!!

I actually had thought maybe that was what was going on, but it's just a little seedling. I think it's really odd looking and hope it survives whatever it's doing!

K

• mariava7
    11 years ago

I had the same experience as Del.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well... I guess we'll see. I'm not going to get too excited about it.
    K

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

Some time the seedlings behave strangely,
    Here are babies having babies.
    {{gwi:444726}}From Misc 2010

They proved vigorous growers and bloomed the next spring.

This morning I spotted a group of three among 2011 seedlings which I think are also in the process of splitting, compare the leaves with the others. {{gwi:371811}}From Misc 2012

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Arif.

I had something similar happen with a Lima a couple years ago and just realized that I now have a pot full of bulbs, so I guess that's what the outcome was. Here any bulb with virus shows the signs as soon as it heats up in the late spring/early summer. That Lima and the resulting bulbs have no mosaic pattern on the leaves.

K

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

2nd last picture of seedling on the right as today, the mother is dormant surrounded by the babies
    {{gwi:444727}}From Misc 2012

Arif

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Arif,
    Still no clear answer whether it's virus or just splitting. None of my other seedlings, which have grown out long full leaves, are showing any signs of mosaic pattern on their leaves. I guess I'll just wait and see. I may end up disappointed, but at least need to protect it during the winter. Next spring should tell me what I need to do with this.

Thank you to everyone who added to this discussion; Arif, Maria, Del, and Donna!

K

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

so after reading this I realize that I do have 1 bulb that is splitting at leastit looks rather close to the 1 that was originally posted but I come across another bulb throwing out of the ground that looks nothing like anything else I've seen, any suggestions for me? It kind of reminds me of a calla lily seed pod

11 years ago

Are you sure it's an amaryllis? It sort of looks like it could be a hyacinth but I think it's too hot where you are...keep us posted anyway..everybody loves a mystery!

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Donna I planted some hyacinth bulbs october or november of 2011, and none of them came up, so if that's what this is then that would be a big surprise.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Betcha it's a hyacinth. Leaves look hyacinthy!!!
    K

• yellowfingers
    11 years ago

That is a hyacinthy. I have some in a pot and it look exactly the same

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

thanks I guess the freeze that we had a couple weeks ago woke this little guy up

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

here's my amaryllis that I believe is splitting

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Devonfawn on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 5:35

Original Author
    11 years ago

Devon.... What happened to the photo?
    K

11 years ago

Devon, I'm going to start a new threat on splitting bulbs, so if you'd rather repost it there where everyone will see it...in a few hours...Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my odd seedling a month after the original was posted. I took this this morning. It's shot out a big leaf. The back of the leaf is reddish on the lower half, just like some other red blooms' leaves. This is a Charisma cross so it's not unexpected.
    K

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner