Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippifan

Dormancy long enough?

hippifan
12 years ago

I've a question again. I had my hippeastrums in dormancy since around half october. Do you think it's the right time to put them in a warm place? There is also a tiny tip of a leave.

Comments (15)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

If they look like they want to grow...let them! 8 weeks is typically long enough. Bring them to warmth and give them a drink of water!! Let us know what happens!
    K

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

All of my hybrids are starting to bloom this season already and have had a dormancy at all. I was going to start watering less the beginning of Dec. and I noticed the majority were sending up scapes so I just kept watering..

I have almost 100% re-bloom rate as of today, I saw a scape popping up on 'Flamenco Queen'!!!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Mine too are all raring to go without what you would call a normal dormancy period. Maybe a month or so for a few, but none really got any extended periods of cold except for about 15 or so that were still in the garage and it got cold at night.. and they are sprouting as well as some that kept their leaves. This season most are raring to go..certainly not 100% but a good showing so far of older bulbs..not to mention new bulbs!!

So, if you see any signs of growth, give them some warmth a little water and sit back and enjoy the show!!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Donna,

Yours are starting to push up scapes already too?

I have probably many, many less hybrids than you do so that may attribute to my high percentage. I really neglected my hybrids really, they got water that god gave them and only were fertilized a few times. Many are sending up more than one scape, 'Flamenco Queen' I see three, 'Sunny Prince' has two, 'Melfi' has two and a few others I can see two.

12 years ago

So far (I check about once a week) I have Popov, Neon, Jewell, Ruby Star (the other kept it leaves and is still growing) Gervase, Naranja, AppleBlossom (my seed setter), Exposure (2buds)and Elvas..these are all showing buds. I have about 5 more that are starting with leaves..so I'm psyched!! All of these are OLDER bulbs..not to mention all my new ones!!

I must say that my Ruby Star sent up 4 or 5 leaves before the first bud poked out..just an outstanding plant..I think this is the one with the gash in it from last year that never bloomed for me. The replacement that did bloom is still growing 3 or 4 leaves..Now, I could have that backwards..dumb me didn't mark them!! Opal Star kept it's leaves also as did about 20 others..

Donna

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you think he's going to flower, because he isn't very big. The perimeter is around the 25 cm.

{{gwi:445175}}

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

What kind of Hippeastrum is it? Some aren't that large but 25cm isn't small either!

Do you see all of those old leaf layers? I'm almost certain there will be a bud that would pop up in between them somewhere!

12 years ago

Donna, how can you only check once a week!!?? I know that once I get started I have to keep myself from looking every day!! Once I see the tip of a scape, I stick a bamboo skewer in the pot to mark the impending "rebloom". At first there's just one or two, and then before you know it, nearly every pot has a skewer! I hope I have such a good success rate this year as I did last year. My original Candy Cane from 1991 (ID confirmed by Ludwig) grew very nicely over the summer and I hope for blooms again!
    K

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Kristi,

I would love to see your 'Candy Cane', isn't that the furst bulb you bought?

Josh

12 years ago

Kristi, You're absolutely right..I check far more than once a week, probably like every other day..just came from a check and my surviving Exotica bulblet (from NBF attack) is sending up a scape and Sumatra and Vera! I can't keep up with them! They are all over the house on two floors here.. there.. and everywhere!! I also have some very interesting mislabels showing their true colors..or lack of color..a white Double Dragon (should be red)..can't tell yet if it's going to be a double..and my White Peacock is looking suspiciously like a Flamenco Queen..should know soon..can't imagine that Flamenco Queen would already be ending up in the mislabel pile!! I have two Dutch hybrids a Candy Floss and Lady Jane that are virused and they are way up high where I can't reach them and I can see some green poking up on them too..maybe I can use Candy Floss for some seeds this season..Please post your pictures when they bloom, just write all over them so no one will be tempted to steal them..or you can put some of your fancy handiwork like your swirling eye somewhere on the flower..that should stop them...

Donna

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Josh,

I don't know what kind of amaryllis it is. I rescued it from someone who wanted to throw him away. So it's a surprise!

12 years ago

Candy Cane was the first amaryllis I was given as a gift in 1991.
    Kristi

12 years ago

Josh...here' Candy Cane! (I had called it Peppermint for years...hey, it was close):
    {{gwi:431012}}

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful flower! So he is 10 years old? Wow, I hope that my amaryllisses will reach that age.

12 years ago

She is nearly 21 years old....actually, I'm sure the original bulb had bulblets, and I now have 4...hadn't really paid too much attention to it until I took Hippeastrum seriously after my attack of CHAD.
    K

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions