Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Unknown Cybister! Any I.D. Appreciated :)

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

I absolutely love this :) It's a very pretty pink! I sent a picture to a few expert identifiers! I couldn't find it on the Ludwig site before it was taken down, it didn't match any of the new varieties either!

{{gwi:445342}}

{{gwi:445343}}

Comments (24)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

That's very pretty Josh, love the stripes, hope you find out what it is...what was it supposed to be...?

Donna

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago
  • joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've looked through Emaryllis, it isn't anything listed! I did contact Bill *The Site Owner* and Royal Colors to hopefully identify!

Donna, it's suppose to be the "Red And Green Cybister" offered exclusively through RC

• hatta
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,

This is the 'Red and Green Cybister' aka 'NR0016' that has and is blooming for me this week.

The bloom on its first day. Mine has a darker red throat.
    {{gwi:445344}}

And a few days after, the petals get frilly ...
    {{gwi:445345}}

The blooms look different than the one at Royal Colors' website.

Regards,
    Hatta

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hatta,

These were identified as "Machala", what a beauty :) My flowers are a bit smaller but this is the first scape and it has been through a lot! It was partially tore apart when I got it!

• hatta
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the ID. Interestingly, this new 'Machala' is different than the one that I had early this year. This new 'Machala' is more cybister looking ie the petals are thinner.

For comparison, here is the old 'Machala' that bloomed in Feb 2010.
    {{gwi:381352}}

Nonetheless, both clones of 'Machala' are beautiful :-)

Regards,
    Hatta

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hatta,

Do you have a picture of "Machala" with a mature bloom? I'd love to see it?

• hatta
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,

Here it is, a much mature 'Machala' bloom for you to see :-)
    {{gwi:445346}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hatta,

Hum.... All of them are so different! Mine is so different from yours. This is what Royal Colors said to me when I sent them pictures of my plant.

"The green and red cybister doesn't have a name yet. It is registered now as Nr. 0016."

My flower is brushed with a pink coloring, there is no "Red Or Green" about it???

• mariava7
    13 years ago

I would like to see this cybister's flowers from a regular/normal scape before I could help ID. Stressed bulbs or "bloomed in the bag" Hippies can produce flowers not showing their right flower color and shape sometimes.

Hatta...Your NR-0016 does look like RC's pic of it for me. Only their pic was taken with a flash???

• blancawing
    13 years ago

The buds on the first of mine are ballooning and getting ready to open. They appear to be a good match with RC's photo.

I will let you know...

-B

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The first and second scapes were mangled in transit but 3 of the flowers on the second scape made it! LUCKILY there is a third scape growing that didn't appear until it was potted so it should be a good judge of character.

So far I think I can safely say mine is something other than the "Green And Red" cybister as mine is brushed with pink..

• hatta
    13 years ago

Thanks Maria for the keen observation. I still think that my NR0016 has less green :-)

For good measure, here it is with 'La Paz' ... and I see more red
    {{gwi:445347}}

And with 'Jungle Star' ... and I see less green
    {{gwi:445348}}

Regards,
    Hatta

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hatta,

I think yours looks similar to the one from RC.

Here is a flower from mine in the kitchen, the flower is fully mature!

*sorry for the mess in the background, putting up Christmas decorations :)*

{{gwi:445349}}

• mariava7
    13 years ago

This is not Machala for sure.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria,

I forgot to mention that once the new flowers started to open we ruled out "Machala". Whatever it is, it's a very welcomed mistake ;) Obviously it's an unnamed variety!

Josh

• blancawing
    13 years ago

My first bulb is correctly labeled. When it is mature, I will post photos to LP. My shipment arrived quickly and in excellent condition with only the tip of one scape visible. However, I still expect improvement next season.

The color of the blooms produced by the questionable bulb are washed out, pale, and anemic looking. I suggest that given time and good husbandry, it could become clear that (aside from Hatta's lovely photos of Machala and Jungle Star) these are all Nr. 0016. Look closely at the positioning of the pale green markings. One personâÂÂs perception of pink may be equivalent to anotherâÂÂs red, crimson, or maroon.

• mariava7
    13 years ago

I do agree with Blanca.

Both Hatta's and Josh's cybisters are NR-0016.

• hatta
    13 years ago

Hehehe .. OK, I take mine as 'NR-0016'. It is a beautiful cybister!

Thanks Maria & Blance for the affirmation!

Regards,
    Hatta

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Guys :)

I do see a resemblance now that you point it out :) Honestly I prefer the flower the way it is ;(

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the last picture I will post :)

The flower is fully mature :) May my anemic NR0016 rest in peace lol!

{{gwi:445352}}

• hatta
    13 years ago

Hi everybody!

To provide continuation, all my crosses with 'NR0016' as the pod parent are shaping up well. After about 14 days, it accepts 'Tosca', 'Jungle Star' and 'Melfi' pollens. I am pretty amazed by the size of the seedpods, a little over 1 inch accross.

I do not have an "Olay" bottle to take the picture with and I do not dare purchasing one, my wife will get suspicious ... hehehe!

So, I guess, a ruler will do fine :-)

{{gwi:445353}}

Regards,
    Hatta

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Nice pod, Hatta - congrats! Funny, Olay bottles is now our standard of measurement ;-)

Alana

Sponsored
More Discussions