Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Jewel', Single Flowers, Fragrant!

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

My "Jewel" finally opened today! It's a very fragrant Hippie, it smells similar to "Sweet Lillian" but much stronger!

My flowers seem to all be singles?

{{gwi:445228}}

Comments (21)

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Was this one of Brent and Becky?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes ;)

I am impressed with "Jewel", it has 12 healthy leaves it sent up as soon as I planted it with 2 scapes! Out of all the varieties I've bought this seems to be the most vigorous with "Exotic Star" at a very close second!

The fragrance on this plant is beyond imaginable, if only I could bottle it!!

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Oh now I have to pot mine up I was going to keep it cold for a while. Does it have an iridescence to it? It's hard to tell in photos. I thought they were supposed to be semi double too. Was this one of the frozen ones?

• ryan820
    13 years ago

Mine blooms as a single and with each flower turns to a double. The full doubles are really something, but you can't deny the single is gorgeous, especially with that deep red ring in the throat.

Keep this one's basal plate trimmed whenever you repot or it begins to lag. The roots are pickier than most.

Good luck pollinating it. So far only one attempt worked for me with Jewel as the pod parent-- and that is a self cross. No word on whether or not its pollen is taken by other plants.

DR

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is suppose to be semi-double but I noticed many times they produce single blooms!

I don't notice any iridescence, the petals are very waxy and almost thick! It's a beautiful plant, it has specie quality to it, I love it!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wonder why I didn't notice any iridescence :( Maybe I wasn't in the right lighting ;)

• ryan820
    13 years ago

I don't think I've come across a hippie that isn't! One of the things that makes these flowers so great.

Jewel has a ton of variation for sure. Donna someone on the LP forum posted their Jewel-- perhaps to my post of mine-- and their's was fully double, all blooms. Luck of the draw.

DR

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I notice the reds are more iridescent but I don't think I pay enough attention! Maybe I'm really dumb but is iridescense when the flower changes coloring simliar to a bubble or is it the sheen, I notice the sheen on all of them? Sorry I'm so dumb ;)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Josh, It's also known as diamond dusting, or fairy dust.. more noticible when you go in for a close up, more noticible when using a flash. If you use a camara with enough pixels, mine has 12.1 then when you enlarge it in whatever photo storage site you use, it brings out the diamond dusting. Other people go out of their way to make their pictures full of diamond dusting, but it's not really the way the flowers look. Too much is not natural...just my opinion.
    Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

I just take my pictures and pick the ones that look most like the actual plant in person, I think editing and stuff ruins the actual flower! Your pictures are always so beautiful and you take your pictures so naturally, I love it! Ryan, you have some wonderful pictures as well ;)

13 years ago

Thanks, Josh, I never fool with the colors either, I do as you say, and keep taking pictures until I get the color that I am seeing at the time I'm taking the photos. I do think I should invest in one of those backdrops that you guys use, I saw a black one in Wal-Marts the other day, but didn't feel like carrying it out in the wind. And I too just love Ryan's pictures..I am the queen of the messy backgrounds...

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

I'm not sure if this is a consideration for you but what I have done is spray paint a big piece of plywood black! Occasionally when I don't wanna pull it out I will take pictures against my bed in the guest room which has a black comforter and bedskirt! It seems to work for me ;)

• quail
    13 years ago

Your Jewel Hippies sound wonderful! I do hope I get one for Christmas... :) Only three days to wait!
    It's interesting that this one can be single, semi-double, or double. If I get one, it will be interesting to see which it is.
    And a strongly fragrant one... Heavenly :)
    Michelle

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I have 2 crosses where Jewel was the pollen donor. Waiting for another year for blooms. I have Red Lion x Jewel and Lady Diana x Jewel. My Jewel is a lovely "CHOCOLATE SCENTED" double!
    Kristi

Here's my "Fused" Jewel - conjoined twins of last April
    {{gwi:406405}}

{{gwi:399300}}

This is 2nd bulb in 2009:
    {{gwi:396376}}

And my first Jewel in 2009:
    {{gwi:377474}}
    http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/kaboehm-hippi/20090125_02.jpg

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

donna, it is thanks to you that right after i read your post about Russell's, I called to reserve, and later picked up a jewel and a mesurine from them! great inspiring photos of jewel! btw, plse tell me where you get your captan; Mah. doesn't sell it!
    thnx again,
    mindy

13 years ago

Hi Mindy,

So glad you were able to pick up a Jewel and I hope yours is as pretty as mine. Still blooming with 4 flowers and still fragrant with another stalk half way up. My Melusine hasn't opened yet, but the buds are spreading out so it shouldn't be long... but of course you're never sure until you see the flower what we've actually got. I'll post mine when it opens whatever it is.

We bought out Captan at Morrison's Home and Garden Center (Agway) on 90 Long Pond Road in Plymouth...just up the street from the Home Depot. They still have it, we were just in there the other day. Happy New Year,

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristi,

I LOVE your double, I mean QUADRUPLE "Jewel", it's so full ;)

BTW, I have been so busy that I haven't had much time to write you back yet but I promise I will!

Josh

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh.
    BTW...and I might post this in another separate thread, I heard back about our doubles being singles and other messy things. As we know, stress does awful things to people and apparently bulbs. If the bulbs had a bad growing season then the blooms are less than stellar, but these were nice big bulbs, so I'm not too worried. So, I intend to pamper my SN and see if she does much better next year.
    K

• quail
    13 years ago

WOOHOO! I got JEWEL for Christmas! It has a few leaves and a flower bud just beginning to grow. Got my bulb potted up late Christmas night after we got back from visiting family. Was going to plant it Sunday afternoon, but I got started taking care of some other bulbs I received, so just decided to get Jewel planted, too :)
    Michelle

• Shoshana ( zone 6) Grambo
    6 years ago

Hello Can anyone tell me where to buy an amaryllis Jewel? Please? I have searched high and low for this and cannot find it anywhere! :-(

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions