Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Misty'

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys :)

I've waited for this one and FINALLY it's here and it is labeled correctly! I actually haven't had but one mislabel from mail order companies, hopefully I didn't speak too soon!

{{gwi:444861}}

{{gwi:444862}}

Comments (20)

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

You got a lot more color into your Misty then I did. I was rather underwhelmed with mine but I had a whole lot of other pink ones blooming at the time. Very nice pics!

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

she is gorgeous!
    I love her, but she is shy! It is difficult, to bring her to bloom again, i think!
    I lost severals and still have 2.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frank,

Looking at this hybrid I've come to the conclusion that somewhere in the parentage is H. doraniae and H. neopardinum, notice the coloring of the filaments, they're blotched with pink which is a characteristic of H. neopardinum. The trumpet and coloring, shape of the flowers and difficulty of growth signify that H. doraniae is most likely a parent, if this is the case I would assume it could be grown successfully if grown similar to "Pink Floyd", higher temperatures and especially prone to rot it should be in a very fast draining mix!

This is only speculation, I haven't had the opportunity to figure out the growing habits of this plant, hopefully I'm successful in re-blooming this one as it's a stunner!

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

She is nice looking but a fair warning to you as you are a CHAD eventually mislabeling will happen.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Oh Josh, That's just beautiful!! And the deep color..and yes, it has the same funny looking scape as mine, which should be blooming in about 1 week. Did you get yours from ETGB's(?)..I hope you did...I knew it was hard to find, but didn't know it was hard to grow.. Glad to be forewarned,..and if mine has the same lovely color as yours, I will be very pleased...

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Josh,

Misty is very beautiful! I am also wondering which company you got her from. I have to say you are also fortunate to only have one mislabeled bulb. Last year it seemed like half the bulbs I received were mislabeled.

AJ

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got it from Easy To Grow, I'm VERY shocked that it wasn't mislabled!

I wonder if the growers got tired of refunding the retailers because they had to refund us?!?

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, it's gorgeous. None of us got the right Misty last year regardless of the source. So glad it's better this year. Congrats. When you're Pink Floyd gets to blooming size you'll make some nice crosses between those two.

Alana

• namfon
    13 years ago

Your photos are great Josh.

What setup and equipment to you use to get your photographs so good ?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!

I just use a 98 dollar 8 megapixel Kodak easy share camera and behind the plants I use a black comforter. I'm hoping to get a digital SLR for Christmas this year, I'd love to experiment a bit more with my pictures!

Josh

• salpal
    13 years ago

I agree that you have taken really nice pictures of Misty, Josh. What kind of lighting are you using? Good Job!

• gmwill
    13 years ago

I would echo Alana. The Misty I bought from a local specialty store last year turned out to be Susan. May be I will try again this year. -GM

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought mine from Easy To Grow Bulbs, the two I've bough from them have been correctly labeled.

Sally, light as in for the pictures or the indoor plants?
    I use the same for both, CFL Daylight 6500, I've found these to be very affordable to run and to buy.

Josh

13 years ago

Well, Guys,

I got my correctly labeled Misty from ETGB and I am very disappointed. The flower has the correct color, but not nearly as vibrant as Josh's and many other pictures I've seen, and the flower is so tiny width-wise, I can't believe it. You can't even see the color inside without making a point to so so. Am I over reacting..? I'm hoping that the bulb is just stressed, and that it will be bigger and better next year. What do you think...?

Donna{{gwi:444863}}

{{gwi:444864}}

and I thought it was supposed to be fragrant, mine isn't...or am I wrong about that too?

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Donna, that is what mine was like last year. Then they rotted I think, all 3 of them. I could not even see inside them when they bloomed because they were so downward pointing and short. And the color was not exciting either. It was definitely a "misty" color but came through more as "faded".

13 years ago

Noni,

Oh-Oh That sounds just like mine! You have to crawl inside the flower to see the inside...I guess I'll have to be extra vigilant about letting it get too wet, hope it's not already too late.. thanks for the tip. Did you ever get another that was normal..?

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Donna, After my experience with these I am not going to waste my time with them. If I find them surviving among my bulbs that have lost their names I will of course nurture them, But I have no desire to repeat the experience when I could be growing Exotica or Evergreen or one of the so many with exquisite color that brightens a room. And those had nothing which I wished to breed for...neither color, shape, size or color. And I don't have a nose for fragrance either, darn it

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Oh Josh, your Misty looks gorgeous. I fell in love with Misty when I saw its photos on the forum last year. Such a beauty!

I ordered a Misty from RC and it's showing two small scapes now. It's quite slow to growth but I didn't know it would be hard to growth and re-bloom :-(
    I'm keeping my finger crossed that my Misty will turn out a true one and that it won't be sick on me.
    Thanks for the photo, Josh, and for the "warnings" on Misty, everyone.

Here's a photo of my Misty at the moment; one of the scapes seems to have growth out of the bulb center.

{{gwi:444865}}

Oh, thanks Josh, for letting to share a photo here :-).

Xuan

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hum, my "Misty" looked nothing like this as you could see as the petals and sepals were turned out and the coloring was much more vivid. I actually thought it was one of the prettier varieties I have. The blooms weren't very large but they were certainly unlike anything else I've had! They're not flamboyant by any means but I find this to be a wonderful quality ;)

• quail
    13 years ago

Donna, ETGB's site did list Misty as being slightly fragrant. I was considering getting one for my birthday, but decided to just get Blossom Peacock at that timebecause I was ordering other things, too, and had to pick and choose to stay within my spending limit. Was going to get Misty for Christmas, but when I went to put it on my wish list for family to get for me, it wasn't there any more. I figured they ran out of them. But it sounds like people have gotten two variations, the one like Josh's and the one like yours. Perhaps that's why it disappeared from their site?
    Michelle

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County
More Discussions