Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

'Naranja'.....'Here's My Story....Sad, But True'....

After spending an obscene amount of moolah on a super-duper, extra-gigantic, monster-bulb, variety: "NARANJA".....then, purchasing two large bags of Repti-Bark, a 50-lb. bag of Turface, a 20-lb. bag of grit, a 5-gallon pot, "Fungus-Gnat Killer" granules, and schlepping all this stuff home, and mixing up buckets of potting medium, I was finally rewarded -- after waiting about a month-- with "NARANJA'S" blooms,... and maybe double hernias.

What can I say? "NARANJA", - judging by all the photos of this blossom - is supposed to make beautiful, large, electric-orange flowers...a "kick-to-the-groin"-orange, but, what went wrong? The flowers on the first scape were small, and had a lousy shape... but the color! YEEECH !!! These flowers developed that peculiar species of sick, insipid, funeral-parlor Gladiolus, pinkish-orange. The color of washed-out Mercurochrome. They had no hint of the anticipated, saturated, Tangerine-orange, no warmth. They were almost a hideous, garish, deep, Azalea-pink. Could I have gotten a mislabeled bulb?

I know that these Hipp. bulbs can do a lot better, flower-wise after putting on some good roots, but I don't have the space, nor time to wait. I also doubt that the flower color will change. This color "orange" was not what I expected. So, I moved on.

All was not lost. This blooming bulb, with two more developing scapes now sits on a windowsill, in the main dining-room at a Nursing Home,... in the same room with my Mother. All of the residents will get to enjoy the display of colorful blossoms, and I can get to see the flowers almost everyday when I visit. I now have some extra growing space to bring in another Clivia, my favorite plant. I got to exchange many ideas and concepts with some very friendly, and knowledgeable members on this forum. I learned about the merits of using Al's mix. I learned.

I'll post from time to time, and let you know what's going on, and to keep in touch. There are still some Hipps. that I want to try..."Bouquet", "Royal Velvet"..."Orange Rascal" et al.

I know some of you would have loved to see some pictures, but I do not own a digital camera, and I wouldn't have any idea how to post pictures if I did. Sorry.

Thanks for all your help.

Frank

Comments (34)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Frank, photo please! It's not uncommon for a bulb's first blooms to be disappointing, but from a JUMBO bulb, you'd expect more. Of course, a lot has to do with the grower and distributor's reputations.

Nice that you are sharing with the residents. They will appreciate it for the beauty that we don't always see.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Oh Frank..
    I had a bad feeling from the beginning about your "monster bulb".. that you were trying way too hard to get everything perfect from the get-go..

I personally, am not enamored with these rather obscene overly large bulbs..over fed, injected with God knows what to get them this large. I do have a couple that I bought this season as I just had to try them. I am always satisfied with a softball size bulb and 2 scape's always makes me happy. Just my opinion. Personally, I think you gave up on it way too fast but, I'm sure the folks at the nursing home will enjoy it no matter what color. I am attaching a couple pictures of my Naranja last year, not to make you feel bad, but to make you try again, this time with a nominally priced, traditional sized bulb.

Please ask Santa to get you a small digital camera for Christmas, or go buy one yourself. It's a must!!

(now I'm singing Runaround Sue to myself);-)
    Now maybe you don't like this color.. and you were expecting something else, but this is with flash and without.

Donna
    {{gwi:445374}}

{{gwi:445375}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Frank, can I please buy that hideous, garish, deep, Azalea-pink bulb from you?!? Please?!?

Carol

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

I think your bulb is wonderfully suited to a nursing home, I think it's wonderful they get to enjoy it ;) Many were probably gardners and without a lot of space to garden now get excited for things such as large flowered Hippeastrum to brighten their day!

Also, take into account temperature and sunlight can have a HUGE amount to do with flower coloring. If they're getting strong sunlight in a cooler environment they'll be the best shade they can possibly be. The more shade and heat the more "washed" out they'll look! Many think that the warmer the better but Hippeastrum while flowering benefit from cooler temps!

I hope they can get a lot out of the bulb at the nursing home, I'm sure it makes their day! Let them enjoy it, I'm sure they do!

Josh

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kristi, Donna.....

Thanks for the supportive and uplifting thoughts. I had a great deal of anticipated enjoyment growing this particular variety. Yes, it was a let-down, but I'm still positive about growing Hipps. I may even order another "N" and try again...the next time, with a regular-sized bulb as you've suggested.

The attached photos showing a beautiful "NARANJA" are no where near what I saw growing out of my bulb, and the color in these pictures, shows a deep, glowing, saturated tangerine-orange, and, if you look closely at the photo taken in natural light, you'll see some golden washes over some of the petals. Warm, even hot, colors! Now, this torrid "senorita" is my kind of gal!

My "old bag" "NARANJA" had a cold, almost greenish cast, to the sickish-pinkish orange coloration of the flower parts.

I probably should've waited at least another year before giving the bulb the heave-ho, but I never let myself become too attached to any one plant. Thirty years ago, I would/could have given the bulb some time to prove itself, but not now. Can't waste the growing space. If I no like it, I no grow it. Next!! Besides, the residents in "The Home" already love the plant. What's better than that?

Happy growing to all.

Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I was so excited for you, Frank... I know how much you put into growing this particular bulb, and I can well imagine your level of anticipation. All is not lost, however... oftentimes, a bulb will bloom slightly different with the second and third scapes, so you may yet see a shade of orange that closer mimics what you had expected.

In any event, placing it where your Mother and her compatriots can enjoy it is a wonderful thing! I'm sure many of the residents are glad for an opportunity to watch such a lovely floral display open... as gardening is something that, once loved and enjoyed, would be hard to give up.

As I, myself, age and the effects of Lupus and prior trauma take their toll, I am greatly frustrated by the fact that I seem able to do less and less as the seasons pass... so I imagine your Mother and others are thrilled to see such beauty! It's one of the reasons I am so insistent upon learning as much as I can about growing the various plants I enjoy... one day, a windowsill garden will be the only growing I'll be able to manage.

As far as orange goes, I found "Orange Sovereign" to be one of the deepest orange hybrid Hippeastrums I ever grew... you may want to keep it in mind should you ever wish to try again. I obtained the variety from Royal Colors, if memory serves.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, Frank... I managed to locate several orchid sellers online that carry either "Yellow Bird" or a Richard Mueller cross with similar characteristics. Carter & Holmes, Marble Branch Farms, Clown Alley Orchids, and there were a couple of other places that escape memory at the moment. I Googled the various names in different ways and came up with several choices. I'm also keeping a vigilant watch on Ebay, just in case something pops up within my price range.

A cell phone with a camera option will work for posting photos, if you have one, Frank... though I've found that today's average digital cameras take amazing pictures and are fairly easy to use. I use a little Cannon Powershot, which was very inexpensive through Ebay, and I've had wonderful luck getting clear, concise photos. Posting them here is really easy once you sign up for a free online photo album storage account with one of the major websites that caters to this sort of thing. I use PhotoBucket, but there are others.

One of our family mottos to live by states... "expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed"... which seems rather pessimistic, until you find out that we've had a long list of unexpected and very unlucky things happen to us. At that point, you realize it's more like sage advice! ;-)

Clivia is another plant that is easy to grow in a window garden, and there are many lovely varieties with gorgeous flowers! You can't go wrong with Clivia, and in fact, I have two, myself! They're just your average yellow and orange flowered varieties, but I can't wait to get them to bloom, and will consider it a fine accomplishment!

Happier Growing! :-)

12 years ago

Frank, I have a number of big, juicy Orange Sovereigns I can trade for that old pink. Anyone on the forum can tell you how partial I am to pinks. These Orange Sovereigns are big, reliable and I've had them in the ground here in Jacksonville for about eight years. My offer to buy/trade was serious!

Carol

12 years ago

The HEAVE HO!?!?! Have you lost your senses man? Good God, what were you thinking?!!? There are several homes for wayward bulbs on this list. Look for BronxFigs mugshot in your local USPS as #1 most wanted bulb felon! Bulb abuse is a serious crime in all 50 states! You should have realized that when you signed up for this program!
    :-) hehehehe
    K

12 years ago

Not to mention if you went on eBay... and saw that pinks outsell and outprice almost ALL of the others 2:1. (except maybe papilo)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, my anticipation about the "NARANJA" flowers turned into a bitter-sweet, affair to remember, but the Grand Dame has brightened the day for many old-timers. I try to visit my Mom everyday. At 88 years old, she can barely recognize me anymore, but when the flowers came into the day-room her face showed a fleeting glint of joy, of past times.... very sad. I cry a lot. So,... "NARANJA" will now serve it's true purpose, and share her beauty with those more deserving that I.

Jodi...."Yellow-Bird" is the plant for you. It will grow like wildfire and reward you with blooms that last for months. Grow it outside, in full sun in the Summer, and a bright, sunny window in the Winter months. I used a mix very similar to Al's with the addition of tree-fern fiber, which looks like black, shredded wheat. "Richard Mueller" is nice, but "Yellow-Bird" is nicer.

Everybody, who encouraged, advised, and went on this ride with me... Thanks! It was a trip, and now, with a very happy ending. I will check out the subsequent flowers and see if they will have a different coloration. I'll still enjoy the plant. All has worked out for the best, in any event.

I'm going to look into "Orange Sovereign". Maybe this will be in my future.

Clivias are really a joy to grow. Just pot them in the correct mix and sit back. I just bought my blooming-size plants last September, so I'm anticipating some nice flowers this coming Spring. We'll see what happens. Being new to growing Clivia, I will be very cautious about "impulse buying" of these plants. Of course, the plants that attract me the most are also the most pricey. Victor Murillo's Exquisite Clivia site shows a named plant called "BLUSHING LADY" a beautiful, golden, peach flowering plant. I enquired about the price of a small division. I might have considered buying it, but then I would have to sell one of my kidneys.

Thanks, one and all for all the great input.

Best regards,......Frank

Original Author
    12 years ago

Holy Crapola! .... You guys are going to have an embolism! Breathe into a paper bag!.... :) :)

"NARANJA" is better off where she is. The Nursing Home....remember?

You guys really made me smile on this dreary morning. Too funny! Thanks for the laughs.

The "Bulb-Felon" from Da-Bronx

12 years ago

Well, Without a picture we can't even tell if the problem is just a mislabel! The way Frank described his color of this flower leads me to believe that most of the rest of us would probably love it! Unfortunately though, in my experience, in the case of a stressed bulb, the first flowers are the best and they get progressively worse as they struggle to continue to send up scapes.

Perhaps someone in the nursing home would be kind enough to take a picture of this poor bulb and then you could email it to someone on the thread and get it posted for those of us who really want to see it?

As you can see, this thing is not going to go away..until "our" curiosity is satisfied...

Donna

• raydio
    12 years ago

One thing to always remember about most Hippis:

The color, when they open out of direct light or in the lower light levels of winter, will be less intense than, say, when they open outdoors in summer.

Your orange bulb may show its true colors under more intense light levels. Sometimes the difference is is quite marked. 'Rilona' and 'Supreme Garden' are just two that need strong sun to show their true orange color.

R.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Carol,

I think he's given his bulb to his mother in the nursing home, I doubt he will take it back, right Frank? It's wonderful they get the excitement and joy from the bulbs like we do. It makes me happy to know that they're in good hands!

Frank,

I can't think of any other "motherbulbs" that are pink? Many oranges can look pink without correct lighting and warmer temps.

At least you'll get to enjoy it at your mothers! I really would like a picture ;)

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Neither of my Clivia plants are big enough yet to bloom, but I am looking forward to the time when they do! Next spring, they'll join my other plants outside, near the small greenhouse, where they'll get sun, but also some protection from winds and other bad things.

I think it's great that Naranja is creating smiles in the presence of your Mom... what a wonderful thing to do! You know... you could make it a yearly thing... bring a bulb in to bloom every Holiday season for the good people at the nursing home. I'm sure they'd greatly enjoy it!

Yesterday, I found a "Yellow Bird" on ebay... and wouldn't you know it... it was way out of my price range! It's ok, though... I've got plenty of time to save, and I can pick and choose when the time comes.

Plenty of good tips offered here for getting the most out of your flowering bulbs, though... I keep mine slightly out of direct sun when in bloom... so the flowers last a bit longer. But when grown to potential, they really do bloom in better color.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Jodi,

Here at my Lowe's they have 'Yellow Bird" for sale in the orchid section. They're in a pot surrounded by a tall cellophane wrapper that's open at the top, similar to cut flowers. They're between 7-10 dollars, let me know if you can't find them and I will get you one!

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks, Josh... I appreciate the offer. It's winter here, though, and I've decided it's probably best to wait until spring to locate and purchase any new orchids. The temperatures are staying pretty low, and we've already had snow. Shipping would be risky, indeed.

If this were a warmer season, I'd definitely take you up on the offer, though... that's an excellent price!

I've found a few orchid sellers that normally have this orchid in stock, so I'm sure I'll be able to find a "Yellow Bird" once the weather breaks. All I have to do now is hope spring hurries! I hate winter! :-)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Jodi,

I hate winter too, this time of year I have a really big problem with my MS, it seems everything goes haywire and the pain sets in, I really want to move down south but family is too important to me! The cold makes me hate life so I just want to cuddle in bed and forget about work and school and focus on nothing but sulking BUT of course that isn't probable so I smile and go on with life!

I've read you have lupus, I'm very sorry, at least you have your hobby to cheer you up, that is the way I've looked at it since I was diagnosed.

If you can make it to Lowe's you should check out their new Orchid selection, they come from a reputable grower and I honestly think you'd find 'Yellow Bird'.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear you are burdened with MS, Josh. Lupus is probably tame in comparison, though I have other spinal issues from a car accident, as well. Everyone with a normal neck and spine would see their vertebrae curve in particular directions on x-rays, MRIs, or other films... mine curve in opposite directions from massive trauma, and there are other issues... it's a mess, and it's quite painful. I'm lucky to have a very good doctor who understands the issues. He doesn't let me suffer, and he ensures I watch my nutrition, and everything else. I also have a great chiropractor who tries to keep me as mobile as possible. Between the two, I do ok.

Having hobbies in winter helps a lot. I read lots of books, and I have my plants, my dogs, and we spend the holidays with our children and grandchildren. If our family didn't live north, I'd move to a warmer climate in a heartbeat! I wake up every day in so much pain that it takes me a while to get out of bed and get to other parts of the apartment to take care of normal activities.

Like lupus, MS is a kind of autoimmune disease, though your body attacks itself in different ways than mine does. We probably have a lot of similar issues, though. Cold weather is hard on both of us, for instance. I think it makes a lot of difference when you find the right doctors who know how to properly treat you. Getting diagnosed properly can be one of the biggest burdens.

Eating a natural, organic diet can help a lot, I've found. In my own case, I've also found that some of the normally prescribed medications do more harm than good, or don't work as they're thought to. I've done a lot of research on my condition, and after many years, I've found a regimen that works as well as anything can, for me. It mostly involves diet, masking the pain, and trying to live as normal a life as possible.

The start of this winter has been worse than previous ones, and I just hope we have milder winter than I think we're going to have! I've had such bad shooting pains, and worse joint and bone pain this year. I could do without shoulder high snow drifts and icy sidewalks!

We do have a Lowe's in the area we shop for supplies in, though we don't stop in very often. I will have to make it a point to check on what they have. The last time we stopped there, they only had Phals with that ugly sprayed color that people seem to like... although, I did get a small Dendrobium there a couple of years ago for $3, on the clearance table. It's a nice one with small lavender flowers.

You take care of yourself, Josh... and try to keep thinking "Spring"! :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greetings and Salutations to Everyone!

BronxFigs back to convey my warmest, ardent, hopes for a Merry Christmas to all, and more importantly, a healthy New Year, free of strife, and unhappiness, and filled with love, prosperity and peace-of-mind!

I would like to apologize to all my forum friends who have taken part in this thread. You see, I have caused you to take part in a discussion that should have never taken place. Yes, the "NARANJA" flowers were not what I had expected, and instead of reveling in their inherent beauty, I selfishly found fault in one of God's most beautiful creations. I moaned, to one and all, about not having my vain, and prideful needs met! In a hissy-fit, I took the bulb to the nursing-home where my Mother must now, forced by circumstances beyond her control, live, along with her other unfortunate companions. Not one of these dear creatures, looked at the flowering, but rejected "Naranja" and gave any indications of disapproval because the orange color, was not what they expected. Not one complained, not one shunned this botanical jewelry. Instead, they took joy and accepted her simple, inner beauty. But, not I....

Everyday, when I go to this nursing-home to feed my mother, who now forgot how to eat, I will glance in "Naranja's" direction and be chastened, and be humbled in her majesty. I should be more mindful of my blessings and not be so preoccupied by trivial slights to my pride.
    I am sorry that I brought you on this journey, and in effect, obligated you to console my disappointment. You all have better thing to do with your precious, limited time.

Mea maxima culpa.
    Frank

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

Don't be ashamed of not thinking this bulb is pretty, I think it's only natural you admit to something if you don't like it! We have all said in the past our disappointments with certain bulbs, sometimes we just don't get what we're looking for but that's the beauty of it, someone, somewhere will love what we don't!

I hope you bought other bulbs this seasons to give a try, did you? There are many beautiful, spectacular Hippeastrum that are calling for you, Frank! Snoop around on emaryllis.com and see if you can find something you like, I'm sure you will!

Jodi,

Thanks for reassuring me spring will come, sometimes you never know what the next day will bring but we must be thankful for as far as we've come!

I'm glad that you've learned to control your illness and not let it control you, sometimes we let them get the best of us, it takes time but we can be the same persons we were before.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Very nice of you to respond.

One and all, Happy Holidays.

Frank

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

Did you buy any other Hippeastrum?

If not, don't worry, we will all be posting pictures soon of our newly blooming bulbs, you'll see some beauties!

12 years ago

Hi Frank,

We all are entitled to our opinions and whether or not we agree with one another is what makes this forum so interesting! We are a lively bunch!! We do love to hear everyone's thoughts and banter back and forth about our sometimes differences of opinions. I for one have learned a lot from everyone and we in turn try to do our best to help others..sometimes the same questions are asked over and over and someone of us is always there to answer again and again...

As you progress with this hobby (which we hope you will) your ideas of what is beautiful in the world of amaryllis will evolve..just look at Josh ;-) and, we do hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us. You know, we really need each other for encouragement since most of us are alone (within our families) with this obsession. When family members look at us like we're crazy, we find comfort with others who do understand. And when we share pictures the feedback is comforting..really!
    Never think that you've wasted our time with a question that takes on a life of it's own, we enjoy it..we really do!

You might want to bring Naranja home after she is through blooming in case there isn't a place at the nursing home where she will receive the care she will need during the winter and next summer. You can bring her back again next time she blooms..I think you've started a tradition!

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Frank,

Donna is very, very right, we all lean on each other for advice, pictures or just encouragement that we're not alone when everyone looks at us funny because our houses are full of pots. We're a different type of hoarder, huh? I've dedicated a room to my plants away from everything else so family, friends and visitors don't have to deal with all the dirt or insecticides. I've had a nice reception when my plants are blooming tho when they're not and the primary beauty is gone I'm back to square one.

I just hope you'll stick around to enjoy the pictures and information shared. Since we're getting into the forced Hippeastrum season I expect there will be a lot to read and view.

Here are some of my favorites Frank, maybe one will spike your interest?

Moonlight
    {{gwi:445376}}

Neon
    {{gwi:445377}}

Charisma
    {{gwi:445378}}

Lemon Star
    {{gwi:445380}}

Sweet Lillian
    {{gwi:445382}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you for the sweet words. Sometimes I become a little too intense, or even too pensive at this time of year. I don't know why, but I just do. Thanks for your understanding. It means more than you'll ever know.

Now some news. I'm going to do my best to actually enter this century and make it my mission to use a digital camera, and as a lagniappe,.... learn how to post some photos on this forum. I can't promise you just when this might happen, but eventually it will.

Also, I have revived my desire to grow Clivia miniata hybrids after a hiatus of at least thirty years. Why I have waited so long, to once again grow these magnificent plants, is anyone's guess. But, I got that itch, and now it must be scratched. It's going to be an expensive balm to soothe this inflammation!

My Hipp. interests remain intact, and from time to time, I will buy some different bulbs to try out. My plant collection, you have to understand, is in state of constant flux, and I love trying to grow many different plants. Hipps. will remain on my list, as will my Clivias.

Again, thanks for all the kind help and gentle prodding. We'll "talk" again soon.

Warmest regards,
    Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Frank, I agree with Josh... you do have a right to be disappointed if what you were shown is not what you received. You did pay good money for the bulb, after all. But looking at it another way, the ending is happier than any of us might have imagined... and a whole group of people get to enjoy the beauty that is Naranja!

It also gave us opportunity to talk a little, and to get to know each other better. I found someone who can sympathize with what I go through, and I can sympathize with his situation. I didn't know before this thread that Josh has MS. And before this season, I didn't know what a great person you were, Frank, and what a wonderful sense of humor you have! You always make me smile, and more often than not, laugh... you have a unique way with words! :-)

Having nursed my 73 year old Mother through leukemia, I know how difficult it is to care for an ailing parent. I wish you and your Mom the best, Frank. You're at a difficult crossroads in life. My Mother was almost lucky that her cancer was acute... she didn't suffer long. I'll always miss her, but reality is what it is. It was her time, and we were fortunate to spend several very wonderful months together before she got really sick. I'll always treasure those memories.

Life has a way of throwing those curve balls at us, and we can either stand tall and take the pain, gaining strength and wisdom from it as it adds to our character... or we can curl up in a little ball and miss out on the beauty and all the little things that are mixed in with misery, pain and hard times.

Every day I want to curl up into a little ball and cry... but where would that get me? Nowhere fast. And so, I put on my big girl shoes and face whatever the day has to bring. Some are good, some are great, and some aren't... but that's life. Today, I got to see that my common Red Lion has pushed its first scape past the neck of the bulb, and it won't be much longer until those lovely red blooms start to show themselves!

And, I dug out two books that I haven't read yet, so I'm looking forward to sitting down tonight with some hot coffee and my reading glasses... Certain Prey and Chosen Prey, both by John Sanford, await my perusal.

Oh, and we had some excitement today as one of our water hydrants burst and started spraying water all over the sidewalk and garage! Another project that was doled out to some local idiot claiming to be a professional... because the owner couldn't wait for my husband to get to it, moving through his long list of projects that need doing. Apparently, the guy didn't set the inner rod correctly, and it broke the outer casting. I don't know... I'm no plumber.

My poor husband is out there as I write this, waist deep in a cold, muddy hole... playing with hydrant parts and piping. He's less than thrilled, as you can imagine.

But I digress... Frank, you did a great thing bringing that bulb to the home for your Mom and her friends to enjoy... it was almost a blessing in disguise that you weren't happy with the color saturation. So, you see... things always have a way of working out... I call it karma. :-)

Do not be a bit sorry you began us on this journey! It's been both fun and a learning experience... and I always enjoy a chance to share a little more, and learn a little more.

And, Josh... in life, we have choices... and we can choose to take what we've been given and make it into something good. It all depends on how we look at it. My disease and injuries have given me something I never would have thought... a chance to slow down and truly look at and enjoy the wonderful little things we never notice when we're so busy, and we take life for granted.

For example, during growing season, I force myself to rest often... and I see tiny little hummingbirds building a nest, or drinking nectar from the flowers in the garden. I watch praying mantises hunt, and I enjoy the scent that hundreds of different roses make when they're mixed in a garden setting, and a breeze brings it all to my nose. At night, I see bats against the moon as they hunt their prey, and I hear the pair of giant owls talk back and forth in the woods across the road.

I'm very lucky. Really very lucky. If I had a different life, I'd never get to see or hear or smell or enjoy any of those things. I'd be too busy rushing through my days, barely noticing what Nature tries so hard to show me.

As I get older, I realize how short life truly is... and how little time we actually get to be here, in our lives. I don't want to ever regret my life. I don't want to miss the important things, or the beauty, or the love and friendship being offered all around me. Nobody ever said any of it would be easy... but... it doesn't have to be as hard as we sometimes make it, either.

So... take a deep breath... and be glad you were given the opportunities that you have, and the ones that await you. Life is sometimes ugly, and messy, and hard... but it's just as wonderful, and just as lovely and joyful.. as long as we are willing to give a little in order to receive a little, and we take the time to let all the good in.

Ok... my fingers are tired, and they hurt. I'm going to go pour that cup of coffee, grab my glasses, and I'm going to bury my mind in a good story.

And lest I forget, the pictures offered by Josh are just lovely! Sweet Lilian is one of my personal favorites. And everyone else, like Donna, has brought interesting and wonderful perspectives to this thread. I'm glad to be a part of it. :-)

And... I would love to go on a Clivia growing journey with you, Frank... I've got two mixed in with my bulb collection, and they are part of the Amaryllidacea family, if I've got the spelling right. It looks wrong, but you know what I mean, I'm sure.

In case anyone is interested, I'm including my 2011 garden photo album... link below. If you go all the way to the last page and view it in reverse, you can see my year in sequence... as the gardens came to life and grew. For some reason, PhotoBucket tacks on new uploads to the first pages, and not the last. I don't know...

Anyhoo... everyone have a great evening... I'm off to read! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011, Jodi Style!

12 years ago

Chaz had a great sign in his kitchen when I visited him in MA "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!". Josh...the southern climate doesn't make your sufferings any less...they are still there. It's just nice enough outside that you are inspired to at least sit on the patio and read instead of staying cooped up. I hope soon to have my house whipped into shape...the past 1.5 years have been "traumatic" - Josh...you understand, but no need to discuss here PLEASE!

THEN...anyone can always visit Spring (Texas)...and help with the latest Hippi chore! Nearly all the bulbs are trimmed down now. The greenhouse looks very different than it did a month ago!

Gotta run. Worked through lunch (not my choice) and have to be back at it early tomorrow AM!
    K

Original Author
    12 years ago

Is there any better gift than making new friends and sharing feelings and experiences, whether good or bad, sad or joyful? I think not. Only a few months have passed, and I knew none of you from a hole in the wall, yet we have blended together as a botanical coterie, and now we think of each other as sort of a family. Who would have thought this tangent would strike a common chord, and gently bind us to a common theme. This is a true Christmas gift that will last.

I feel very fortunate that you have welcomed me to take part in this forum. I plan to continue. Thanks.

I will end this message here. My prayers will be for a peaceful new year for all of us, and those we love.

Merry Christmas!
    Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

That's the idea, Frank... at least, that's how I see it, too... we're a family of bulb lovers, our common interests drawing us together. And we share our experiences, both bad and good... and we learn from each other, support each other, and share in the beauty that growing plants brings!

Some of us don't have extended families in "real life"... and this is as close to having a real family as some get. I welcome one and all to join us on this journey through the seasons... whether we agree in our growing methods, or not. I hibernate during the colder months, so I spend more time here through winter. When spring comes, I really relish the time I can spend outside, working in the gardens, feeling better when the sun is warm and closer to the earth.

Moving south wouldn't be a cure... but it would sure feel a lot better without the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures! That much I will say! I'd give anything to move south... even further south than Texas! I'd like to end up on an island in the Caribbean, or somewhere closer to the equator. I can tolerate heat and sweating a lot better than I can tolerate cold and freezing!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Forum Members.....

Yesterday I was surprised when I received an e-mail from a Mr. Scott Squire of Blooming Bulb. He happened to read my postings describing my disappointment with the flowers and the color of the "NARANJA" bulb that I planted and bloomed. He was nice enough to offer a partial reimbursement and an offer for store credit. He felt I did not get what I expected, and offered these options as a "good will" gesture. His offers were gently declined. There was no problem with the bulb, it was I who had the problem.

I think that this was a commendable gesture of not only company policy, but also an example of personal involvement, and a willingness to satisfy a customer. Thank-you Mr. Squire, and Blooming Bulb.

I just wanted to share this with the Forum "family".

Frank

• railroadrabbit
    12 years ago

Frank, your experience with the plants is similar to planning a big vacation. I've planned vacations with several stops and the planning was more fun than the vacation. I wrote to the tourism bureaus, etc., and got the literature so I could decide each important place to stop. Some stops are not as exciting as the promotion makes them appear. But the great expectations add to the spice of life. (And my kids still talk about some of those places.)

I was delighted to read that you found the bright side when your expectations were not met, and used the Naranja to make others happy.

John

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

How nice to hear, Frank! A very commendable gesture, to be sure, and one you don't hear too many companies offer, business being what it is today. This is definitely a good sign, and restores a little faith in the human condition.

Were it me, I'd write a nice little recommendation on their website, mentioning the wonderful customer service, going above and beyond to satisfy the consumer. These personal touches are not something you run into every day, most business owners not being that involved.

This is great news! :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys....

Been busy with the Christmas rushing, and everything else that goes along with this time of year.

railroadrabit/John...
    Yes, most things seem that way. Peggy Lee once sang a song called: "Is That All There Is"? Your posting reminded me of that song.

Jodi:
    I was nonplussed by the e-mail from Mr. Squire of Blooming Bulb, and even more surprised at his offer for a partial reimbursement for the "Naranja" bulb.
    I will write a little notice on their web-site as you suggest. Great personal service, and genuine interest in customer satisfaction is quite rare and should be recognized. I will not hesitate to do future business with Blooming Bulb. Thanks for the suggestion. It's done.

Be well and enjoy the Christmas Holiday!

Frank

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living