Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macroclemys

Experience with Sweet Lilian

macroclemys
10 years ago

Has anyone found Sweet Lilian to require different growth conditions from most other Hippies? All of the bulbs I bought last year have either grown in size or remained at approximately the same size, except for Sweet Lilian, which is noticeably smaller this year. Strangely, she produced lots of leaves during the summer, and In fact was one of my leafiest hippies with more 12 leaves at once. She seems to have spent all of her energy producing more leaves rather than thicker bulb scales. I have read that too much nitrogen can cause excessive leaf growth at the expense of the bulb, but she received the same care as many of my others. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments (17)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

I recall that my SL is a little delicate. In the past she has come back from summer vacation looking a bit stressed, but this year she looks great. I don't know what position she was at in relationship to the sprinkler. All my bulbs got dosed with Bayer 3-in-1 when they went to pasture. I'd definitely say that she is a bit finicky.
    K {{gwi:390610}}

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Looking for growing suggestions and I'm not doing so well with this one either.
    -J

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I bought my Sweet Lilian last year and it produced 3 scapes the first with "6" flowers and the second two with 4. The poor bulb was totally emaciated after that and it sulked for months before finally sending up leaves. Now it is firm with 6 leaves but just a ghost of it's old self size wise.. I don't expect to see flowers for at least another year or longer. I'm just glad it decided to grow and not rot...It was a huge bulb when I bought it at a nursery and if I'd seen another this year I probably would have bought another; I just loved the flowers. One more thing; I had gobs of pollen and I put it on everything and everything on it and only one that took was Bogota x Sweet Iilian which are growing nicely!

Donna

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bogota X Sweet Lilian should be interesting. I am glad you were successful. I did not succeed in getting any seed from its pollen.

10 years ago

I was just in the greenhouse trimming off dead leaves and found my H. Sweet Lillian. She's looking pretty good, relatively fat for what she had been in the past. I just think she's very finicky but her blooms and their fragrance are worth the pampering.
    K

• Edie
    10 years ago

I've got a new "Sweet Lillian" this season. She's my smallest new bulb at 22cm but has three scapes visible. Has anyone figured out how to keep her happy?

10 years ago

Can I ask where you got her? Some have lost theirs and others would like another....
    Thanks,
    K

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

Van Geest is selling her this season , but shipping cost is expensive.

10 years ago

Hirtsgardens is selling Sweet Lilian on EBay. I bought a Rio Negro from them earlier this season and it was a large bulb and seems to be fine and sending up a scape!!

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

You can buy the same bulb from Hirts Garden through Amazon and shipping will be half what Hirts charges through eBay. Good luck.
    Maida

• Edie
    10 years ago

I bought mine at the local Agway. Waiting for the first bloom to find out if I actually have Sweet Lillian. The covering on the first scape has opened to reveal two long, slim buds in a creamy yellow-green color with red veining. The scapes and emerging leaf tips have tanned under the fluorescent lights and have a dark red-brown cast.

10 years ago

I called Hirt's. They are in Wisconsin. Current temperature at 0900 was 8F. They do include heat packs in their shipments; however, these only protect for 48 hours. If they offer 2nd day air (EXPENSIVE) that is the only option to be sure nothing freezes. I was actually looking at them to order some unique Christmas cactus.
    K

• Edie
    10 years ago

The first bloom is open, and she looks like Donna's SL. My first cybister bloom! I am charmed by this graceful little flower. For a few days I wasn't sure if I had the right bulb, because there are only two buds on this first scape and the buds didn't look the way I expected them to. Clearly my expectations were wrong. I'm worried this wee thing will waste away to nothing, since the bulb started small and has already shrunk visibly.

10 years ago

Edie, could you post a picture please?

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Went out of town for daughter's college graduation (Woohooo!!!) and came home to these Baby Dolls in full bloom.

{{gwi:435676}}

10 years ago

Very Pretty! Are these your not-Pixies? Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!!

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Huh???? Why did this post end up in this thread? I am very sure I posted it in the Not Pixie one. LOL

Thanks Donna! Yes these are my Not Pixie ones.

Sponsored
More Discussions